Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URL Redirection

Options
  • 11-03-2004 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi, I have a website www.mydomain.com and when someone access it I actually want it to go to another website but keep my domain name in the address bar.

I dont want to use a frame as th page I go to use a frame too. What other way can it be done or can it be done by DNS.

I still want mail to go through my site so I dont think I can point the domain as mail would then be pointed to ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I have some domains registered with GoDaddy and they provide a free redirect service. For eg if you type in

www.proudireland.com

you will automatically be brought to

www.proudirish.com

I didn't realise until just now but www.proudireland.com remains as the name displayed in the browser.

To set this up I just go to the domain redirect area in the my account section, of GoDaddy. I would presume most domain registers provide this service.

Not sure how this would affect your mail.

Fergal
    Proudirish.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

henri, proudireland usese frames

blazesoftware, you can ...
    a) Point the www A record of the domain to the other server (which must be configured to serve your domain).
    b) You can use Apache's mod_proxy on one webserver to go get the page off the other server.
    ... but frames are probably the way to go, especially if you don't have full control of either server, or domain.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Originally posted by cgarvey
    henri, proudireland usese frames

.cg

Thanks cg,

I just looked at the source, you learn something new everyday. Godaddy created that framed page, I previously thought they did a redirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Hi Cg,

Thanks. I should have said it a .ie address

The current setup is

www CNAME mydomain.ie.

Would I just change mydoain to the new domain or do I need to add a new A record so something like

www A mynewdomain.ie

The only other current A record is
    mydomain.ie A Current IP

Thanks

So the process is two fold.. telling the world where to go for the www site (done by DNS) and then telling that machine that it needs to serve the www site as well.

So, yes, delete the
    www CNAME mydomain.ie.

in favour of
    www IN A mynewdomainhost.ie.

or
    www A mynewdomainhost.ie.

depending on your DNS interface.

You will then need to tell the web server hosting mydomain.ie to also host mynewdomain.ie.

E.g. Apache config
    <VirtualHost blah>
      ServerName mydomain.ie
      ServerAlias mynewdomain.ie
    </VirtualHost>

If you don't have config control over the web server for mydomain.ie:
    a) Try asking the host to add the one line to the web server conf
    b) If the host for mydomain.ie gives a dedicated IP address, then you could write a cgi script at the root level of your host space, to redirect to the appropriate subdirectory (e.g. /mydomain or /mynewdomain depending on the incoming request headers (which will include the host name).
    c) Use frames, all be they nested which may get messy, but is more than possible

.cg

• Advertisement

Hi Thanks cg. I have access to the WHM as this is the bit of software used. Within it there is an area to edit the DNS zone. Is there any way to speed up the DNS info being propigated so I can test it out faster ?

Thanks again

Not really .. you can reduce the TTL of the zone, but that in itself will take time to propogate (and could very well be ignore by the likes of eircom anyway!).

You could add the domain/IP to your hosts file to check the changes straight away.

(e.g. on WinXP: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts .. add
    aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd  mynewdomain.ie

.cg

Hi,

Have it working. Thanks again for the help

Regards

Advertisement