Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrets...

Options
  • 11-03-2004 10:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any clue where I could buy a ferret in ireland?
    My cousins had some before but the person who they got them from has stoped breading them.

Anyway I've wante one for ages and would stoked if you could help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Buy and sell really. They're in there a lot. Make sure you find a good breeder though, a lot of them are quite dodgy.

Oh and you probably know this already but ferrets are smelly little buggers. Keep them outside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Ferrets make great pest *if* you have a lot of time to devote to them. They will not be happy locked in a hutch or cage all day while you work or go to school.

They do have a distinctive smell (musk), but if it becomes a problem, they can be descented by a vet (no worse than neutering, and can be done at the same time).

Best way to buy them is to locate a breeder through the buy and sell, however make sure to ask if they have ever been used as hunting ferrets, as you dont want one that has.

I recommend starting with females, males tend to be a bit too boisterous for beginners. :)

Hope that helps.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

*lol* dawntreader said pest!!

My ferret is pregnant at the moment. She's due in 3/4 weeks. She's strictly a pet & has never hunted, if you're interested in a baby let me know.

Definitely keep them outside - the smell gets overpowering after a few days! I didnt realise how bad it was til she moved outside.

lolol ;0)
    dint mean to, altho from my experience of them, it can be correct lol ;)

as for keeping them outside, given the right accomodation its fine, *but* in this country you do need to make sure where you are keeping them is warm, or else they can suffer specially in the toes and ears.

As for the smell, as I said, you can have them de-scented, but the smell isnt really as bad as people make out, some people even like the smell.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Whats so bad about having one that has been used as a hunting ferret?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

They're generally not as tame & they've been blooded so you can never really trust them not to suddenly bite you.

Or so I was told by the breeder. Mox is my first ferret, so he made sure I got a nice placid one.

If you have ever tried to handle a blooded ferret with a cut on your hand, you would know lol ;)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ferrets have really thick skin. When they're pups, it's normal for them to bite eachother, like any animal would do. They don't realise how thin our skin really is, so their bite can be quite nasty.
    If they're being bred for hunting, that sort of biting won't really be discouraged, they won't be as tame. You'd really want to make sure you get it from someone who was raising the pups as pets, like hadook's lil baby ones :)
    Good luck, and have fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Originally posted by hadook
    *lol* dawntreader said pest!!

My ferret is pregnant at the moment. She's due in 3/4 weeks. She's strictly a pet & has never hunted, if you're interested in a baby let me know.

Definitely keep them outside - the smell gets overpowering after a few days! I didnt realise how bad it was til she moved outside.

I sent you a pm, reply whenever you get a chance.

Advertisement