Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock vs Goldberg, anything could happen

• 11-03-2004 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

With both men leaving there are endless ways to end this match. There is the possibility that Brock's departure is just pre-WM hype being made by Vince but chances are this isn't true. I mean it's been said that Brock doesn't even play football, but neither did Setanta.
    Do yee think it will just be a Brock win and then on Raw just say that Goldberg is gone (á la nWo). Or will it be something bigger and out of nowhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

I dunno, i'm half willing to start taking bets on who's gonna walk out first. I'll start the betting with Brock as he organises his plane to wait outside while the brawl goes out of the arena! ;)

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Goblin_insane

Can someone explain to me what is going on I've been a little out of touch recently. I know brock is fighting goldberg at WMXX but what is this about walking out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Goblin_insane
    Can someone explain to me what is going on I've been a little out of touch recently. I know brock is fighting goldberg at WMXX but what is this about walking out?

Goldie's contract is up after WM, as you probably know.
    The Brock issue is on another thread :)

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

The way things are going i reckon what someone else mentioned might happen will happen. They could do something along the lines of Brock going completely over the top during the match and using weapons on goldberg to take him out, then when austin intervenes he gets the crap knocked out of him aswell. This might seem a little silly, but it would be a good way to to the 'firing' angle, leaving the door open to both brock and goldberg returning down the road.
    My guess is that the wwe are hoping that brock won't make a go of the NFL thing and return 6 months to a year down the line when he's had a chance to rest/recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I dont personally believe Brock is leaving. I think its an anlge worked by vince and brock to put the spoiler websites on a wrong track.

I dont know its just me personal opinion.

I hope IM wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Digsy

I think regardless of who wins the match , Austin will be swigging cold ones in the ring at the end.

And would any team in the NFL want Brock after his neck injury ?
    I'd imagine the risk of it re occuring on the football field would be greater than in the ring.... the NFL would think so anyway

Aye, the NFL are very strict when it comes to body condition, hence why Bradshaw didn't last pissing time with them.

Nero

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

You never know what Brock Lesnar is up to.I think he will be back if he is even leaving in the first place!I cant see Lesnar gone for long ,I just don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

after thinking about this, im going on record to say this is a work. it just smacks of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Lesner is not bigger than wwe.
    However. They did push him too soon and now he's left feuding with the likes of Bob Holly.
    What a mess. It would be a shame to see someone like lesner go but he's obviously not happy so Goodbye Brock!

I'm sure if he does go we'll see him comeback at some stage.

As for Goldie I still reckon he'll be "fired" so that wwe can save face!

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    However. They did push him too soon and now he's left feuding with the likes of Bob Holly.
    What a mess.

Welcome to what i'm now gonna call the Lesnar Syndrome. This is EXACTLY why Matt Hardy and John Cena should not be given the big strap just yet! Hopefully now people will understand why newcomers to the single scene should be made pace themselves. Undertaker for example, it took him over five years before he got a convincing title reign (don't even think of using that 1991 Survivor Series farce as an example!), Giving it to Lesnar after FOUR MONTHS was the biggest mistake anyone could have made, as a result, it got stale very quickly so they stripped him from it and gave it to Big Slow to transition it to (a very injured) Kurt Angle.

Never push anyone too quickly, no matter how their good ring their ring skill is or how impressive they look, you'll only kill them off sooner than you'd expect.

Nero

Definitely the best theory , which is why I think Edge will have one of the belts and be a main eventer over the next year or so , he's had a decent , gradual building up over the past 6 years , he's ready for the big time in my view.

With Lesnar I think Vince wanted to make an instant Hero in '02 to make up for the loss of Rock and Austin , and as Nash pointed out in a recent interview , he'll always go for a home grown talent before people like Booker or RVD who would be recognized as WCW or ECW grown talent.

The problem there was, Nash probably would have gotten the nod except he was out with injury. And thats a bit of a contridiction seeing as Michaels isn't exactly home grown (McMahon had actually fired him at one point when he broke in the WWE the first time, he'd came from AWA and had returned there).

And don't get me started on Flair who has been NWA/WCW for the best part of his career!

Edge would be viable if he can go more than 2 minutes without damaging himself!
    Nero

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme

Edge would be viable if he can go more than 2 minutes without damaging himself!
    Nero

That is so so true but what makes Edge is his high risk manoveres. he needs ot tone that down abit.

Edge definitely needs to become more of a grounded wrestler and cut out the highflying , he has said no more ladders for him.

What I meant by home grown was the character , not the actual wrestler .Obviously everyone bar some of the OVW guys came from some other federation , but it seems in order to really do well they must go through a character change , Austin was essentially a WCW guy but Stone Cold was conceived in WWF , and Mark Calloway also a old WCW guy but the Undertaker is WWE through and through. I think Vince feels he needs to change them and make them his creation before he grants them the chance of success , I don't think Terra Rysing would be a multi time world champ even if he was married to Steph !

There are obvious exceptions to this like Flair and Goldberg where were such big draws that Vince couldn't deny them Success and couldn't change their personas either and make them his own , if it isn't broke don't try and fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

the one anomily in that theory is mick foley, who was cactus jack in wcw. i dont remember who he originally came in as (presume it was mankind) but he actually randomly changed gimmick from night to night. u never knew if u were getting mankind, cactus jack, dude love or even mick foley as he is now

Well with Mick both Dude Love and Cactas Jack were he ideas , not WCW's ( in fact i don't think Dude Love was ever in WCW ) so i guess Vince allowed them to be used because of that and in his mind they were given the a bit of a WWF makeover anyway with the whole multile personality gimmick.

He was initailly brought in for the Mankind character though , and was for a good year - 18 months.

I think in time Vince developed a lot of respect for Mick , so like the Undertaker allowed him a bit of room to change his character to one he was more comfortable with.

"so like the Undertaker allowed him a bit of room to change his character to one he was more comfortable with."

Of course he's more comfortable with the Deadman Character!
    He moves like a f*cking glacier!

Can't wait to see his entrance at WMXX but after that I don't care what he does!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    the one anomily in that theory is mick foley, who was cactus jack in wcw. i dont remember who he originally came in as (presume it was mankind) but he actually randomly changed gimmick from night to night. u never knew if u were getting mankind, cactus jack, dude love or even mick foley as he is now

Yeah but he had been a steady gimmick with Mankind as his first year as a heel, proving quite interesting for the first few months working with the Undertaker (and actually defeating him! *SHOCK!*), it was when they turned him face a year on is when the gimmicks changed.

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Lesner is not bigger than wwe.
    How many times have i said that already... and no one agreed with me...:mad:
    Welcome to what i'm now gonna call the Lesnar Syndrome. This is EXACTLY why Matt Hardy and John Cena should not be given the big strap just yet! Hopefully now people will understand why newcomers to the single scene should be made pace themselves. Undertaker for example, it took him over five years before he got a convincing title reign (don't even think of using that 1991 Survivor Series farce as an example!), Giving it to Lesnar after FOUR MONTHS was the biggest mistake anyone could have made, as a result, it got stale very quickly so they stripped him from it and gave it to Big Slow to transition it to (a very injured) Kurt Angle.
    I also recall mentioing this on several occasions. Even though Cena is still fresh, Hardy has been around for over 5 years. If he gets the finger out and starts building himself up, by WM22 he could be championship material. However I think WWE are gonna use this thing with Brock to push Cena so fast he'll crumble like Lesner.
    Definitely the best theory , which is why I think Edge will have one of the belts and be a main eventer over the next year or so , he's had a decent , gradual building up over the past 6 years , he's ready for the big time in my view
    Havent you been listening. When Edge gets back, hes gonna seem fresh again. Forget how built up he was before he was injured. Hes gonna have to do it all over again.

How many superstars are gonna suffer due to this thing with Brock

Hanza

rumour mill rumbling that edge wil be on RAW

Originally posted by Hanza

How many superstars are gonna suffer due to this thing with Brock

Hanza

I dunno, the WWE survived without him before, I'm sure they'll do it again.
    Nero

I have to say, and i'm probably one of the few here, but i HATED that ministry gimmick. However if it can help put new blood like O'Haire and Morgan over, then i'm all for it. It started the push for Edge and Christian, right? :)

Nero

They'll eat it up with a huge spoon. Look at the reaction of the deadman returning is getting alone?

Nero

• Advertisement

Your right. It will be hard to turn a character like that into a heel. Hes not gonna steal away anyones woman or turn on a dear friend.

Its not the just the under selling thats wrong with Undertakers character, its the lack of ability to move the character forward. For 8 years all thye did was give him a darker suit. The American badass was the only way to keep him fresh...

Hanza

The American badass was the only way to keep him fresh...

Hanza

And even then, that went stale pretty quickly, especially when he went around demaning respect.

Nero

True. Its like totally verging on the brink of hipocritical!

Too keep him fresh now, is to bring back the old angle that the present angle was the fresh alternative too. Its ridiculous.

Everyone seems to only be caring about Takers entrance and wardrobe. After that, No one cares.

Hanza

Yep, it's called flavour of the month.
    Nero

After the Darkman era the only time I found him remotely interesting was when he teamed with Kane and they fueded with Austin/HHH.

After that...he can keep his f*ckin yard. Im not interested.

I did actually like the 2 man power trip angle. Shame HHHs bust his quad at that time. He wasnt the same HHH we know today. I think the angle worked. However, I didnt think it had much to do with Taker. Kane did put in a better effort then Taker...

Hanza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Firstly, I highly doubt Brock will be leaving. It is without a doubt, just a hyped up skit to draw more viewers into WM. Think about it, Brock playing in the NFL when he has never played before? Who would sign him, I know I damn well wouldn't, poxy neck or not.

