Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roaming in NY

• 11-03-2004 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Anyone know do Vodafone PAYG allow roaming in USA ?
    USA is not listed on their website as a roaming spot, but my
    friend was able to use his phone out there..

Also, I know a tri-band phone is needed for USA, but I heard
    that dual-band phones will work in certain metropolitan areas.
    Anyone know is this true ?
    I wudda thought tha FCC have strict rules on this..
    If not anyone lend me a 6310 for a week ;)

Thanks for any help,
    Ray.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I saw on some vodafone leaflet yesterday that you can hire a verizon (spelling?) mobile in the states and use your own sim card it if you don't have a triband phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Hi

Recent trip to NYC and both AT&T and Cingular worked fine for roaming (only Cingular supported GPRS roaming)

As far as I know only bill pay (Pay Monthly) customers can roam in the US, if you are referring to PAYG as the ready to go offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi

Just to repeat, AT&T wireless and Cingular are the only GSM networks in New York.

I think Verizon works on CDMA networks.

By the way if your stuck you can buy a pre pay offering from Cingular in much the same way as here. But with at&t you have to sign up for a pre pay with a bank draft / credit card payment.

Eóin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Vodafone prepaid customers cannot raom in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Yip, I was in NYC recently and as a pre paid Vodafone customer I couldn't roam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dicey

Originally posted by eoinm1
    Hi

Just to repeat, AT&T wireless and Cingular are the only GSM networks in New York.

Eóin

Incorrect - VoiceStream (aka T-Mobile) also operate in NYC - my brother had a GSM phone from them when he was living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dicey

Originally posted by HarryD

Also, I know a tri-band phone is needed for USA, but I heard
    that dual-band phones will work in certain metropolitan areas.
    Anyone know is this true ?

Dual band (900/1800MHz) doesn't work in NYC - at least mine wouldn't. I hired a phone from a place, which if I remember correctly was just off Madison Ave on 47th St or thereabouts, but its over a year and a half ago so I could be wrong. It was $8 a day for the hire - just stick your own sim card in it. There was also a $200 or $300 deposit on it.

http://www.citidex.com/2511.htm has some places that will hire out phones if you're looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Originally posted by dicey
    Incorrect - VoiceStream (aka T-Mobile) also operate in NYC - my brother had a GSM phone from them when he was living there.

Yes Sorry I forgot about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

If you are going for any amount of time, or are a regular traveler get a second hand TDMA phone of craigslist or something (any old AT&T phone basically) then check out this crowd:

http://www.ecallplus.com/index.html

It will save you a fortune, plus tdma coverage is excellent compared to GSM, the biggest problwm with GSM in the states is that all the operators have all but stopped rolling out 1900 base stations favouring 850 ones, so you need a quad band phone now for the US!!! Not many of those about, i think motorola make the only one on sale in europe.

Advertisement