Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPOILER ALERT What do you want to happen on SD after XX?

• 11-03-2004 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Oddly enough, myself and paddy are having a discussion similar to this on PM.
    I don't think they need to move people from RAW, they need to remove em from Velocity and give them a proper break on SD!

We've O'Haire, Rhyno, Paul London, Matt Morgan (who granted, has returned recently), and Hugh Morris all sitting on their thumbs doing jack sh|t! Total waste of Talent that could easily turn things around in seconds.

And O'Haire could be an amazing Heel! His size, his agility. If used correctly would easily fill the major gap Smackdown has.

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

Not with his current Neck condition. He's injured to hell, plus he has to watch his heart as his family history shows they all have heart conditions.

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by smiaras
    On the UT vibe, there's a thought...transfer Kane over.
    yea thats the first thing that occcured to me, but they are stretching this one out as it is, i dont think many people would want to see a protracted fued between them.

i think a couple of stables could work well, and get a couple of people tv time who wouldnt get it otherwise, look at how much randy orton has come on in the last year due to being in evolution.

i think one change they need to make is to structure talent trades between the brands. or else they could go the other way and just scrap the brands altogether, but all indications are they arent going to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I don't think that Lesnar will be going anywhere, except maybe a holiday for a few months to recharge. The timing of the announcement is too suspicious, and the publicity it is getting in the US is too convenient. Plus, have you ever heard of a wrestler becoming a football player? It just doesn't happen. I reckon it is a publicity stunt, which also serves to take some of the predictability out of WMXX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

scrap the brands? :)

But that not going to hqappen so raid TNA!

Originally posted by Skud
    scrap the brands? :)

But that not going to hqappen so raid TNA!

Oh I only wish they would, the brand split is just a joke at this rate.
    Think about it, if they ceased to exist now, we'd be seeing Rey Mysterio at the Point ;)

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

"Think about it, if they ceased to exist now, we'd be seeing Rey Mysterio at the Point"

That would be fun!
    Knackers going:
    "Hey Rey do the West Coast Cooler";) :rolleyes:

Lol do they still server that stuff in this country?
    Or better yet - "Yeah Ultimate Dragon... you know Ultimate Warrior?"

Nero

• Advertisement

Every time I think that the brands are a bad idea, I think back to just before the split. At least now, TV time gets shared about. If there was no split, we'd have HHH on twice a week hogging two shows. Having said that, if they were going to have the split, they should have maintained WCW, and made it out to be real competition, rather than just dividing the WWE into two halfs. Imagine the effect of Lesnar vs Goldberg if it had been WWE vs WCW, rather than just SD vs Raw?

So many things they could have done with the split, and the WCW purchase and they dropped the ball, and so quickly too!

Nero

Good point about tripps!
    Remember when him and steph sat at the top of the ramp every week on both Raw & SD!
    Such sh*te!
    Wrecked the shows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Digsy

As regards replacing Lesnar as the top heel , why not Eddy ? I think he's much better suited as a heel and is now established as a main eventer.

Failing that , my choices for someone getting an upgrade to top heel status is Matt or Christian , and Matt's not likely to go back to SM again so soon so Christian would be great I think ( Jericho would also be perfect as top heel, has been for years , but he's not likely so soon after a face turn.)

Rhyno deserved a lot more but is not quite ready for top level I don't think , even when he is I think he'd need a manager.
    O'Hare and Morgan are no where near main event status yet ( Even though I think they are both impressive ) , they'd be burnt out character wise in no time like Lesnar.

Kane would be an obvious choice but wouldn't that mean even more matches with 'Taker ?

The one that would cause the biggest draw for me would be RVD for a brand switch/ heel turn , I think they would be a great move for him at this point. He's never gonna lose the ECW stigma but that would go a long way to doing it and Vince could start plugging him as the WWE created Heel RVD not the ECW created Hero RVD that he's been ever since he arrived ( Even during the invasion angle when he was meant to be a heel ) That's what's been holding him back at think ( that and HHH of course )

I thought RVD was headin to Japan?:confused:

Nothing is definite with RVD as of yet, i think they're still in talks.
    Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I think RVD, Booker T or Jericho could easily be moved to Smackdown and not look out of place in the main event picture. It's also possible that they could try to re-sign Goldberg and move him over. Steiner too, seeing as they botched his main event feud on Raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Originally posted by Digsy
    As regards replacing Lesnar as the top heel , why not Eddy ? I think he's much better suited as a heel and is now established as a main eventer.

