Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you use for Downloading?

• 11-03-2004 1:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I use WinMX, cos its spyware free, but it aint the best when it comes to finishing downloads, I have two that are near the end and suddenly go red and wont finish.... its a bit hit and miss, but at least it aint f*cking up my PC like Kazaa or something along those lines.

so what do you use for downloading files (such as old Blues songs that are out of copyright and other documents that are available to the general public for free:)) and how do you find it?

Flogen

Comments

DC++. I get great speeds and it has everything I want. Kazaa is arse nowadays, tis full of manky files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

DC++ and Bit Torrent the 3.4 client is out now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

soulseek- great for finding rare stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

dc++
    is pretty good but has a few drawbacks- in order to get to the good hubs you need something like 50gb(varies) of stuff to share and also it depends on the type of person your downloading from. if that person gets fed up and says "im going off to bed" ur left there with a download that is not half downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    DC++ and Bit Torrent the 3.4 client is out now :)
    Except 3.4 turns out to be buggy and is being retuned and ppl are being told to use 3.3 until the probs are fixed. The problem with BT is you afto be patient it's very rare that you get anywhere near your full speed my share rating is usually around 1.0 - 0.8 which means I get stuff at 15KB/s not exactly perfect when your downloading 2GB:(. On the other hand you dont get crap, which is why I'll always stick to BT for major stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

kazaa lite is ten times better than the kazaa every1 is moaning about- bittorent is also top stuff especially some of the hacked clients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaaBoy

i agree , kazza lite is A1 . no spyware or advertising . as good as any p2p .
    can you explain more about bit torrent ? where how etc please ? is it a p2p rpogram or just a format of downloading that can be used ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

kazaa lite is ten times better than the kazaa every1 is moaning about- bittorent is also top stuff especially some of the hacked clients

Kazaa lite and kazaa run off the same servs so you get the same files anyway,just different programs for accessing them.I find bittorrent a brilliant tool except for the lack of good hosting sites,anyone got any good BT sites?

vader ,
    how do i go about downloading it and could you send me a couple of links of sites to if thats not too much hassle in the castle .
    cheerz bouy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by BlaaBoy
    i agree , kazza lite is A1 . no spyware or advertising . as good as any p2p .
    can you explain more about bit torrent ? where how etc please ? is it a p2p rpogram or just a format of downloading that can be used ?

i moved from kazaa lite cos of the **** quality of the files the mp3 would start good but like 40 seconds into it's unlistenable so i went to soulseek much better and finds **** cool rare stuff aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

You can get bittorrent [removed
    ,thats the original version of BT but i prefer to use removed as it shows when your connected and you can check the ips of who's downloading from you. The one thing to remember whith torrents is that to get a good download rate you must upload as much as possible,it doesnt really affect your bandwidth but you get better speeds.
    The only site i know is removed and that has all the newest stuff out,updated daily n all.If anyone has anymore BT links,please post :D

[Edit] Do not ask for illegal download sites -Biz

removed as for how it works it uses torrent files which are trackers of ppl IP addresses and you get these small torrent files and load them up with a BT client and the client then connects to all the ppl on the particular swarm network for this specific file which the torrent was made for. Some good sites with torrents are suprnova.org (dont know why it's spelt lie that) and there are other ones just do a quick search on google.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Guys you have to discover xdcc !!

Hyzepher

The evil Vader has bet me to it removed is good aswell as removed and removed...just look around I can't think of anymore - by the way your downloads with BT could be very slow sometimes I have torrents that can go on for 2-3 days.

thanks very much vader , couldnt have been put any simpler . i'll give that a go when i get home from work . supernova looks pretty cool . all those episodes of south park and family guy . rock on !!

if your pc crashes or reboots during downloading can you go back and continue from where it was at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

I use Limewire removed
    its fairly straightforward to use and it integrates with
    iTunes on my pc. When a download is finished doubleclick and it opens iTunes and plays the song. it also supports downloads from multiple users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

What about Overnet - it is also pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

emule

fast, sweet, good files, no problems :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

For the last time

DO NOT link to download apps be they Kazza Bit torrent Lime wire or any thing else used primarily to download files illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i dont think they are getting the message biz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

I download from removed as it offers the largest amount of removed. However if it's removed you're after then you'd best use removed.

I remember once I downloaded removed and it infected my PC with a batch of large removed. The infection actually spread to my removed and it died but not before I'd removed the harddrive and reformatted my PC.

Obviously all this is assuming you've removed the latest version of removed without the removed removed removed removed on the last day of Christmas.

Hope this helps.

removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

hahaha :rolleyes:

Spam the board again and you get a one week ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    emule

fast, sweet, good files, no problems :)
    emule fast?? i don't know where you got that idea from! i use it coz of its rare files, and that's it. otherwise i'm using overnet - it connects to the ed2k network, so you get a lot of rare files (lags behind with releases), but not kademlia. and you can actually reach top speed with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by bizmark
    hahaha :rolleyes:

Spam the board again and you get a one week ban
    It's called trolling, not spamming...

I'm using Kazaa Lite Resurrection at the moment.
    You can get it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm for some reason DMT your link doesn't seem to be working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

hmm I use kazaa mostly for downloading. The lite version obviously.

eMule... hmm Im using it presently slowwww long queues... like very long... wait wait and more wait but eventually you get there.. however if you are online all day with DSL it's grand... Leave it running...

Shareza. Use it but works the same as eMule from what I see.. same.

Bit Torrent. Same stuff again... patience required

But Kazaa is crap enough these days... lots of people not sharing grr ;P

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

what ive used ( imon dsl )

Kazaa - it spies on me while i masturbate , I no like this
    K.Lite - tis alright , I got some good speeds but has loads of gammy files
    Limewire - Really good for music, I get good speeds and theres a good selection , rarely get Q'd
    Bittorrent - really really like the selection but I can never get more than about 2 k speed for some reason =/
    Emule - Baaaaad Q's but good selection , alright speeds and no dud files !
    Soulseek - hmm coudlnt seem to download much off this , really bad speeds and everything is remotely Q'd , it has an amazing selection of music though
    Bearshare - good selection , downloads often Q'd , pretty ****ty speeds

obviously people are gonna disagree , I know loads of people who love soulseek,just never seemed to work well for me.

I wish I could get good speeds on Bittorrent though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

tusky i had problems with bittorent and slow speeds due to my modems in built firewall i think

solution here for eircom not sure if its relevant but worth looking into

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145116&highlight=firewall

with regards to download clients i find imesh good for general stuff but i use the old version which doesn't come with all the associated crap it just pops up smilies every now and again

have used soulseek for some rare stuff which was good but had problems with it recently trying to connect to someone for some individual transfers

data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

DC++ is the business for downloading movies/tv series/game isos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement