Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Afx is comin!!

• 11-03-2004 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Word on the street is Aphex is doin OXEGEN, maybe a dj set. Let ou know more when confirmed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

and of course the standard response from those who have seen him before is .. "oh. cool. yay." ... he's been absolutely terrible live for the past few years .. just taking the piss with ridiculously fast beats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i seen him in OSlo and Sydney and he was brilliant(admittidely with a few "dodgy" sounds as you said), but none the less he was v good, talented man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god. i'm freaking out here! aphex would **** the place up big style! this is gonna be on par with underworld, well maybe not but close! where did this rumour come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

I hope he brings plenty of sandpaper and a blender! :D

Is there any truth that the Chemical bros will also be making an appearance?

chem bros are confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Saw Aphex at Sónar last year and loved it, he didn't take the piss at all.

See Massive Attack and Wu Tang Clan just added as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

aphex - as in aphex twin? they kick ass COME TO DADDY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

rdj how i love you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Cool! He could play anythin and id still cream in my longjohns!
    It might actually be worth a ticket this year so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Aphex Twin sets can be split in two halves.

First we have the in-yer-face acid a la Ceephax Acid Crew.

Then about halfway through flip over to mad fast drill'n'bass a la Venetian Snares and Hellfish.

I've seen him four times now, last time was extremely boring mainly because it was so predictable. And these days he doesn't even use decks, mostly his Sony Vaio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

theres an mp3 of a support gig he played for bjork in san frncisco knocking about, 45 minutes of these filtered distorted bass noises... whole crowd booing him, really really funny....

still reckon he's past it though, i mean lets face it, at the ende of the day its just self consciously weird stuff for spotty kids to show the world how clever they are...

drukqs was taking the piss, you'd be better off buying a few flagons of bulmers, at least it would contain an original idea.... go buy selected ambient works one and two and pretend he disappeared off the face of the planet in the late nineties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Yeah that Bjork support set he did was classic Richard D James behaviour. The complaints posted to the Bjork forums afterwards were kind of funny. Though he was billed as DJ Smojphace and he did put out a couple of noise tracks on the EP....

Eh, anyway if there's one Aphex Twin album worth owning it'd probably be Drukqs, I think. It summarises all the stages of his career nicely and has some really deadly tunes on it. The piano pieces on it aswell are worth a mention, especially considering the way he composed them. I hated Drukqs when I first heard it, mainly because it was nothing new, but I listened to it months later and once you get over the fact that it's not really new, you kind of realise it has some of his best work on it.

I don't really like SAW 85-92 (awful production) and SAW II (bit too longwinded)

i love drukqs now, hated it first aswell though. it takes a while to get into. saw 85-92 is superb! if anything sucks it's saw2. i care cause you do and richard d james album are amazing aswell. the earlier stuff is simple but does the trick ie surfing on sine waves, analogue bubble bath 3. beetles is also a masterpiece of a song:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

If you wanna hear a mixed version of 'drukqs', Dublin fella ThinkToy has it at:
    http://www.thinktoy.com/thinkmix.htm

He sent it to Warp and they asked him to a mix for their site.
    You'll also catch him doing a radio show online on www.PowerFM.org on Mondays (noon - 3pm).

Advertisement