If the WWE relys on "old-school" wrestlers like Kane & Undertaker to draw in viewers then they will fall flat on their face. Sure the dead man has that star quality but the WWE needs new blood to spice up things and Brock was just that.

I can see ratings dropping if the try to make a main eventer out of Edge when he returns. He is a stick and at most should only deserve a short run as the IC or US champ. He would never be a convincing world champ.

As far as Kane goes, I don't like him as a wrestler. Even though he dives off the top rope, he comes across as clumsy and his technique is horrible. I say get rid of the big red freak.

Give John Cena a year and I'm sure he would be a deserving champ, he has great talent and great in-ring presence. Let's hope the WWE try not to push him just yet; I don't think it would be wise.

As for Goldberg, I think the big brute is one member of the roster WWE doesn't want to lose. He is as intense as it gets and surely he isn't as bad as you all would believe. He is a bit cocky and does think the world revolves around him but let's be honest, there are few wrestlers that can compare with him. I thought the "streak" was one of the best things in WCW.

Back to Brock, that whisker biscuit; If he leaves the WWE when he is at his prime then he is a moron, although I doubt it is going to happen. He has too much going for him, although I'm sure that the Lesnar/Goldberg scenario will reveal how loyal Brock really is..

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

" I highly doubt Brock will be leaving. It is without a doubt, just a hyped up skit to draw more viewers into WM"

Well, without a doubt, no.
    Why then did Vince not mention it at the WM press conference???
    Why would Brock make a speech in front of everyone on smackdown??
    It's true, maybe just temporary, but it's true.

Austins heel turn wasnt so much a disaster.
    It was funny. The fans could never hate him - even when he beat up good ol'smiling JR.
    It went against the very definition of a heel.
    No heat whatsoever!

But the heel turn allowed him to develop the excellent mic skills he now has!

WHAT??? WHAT??? WHAAT????
    Whats yer name?? What do you do for a living???

If it's one thing I can't stand it's......

Aw man, if you don't know what I'm talking about, get yer mits on the What? DVD :)

Nero

• Advertisement

Congrats on yer 1000th post Nero!

Awww thanks, I just gave a wee little speech on another thread :)
    Nero

Post the speach here!
    Post the speach here!
    Post the speach here!

As far as dlofnep's ideas go, most are relitivley sound, but Brock is walking out, I agree, WWE cant go old school, they would loose their younger viewers. I have to totally disagree however about Edge. He shouldnt get the title right away. He diserves it for the work he put in, but its way too soon to give to to him. He has to unfortunitly buld up everything he lost ihn his injury abbsence. Shame! I think Cena needs a little more then a year before he gets him grips into the worlds title. And of course... Goldberg sucks. Sorry but all this talk by JR about him being a tecnical brawler. Bull sh1t! Sorry! Its bull...

Hanza

Sure ffs I could call myself a technical brawler!:rolleyes:
    You should see me in action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

As far as dlofnep's ideas go, most are relitivley sound, but Brock is walking out, I agree, WWE cant go old school, they would loose their younger viewers. I have to totally disagree however about Edge. He shouldnt get the title right away. He diserves it for the work he put in, but its way too soon to give to to him. He has to unfortunitly buld up everything he lost ihn his injury abbsence. Shame! I think Cena needs a little more then a year before he gets him grips into the worlds title. And of course... Goldberg sucks. Sorry but all this talk by JR about him being a tecnical brawler. Bull sh1t! Sorry! Its bull...
    Hanza [/B]

I disagree. Adam copeland is not world champion material. He is too thin and his technical ability is not anywhere near good enough to be a world champion. Can you really imagine him beating Brock Lesnar without anybody getting involved or using a weapon, or Kurt Angle or John Cena, Kane, Undertaker, HHH, Shawn Michaels, Didn't think so.

Think about it..
    His signature move is a spear. A spear??? He is a twig and doesn't have the muscle to back a spear. A spear should be the last signature move he should use. There are IC champions who only hold the belt as a stepping scale to be the world champion and there are IC champions who only hold the belt because they will never amount to anything other than it. Reasons for this in the past would include, size, weight or for any other reason, just because they weren't that damn good enough. Edge is one of these.

I would much rather Goldberg as a champ than Adam Copeland. At least Goldberg would be convincing. I respect him because he doesn't talk crap on the mic and waste time, he gets down to the point, of which I am afraid to say is kicking ass and not watching two women go at it.

I thought his signature move was the Edgucution, which was a lot more convincing than the spear.

I think Copeland COULD be a convincing champ in time. Look at it this way, did anyone even CONSIDER putting the title on Bret or Shawn in 88? Damn right they didn't, and why?

It took both of them nearly 8 years into their WWE careers to get the main belt, Copeland would need another three to four years (due to being out a year with injury), but could be convincing if was built up enough for it.

Nero

Advertisement