Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuracy

Options
  • 11-03-2004 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Been playing sparcly since November online, and one thing I`ve noticed is my stats at the end game(CTF), always i hit sub par averages such as

10 - 15 - MG
    20 - 30 - Rail
    20 - 30 Rockets
    10 - 25 Shotgun

Now when I`m playing, I think I`m doing well, I mainly play Def, so i get a fair few kills easily enuff. I spam a fair bit, such as Rail on top enterance on w2, i spam in some Grenades then follow up on rail or RL (gauging from "NME HIGH" or some such). When i check other players averages at the end game, they are always far better than mine, while im owning bottomshots. Even though I`d have a far higher score sometimes(i know that means **** all in CTF), but id also have a higher kills/deaths ratio and damage.

Is it that im **** at aiming or other players take more aimed shots.

Im using mouse accel(cant live without it), and using same sens for al weaps as well as the "dot" crosshair at size 28.

Any ideas , general help

And i know im crap by the way before anyone feels the need to point that out ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jesus Baz even I get 40-50 on w2 in def with rail!

COME ON ITS SUCH AN EASY LEVEL!

Nah you are probably taking shots to spam intead of ones that will actually hit. When I was playing a while back on w2, iits easy to get rails because it's such a wide open space when you are defending, so you have plenty of time to track them (1.5 seconds is PLENTY of time)

I really suck at other levels, so you're better off asking the other Quake guys (gays)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Weapon accuracy is even more meaningless than individual score in CTF (if you feel like youre aiming well, then youre aiming well), but if you're getting low percentages like that in Clanarena then you'll need to tweak your aim a bit - don't spend all your time examing your config, since your config is not hindering you significantly (you can get very good on any config), just your technique. Unfortunately I don't know how to aim either, so I can't help you there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Well baz tell us what mouse settings you use? ie in_mouse m_filter sens and accel some of those are counter productive depending on accel and sens. I personally dont think about aiming much, i just shoot and generally have a couple of the topshots on the server, usually rl and rail. if you find yourself continuously missing with a weapon use its alternative rl/plasma, rail/shaft sg/mg etc. then when you are feeling hot and sexy again switch back to the more damaging weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its like im playing a good game, check stats only to find I`m missing like 8/10 rails even when I`d think im railing well. Some settings here:

seta m_filter "0"
    seta m_yaw "0.020"
    seta m_pitch "0.020"
    seta sensitivity "7"
    seta cl_freelook "1"
    seta cl_mouseAccel "1"
    seta cl_yawspeed "200"
    seta in_mouse "1"

Some times it feels when im mg`ing that the bullets arent hitting the guy at all, but rather outlining him. Would seperate sens per weapon help, i used to have it but changed back to one sens for all

seta m_filter "0"
    seta m_yaw "0.022"
    seta m_pitch "0.022"
    seta sensitivity "9.6"
    seta cl_mouseAccel "0.05"
    seta in_mouse "-1"

those are mine, the only thing a bit odd with yours imo is that youve a fairly medium/high sens of 7 with accel at 1 which i think is unneccessary when using a sens over 6, i find it fairly easy to turn at sens 6. youd probably be better off getting rid of the accel altogether and raising the sens by about .5 to .75. I'm not a fan of in_mouse 1 it seems to make the mouse very 'swingy' whereas -1 seems to be a bit more blocky and accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

(written from the retirement home) stats are a load of crap! i don't think there much use other than the occaisional "ha i got top rail" - purely for amusement value. you know yourself. just go for every shot you ever see and eventually you'll start hitting them. i'm pretty happy provided i get over 20%. if i get topshot rail everyone on the server is usually complaining about how much of a whore i am(it happened once honest). stats never take into account how hard the shots you are taking are.

your sens seems a bit high. i think, sam said, in_mouse 1 doubles your sens compared to -1(makes it swingy swingy). so that means you're on about 4 times the speed im at. with accel. which may or may not work against you. i wouldnt worry about it, maybe lower sens. i think you should go and play on american servers or something, the lag means it's like training at altitude. or promode ctf, you'd have savage aim if you played def a lot on that. ignore the stats.

settings:
    intellimouse drivers all default, no accel, ps2 200hz
    seta m_filter "0"
    seta m_yaw "0.022"
    seta m_pitch "0.030"
    seta sensitivity 4.4 99 fov / 3.3 for lg and rg with 90 fov, 45 fov zoom
    seta cl_freelook "1"
    seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
    seta in_mouse -1
    i cant remember my crosshair for rail but it's really good, i think vin has it.

