Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2004 albums...

• 11-03-2004 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

A few recomendations for new albums I've picked up over the past 2 months or so..

The Walkmen - Bows And Arrows -

Err wow. This is and will undoubtedly be my album of the year... its got well over a month and a half of solid listening at this stage.. fans of Interpol stand up and praise the lord that this has filled the vacuum created until they release their new album (autumn 2004). And its amazingly good. Typical NY indie/post-punk style.. guitars high up and drums low in the mix.... pace changes from the slow-paced intro (as with their debut album) crashing right into the rapid guitar frenzy of "The Rat" (easily the standout track).. to the languid reflections of "Hang On Siobhan" and then ups the pace again with my favourite track, "Thinking Of A Dream"... as with Interpol lyrics aren't the strong point but the overall delivery and convening of emotion. Anyway can't say enough good things about it .. go buy :)

The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart

You like the indie-rock/pop happenings of Snow Patrol? Give their songs a bit more of a NY sound (these guys are actually canadian though) and voila.. one not entirely original band or album but it has to be said some incredibly good tunes (try not to nod your head to Still In Love Song.. it can't be done). Well worth a look anyway.. has got a lot of listening time with me lately.

TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth and Bloodthirsty Babes

Yes more NY based post-punk.. this time with a heavy dollop of electronics and lacking that seriousness that defines the NY scene.. if you managed to pick up their stunning Young Liars EP then you might know what to expect, but Staring At The Sun is the only track off the EP to make an appearance... but the album is much more languid and than the EP... those who liked the Beta Bands more down-tempo b-sides on their 3 EPs collection would definitely be at home here.

err enjoy :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I really like Bows and Arrows, it's a good album alright. I've heard alot about TV on the Radio recently, so I'm going to check them out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Where can I get bows and arrows in dublin or will I have to order over the interweb
    Road ,tower and soundcellar dont have it and HMV only have it on import for €30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

there havent been any great albums so far this year but i'm looking forward to U2, the Datsuns and Oasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    I really like Bows and Arrows, it's a good album alright. I've heard alot about TV on the Radio recently, so I'm going to check them out soon.
    just got it based on this thread, slightly dissappointed, I`m taking wild_eyed`s advise and listening to some Interpol

me likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Logic Will Break Your Heart gets the thumbs up from me too. Standout tracks are probably the two 'singles', "Lola Stars and Stripes" and "Still In Love Song".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

although it ain't out yet the new Biffy Clyro album will be class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by isthisit
    there havent been any great albums so far this year but i'm looking forward to U2, the Datsuns and Oasis.

Yes there have, we're discussing them in this thread.

DerekD Goldfish, if you still have trouble finding Bows and Arrows you can get it for $17 shipped (€14 approx.) from here. US site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SeeYouJimmy

Fragile State's new album, "Voices form the dust bowl" is a belter too... Give it a listen, the guy behind them used to be the keyboard player in zero7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I really like Lola Stars and Stripes by the Stills. The album is quite good. Not made my mind up about the other two albums yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Check Out
    Sophia - People are like Seasons

Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Fit all dem cd's up your ass and go get "Ultravisitor" by "Squarepusher"
    Sh1ts on their faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Cheez
    Fit all dem cd's up your ass and go get "Ultravisitor" by "Squarepusher"
    Sh1ts on their faces

yes ok. Ultravisitor is good, but not by any means brilliant.
    Check Out
    Sophia - People are like Seasons

Highly recommended.

Aye tis pretty good alright... one standout track (if a change is gonna come?).. bit of a languid pace i thought though on the other tracks.. although its overall a pretty laidback album i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

cLOUDEAD - Ten

What a fantastic album. I still don't know what tracks I like or dislike. Overall this album has made me happy and I'm telling all my friends to get it.

Poetry over hiphop beats they call it I believe.

Originally posted by yellum
    cLOUDEAD - Ten

What a fantastic album. I still don't know what tracks I like or dislike. Overall this album has made me happy and I'm telling all my friends to get it.

Poetry over hiphop beats they call it I believe.

Meh have their first release and a fair collection of Anticon stuff... it all gets very samey and the replay appeal ain't great... but if you like this then definitely get the first.. you will enjoy it, caught them live a while ago as well.. now that was truely excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Tv on the Radio's cover or Mr. grieves was amazing I'll have to check out the album, thanks for posting the recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Lyrics Born - Later That Day

Really good album, if you like Quannum stuff you wont be disappointed by this.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Lyrics Born - Later That Day

Really good album, if you like Quannum stuff you wont be disappointed by this.

dude thats totally last year :) you got the gift of gabs solo album 4th dimensional rocketships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Delays-Faded seaside glamour
    Bob Dylan-bootleg series vol. 6 '64 at Philharmonic Hall
    Lost in Translation OST

Not much else good new released,Squarepusher 'Ultravisitor' I've heard is decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Kali
    you got the gift of gabs solo album 4th dimensional rocketships?

No, I had it ordered from Play but they never got it in. Never saw it any shops either.
    Got the Lifesavas album though. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 XtremeLpool2k4

hey i know where u can find cheaper albums than in the shops

do any of u go on www.play.com

u can find most albums there, sumtimes they r out of stock and u have to wait longer but u get some good deals, things r usually about £5 cheaper but sometimes they have realy bargins like up £20 cheaper

they also do games for ps2 n stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Well i think its brilliant andmy opinion is better than yours! ;)
    i listened to some a dat cloudead on a listenin post thingy in tower.
    sounded pretty good alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

The Bronx - The Bronx

Thats all that needs to be said concerning albums in 2004.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

look at my signature

Advertisement