If you see the reaction Eddie has gotten recently then you'll know that they won't turn eddie for a long while. I mean the heat angle got when hew turned on him. Even when he was a heel the reaction he got for the lie,cheat,steal gimmick was unnatural (for a heal) He is one of the characters that the fans love good or bad. This is hard to acomplish (in the old ECW the hell wrestlers often got cheers for their moves but never their persona)

Originally posted by Skud
    If you see the reaction Eddie has gotten recently then you'll know that they won't turn eddie for a long while. I mean the heat angle got when hew turned on him. Even when he was a heel the reaction he got for the lie,cheat,steal gimmick was unnatural (for a heal) He is one of the characters that the fans love good or bad. This is hard to acomplish (in the old ECW the hell wrestlers often got cheers for their moves but never their persona)

Well I call that the Demolition Syndrome. They were heels but the crowd were so into them that they started cheering their entrances that they had no choice but to turn them face. There's no chance in hell of turning Guerrero heel in the near future.

Sure Angle still gets "You Suck" chants, regardless. :)
    Nero

I know he's popular due to his charisma and the fact half the crowd are hispanic anyway , but the say he's so popular that he's not gonna work as a heel again is wrong, there's only one guy who gets the pops the same wheither he's heel or face and that's Austin.

I think Eddy will be a heel again before the year is out , i think he's just a sleazier version of Tito Santana myself , great wrestler though.

As for the Demo's , they had a strong cult following like a lot of heels through out the years but when put up against LOD and the Harts , the crowd were'nt up for them .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Digsy
    As for the Demo's , they had a strong cult following like a lot of heels through out the years but when put up against LOD and the Harts , the crowd were'nt up for them .
    In fairness though, at that stage Demolition was no more. Ax was a shadow of his former self, and Crush was no substitute.

Originally posted by Johnmb
    In fairness though, at that stage Demolition was no more. Ax was a shadow of his former self, and Crush was no substitute.

In 88? You gotta be kidding me, they were only a year or so in the company!
    It was by the early 90s Ax's heart condition continued to worsen and that stage they brought in Brian Adams and things went downhill from there, they dropped the Belts to the Harts and split a year later as Crush and Repo Man respectively.

And i don't think Eddie would never work heel again, but just not anytime in the near future, thats all :)
    Nero

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme
    In 88? You gotta be kidding me, they were only a year or so in the company!
    It was by the early 90s Ax's heart condition continued to worsen and that stage they brought in Brian Adams and things went downhill from there, they dropped the Belts to the Harts and split a year later as Crush and Repo Man respectively.
    Digsy was talking about Demolition facing the LOD and Harts and being booed. Neither of those things happened in 88. Both occured in and around 90 and 91 IIRC.

My apologies, I misread the thread he'd replied to.
    I really should stop posting before 9am, thats twice now i've made mistakes while still half asleep ;)

Yeah, by 91 they were so bad. Their Wrestlemania VII match with two worthless Japanese Guys (who went nowhere afterwards as well) was so bad, horrible way for what was once known for being a great team to go out. :(

Nero

My apologies, I misread the thread he'd replied to.
    I really should stop posting before 9am, thats twice now i've made mistakes while still half asleep ;)
    No worries. If I was ever up early enough to post before 9am I'm sure I'd misread things too :D
    Yeah, by 91 they were so bad. Their Wrestlemania VII match with two worthless Japanese Guys (who went nowhere afterwards as well) was so bad, horrible way for what was once known for being a great team to go out. :(
    I think that was the problem. They were such a great team that the WWF wanted to keep it going for as long as they could, even though it would have been best to let the team die earlier. Having said that, if it had worked out by replacing Ax with Crush it would have been great, so we can't really blame the WWF for trying.

Yep, The early shift will be the bane of my life, thank christ it's Friday though! ;)

Demolition should have been canned after Survivor Series 1990, but instead they just released Ax. The Heel turn worked and the masked faces did confuse some people except for Crush, you always knew he was there!

But instead, they kept a pointless feud with LOD which was well passed it's prime and there was no chance in hell it was going to make it to the next Wrestlemania without people falling asleep. Three teams suffered thanks to prolonging Demolition without Ax

Demolition, as people got tired of the new Demo's by the time Survivor Series came.
    Legion Of Doom, as their push had to be put on the long finger due to the above.
    Power And Glory, as a result of the above, they were the only heel team left to feed to the LOD while the Nasties feuded with the Harts for the belts to set up the match at Summerslam 91.

Pretty sh|tty really, as I thought P&G deserved better, I know Roma was used to the tag matches but I thought Herc adapted to tag matches well (especially with Roma as they'd been doing the house show circuit for a while as faces before the heel turn).

And now one's dead and the other one might as well be :(
    Nero

My gut reaction is to say that the WWF dropped the ball regarding Demolition, but at the time I would have loved to see the Road Warriors vs Demolition (Ax and Smash). If Crush had worked out, it would have been great, so I don't blame them for trying. But they should have realised much earlier that it wasn't going to work. Having said that, at least they tried to give the fans what they wanted, not like the Hogan/Flair scenario a bit later!

Oh come on ! Roma went on to great things , what about Pretty Wonderful with Orndorf ?! ( Yeah right , the worst name for a team apart from maybe Well Done and TechnoTeam 2000

• Advertisement

Don't forget the Dynamic Dudes, Shane Douglas and Johnny Ace!
    The Franchise at his worst!

Nero

Originally posted by Johnmb
    My gut reaction is to say that the WWF dropped the ball regarding Demolition, but at the time I would have loved to see the Road Warriors vs Demolition (Ax and Smash). If Crush had worked out, it would have been great, so I don't blame them for trying. But they should have realised much earlier that it wasn't going to work. Having said that, at least they tried to give the fans what they wanted, not like the Hogan/Flair scenario a bit later!

That was more Hogan's fault than anyone. WWE were all ready to work the Hogan/Flair match for Wrestlemania, but Hogan was gonna be too busy shooting Mr Nanny, and Hogan wanted to be put over, which Vince agreed to. He changed the match then as there was no point in feeding Flair to Hogan as he was leaving anyway.

So they put Savage in the picture, which was a better idea. The problem was, they booked the match, THEN added the angle. It worked, but just about.

Nero

I still reckon that they should have had the Hogan/Flair match. Only the ending needed to be changed. If Hogan had the power to refuse to job in his contract at that stage, then there was any number of ways for it to end without Flair having to do the job. It could even have been written into a storyline, so that Hogan had a reason to leave, but could then come back due to "fan support". (I'm thinking a major beat-down by Flair et al, with nobody coming to help, and Hogan suffering a personal crisis because nobody from the back came to his aid, much like in the current Foley storyline).

And end a Wrestlemania like that?

Can you remember the endings of Wrestlemania 16 and 19?
    Did you cheer it or boo it?
    And why? :)

Nero

And end a Wrestlemania like that?
    I wouldn't have booked it as the main event. It would have been in place of the Hogan/Sid match. I'd have had Savage and someone else in the title match at the end (Can't think who the other major contenders where at the time). For the whole decade before, it was Flair for NWA and Hogan for WWF, no title was needed to make that a big draw. Having said that, the beat-down would have occured after the match. I'd make sure that the match itself didn't end in a DQ, but there would have had to be interference (even if both competitors were sticking around afterwards).

The problem there was, Flair has already been booked to get the title at the Rumble from almost the moment he stepped into the WWF! Flair was gonna be champion for that wrestlemania. And dropping a singles strap on a Saturday Nights Main event was almost unheard of back then. (Although the final SNME was one of the one times a belt changed happened when Michaels took it from the Bulldog).

If Hogan hadn't been such a dick, they could have easily set up a non title Hogan/Flair match for Summerslam that year. But all plans for Summerslam that year went by the wayside when they moved it to Wembley.

Nero

• Advertisement

For my money , Sid should have been in the title match and Savage or 'Taker should have been his opponant ( You can decide yourself who the defending champ would be ) , Hogan and Flair were definite big enough to have a grudge match with no belt involved , just the title of who the biggest star of the 80's had been.

Just another example of Vince not using the best talent at the time ( Still doing it )

Well yeah, Hogan was a dick at times, but I think McMahon should have put the foot down. Come to think of it, I'm amazed that Hogan agreed to do the job cleanly for Warrior in WM6, but given that he did, I'm sure a stern McMahon could have forced him to job to Flair via interference, if the will was there. How I wish it was, as I never got to see the WCW PPV's when Hogan and Flair finally did have their matches.

You can get that Hogan and Flair match on Hulk Still Rules, it's one of the many DVD extras on it.

I hate Hogan to this day, but the DVD set is very cool :)
    Nero

I hate Hogan to this day, but the DVD set is very cool :)
    I was never a true Hogan fan (I alway prefered Bret Hart, even in his heel tag team days), but I never particularly hated him. While many things could have been done better had he not been such a dick, I have to wonder if Wrestling would be as big now as it is if he hadn't played the character so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Yeah 'tis a pity that Mr. America with Zach Gowen is our final memory of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

I doubt it will be.RVD I think would be a credible heel on smackdown and he should renew his fued with Eddie.

Advertisement