PS I'm on holidays and if anyone wants to LAN@GAFF then ok yeah txt me.

Its not that i give a **** about stats but when im hitting 2/10 rails and other people are hitting 3 or 4 outta 10 +, i start to wonder.

Dont worry about my sens, im using linux which has a more "true" sens than windows(because your windows settings are apllied on top of q3)

inmouse -1 seeme to be helping, maybe its all a state of mind, and now im checkin mid game my stats which is bent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

In qw on linux, I definitely think the aim is better, flick shots in particular seem way more accurate. But the graphics aren't as smooth, need to fix that.

I dunno about that Gerry, i havent played orindary qw for much without using a linux client like Fuhquake or eQuake, makes it look sexy. Movement feels far better and flick shots are indeed easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

in_mouse -1 shouldn't do that much on linux really, in_mouse 1 is a direct input thing, ie windows.
    sam do something.
    and about the whole true sens thing, cos you are using accel, you cant really tell. at least if u had that off you could get out a ruler. iirc my mouse is about 1 allsop mat wide for a 180.

• Advertisement

in_mouse 1 doesnt make your sens higher, it just acts like there is extra pitch and maybe yaw on the mouse, in_mouse -1 is like russian style blocky movement. get rid of the accel and change yaw settings to compensate if necessary. 20% rail is ****e, use the sg instead. cant remember the last time i didnt hit 40% rail or more in any gametype. if you want to be hitting good rail acc, make sure your fov is under 100, perhaps use zoomfov 60ish as well.
    stats do matter because if they are ****e youve obviously missed a lot of shots or have spammed so much that you dont hear see or predict where nme comes from. I'm not a big fan of shooting 3 rockets into the one spot A. the nme knows where u are B. it might not do 100 damage C. the rail is up to yourself, you cant dodge it. the matrix music comes on when i see rls flying at me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by RapierX
    stats do matter because if they are ****e youve obviously missed a lot of shots or have spammed so much that you dont hear see or predict where nme comes from. I'm not a big fan of shooting 3 rockets into the one spot A. the nme knows where u are B. it might not do 100 damage C. the rail is up to yourself, you cant dodge it. the matrix music comes on when i see rls flying at me

You must have 1v1 in mind.. spam for a defender in CTF is a skill, it is very off-putting to the attackers and the more you spam the better. A. The enemy always knows where you are (you're defending) and B. It doesn't matter if it doesnt give 100 damage, it slows down the enemy's attack, sometimes causes them to choose a different route, and whatever damage it does is a bonus which will stand to you when he decides to enter the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

ya the amount of spam i use in ctf is unreal paddy specs me on occassion so hes probably seen it. You'd get about 500 or more damage and what killy says it slows up enemy in attack. I spam alot in 1v1 alot aswell depending on the type of game im playing works well alot of the time.

To orginal question what mouse/mousepad? Try lowering your sens ive 3.6 for rail 4.0 for rest and no accel. If your using diff sens for diff weapons dont change sens for every weapon keep one sens for rail and maybe lg and another for the rest. (sens 4 = 270 turn on func)

I think some crosshairs are better for certain weapons aswell but doesnt make that much of a difference.

I dropped mouseaccel, and using sens 4-5 now.

I`m hitting 30+ rail now, i think some of this may have to do with playing in lazy public servers. I had a 1v1 versus spacemom last night(killy speced) i was woeful in terms of shaprness but was holding a 30 rail.

Vin, I`m using a ms3 and a cornflakes box for mousemat(could well be honey nut loops)

Yeah spamming is important in CTF, as breaks up attackers run usually, like in w2, if he hears grenades high, or at low YA

Advertisement