Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewalling Win 2003 server

Options
  • 11-03-2004 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good firewall for Win2k3 server (freeware or commercial)? I just dont like the built in one (same as XP's one)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hardware or Software

Hardware
    IPCop
    Smoothwall

Software
    Kerio

Depends what you`re firewalling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Just the machine itself, its not a network gateway or anything, just a fileserver, so Kerio is a ickle bit of overkill .... and if there is a freeware firewall for win 2003 thats probably the most likely candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Kerio is free

Are you sure you even want a firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

you don't need one....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I dont know about anyone else but every machine I have has a firewall, even though my router does it as well ... mainly to stop stuff going out, but I also have a few ports opened in the router and you just never know what the sneaky bastids may find with my firewall

And the free kerio will not work with servers ... workstations only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

for home lans firewalls on boxes behind a firewall is a waste of resources that's just my personal opinion, if you're not confident with your're firewall on the external interface change it/config it better

each to their own i suppose....

Advertisement