Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight Downloading

• 11-03-2004 12:14pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was told that if i put my computer on standby it would not effect my connection/downloads. I put it on last night because the hum of the PC would annoy me too much while i was trying to sleep (its right beside my bed) and I didnt want to be saving money on the phone and spending the same on ESB. when I got up this morning the downloads had stopped and it seems as though the connection had too (it came back on once the PC powered up).

Is there any setting I can change so that I can leave my PC on for downloading but not have to put up with the noise of it?? Or will I just have to sleep through it?!!!!

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Either move your computer or sleep on the couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Put it in the wardrobe and throw a few blankets and pillows over it.
    If you smell smoke, remove 1 pillow. If you still smell smoke, run.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

so thats a no so???:D

bollix to that anyways..... I'll see how annoying it is for me tonight

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Get a quiet fan. I have two pc's running in my bed room all of the time..... You get used to it. I also have the boiler in my room that switches on and off all night. TBH it's rather loud in my room at night.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I bet you couldn't sleep without the noise though eh, you bring a tape with you everywhere you go with noises from your bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

In a word.

WIRELESS? :)

wireless what?? bedroom?

Flogen

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Originally posted by flogen
    I was told that if i put my computer on standby it would not effect my connection/downloads.

Who's a Gullable Gary..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

built my pc so it was more or less silent (although now that ive done that i can hear the hdd's spinning as no noise comes from gfx or cpu etc..) so dont really have this problem so can sleep well at night while d/l to my hearts content :)

Who's a Gullable Gary..

...but my name is Adam......:)

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

You can get silent or near silent case fans, heat sinks, AGP coolers and power supplies if you want but they cost a few quid, if you really need to do some serious downloading u'r going to have to move the computer or build a server and put it out of the way somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Giblet
    I bet you couldn't sleep without the noise though eh, you bring a tape with you everywhere you go with noises from your bedroom.
    Oddly enuff, my lil bro couldn't get to sleep when I was on holiday - he was so used to the hum of the PC at night!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I can relate to the problem with noisy computer... And the damn LED lights... man they are like small street lights in a dark bedroom grr.. I have a computer in the office that does my downloading if i want a quiet nights sleep!!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a old laptop (P 166 with 96 mb ram) that is absolutely silent .....once I replaced the whining hard disk with a 6 gig new one.... running win98se, antivirus and zonealarm ... nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

wireless what?? bedroom?

ROFL, i like it.

Anyway, if you want to download at night, your computer (obviously) has to be on. If its off/in standby, it does nothing at all. So, if the noise is too much, move the computer away from your room, and/or get quieter fans and a noise-reducing case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

I was told that if i put my computer on standby it would not effect my connection/downloads. I put it on last night because the hum of the PC would annoy me too much while i was trying to sleep (its right beside my bed) and I didnt want to be saving money on the phone and spending the same on ESB. when I got up this morning the downloads had stopped and it seems as though the connection had too (it came back on once the PC powered up).

Is there any setting I can change so that I can leave my PC on for downloading but not have to put up with the noise of it?? Or will I just have to sleep through it?!!!!

Flogen

just keep leaving them on

you get used to it

buy a good fan.

freaking typos's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

I was told that if i put my computer on standby it would not effect my connection/downloads

You can also speed up your download speeds by jumping up and down on the floor boards for approximately 3 minutes at the start of a big download, as the vibrations stimulate the TCP headers to travel that bit faster

really? does that improve my cap also??

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

really? does that improve my cap also??

Flogen

Of course not, don't be stupid... But the jumping up and down.. That really works :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Giblet

Actually you're right, I do find it rather hard to sleep without noise. My mind starts thinking about too much stuff.

John

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I find it easier to sleep if I can think properly, infact I purposely try dreaming to get to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ah lads stop with the spam fest

Advertisement