Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into college (backdoor)...

Options
  • 11-03-2004 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

I have a fetac certificate in Information technology, and I was wondering if I could use this to get into college, and if so what's the procedure?

I haved looked around for IT jobs, but they seem to always look for 2/3 yrs work experience (how am I gonna get those years, If I can't start out anywhere).

The people who did get into the IT industry have all done degrees. They were telling me that jobs see a degree equeling 3 yrs work experience (which in my opinion is bullsh*t, alot of it isn't real world, just theory).

But having said that, I do have an interest in going to college. I would love to try out flash development/game development, but would an IT cert allow me to go into this sector, or is the cert too general?

If the fetac cert doesn't cut it, can I do a cert via studying it at home and sit an exam at a college or go to a testing centre?

I have both an interest in film and IT (which is awkward), I'm eyeballing a place for a two yr film course, but it's another institute, and Iv'e already spent a yr in FAS, which has good training facilities and good teachers, but it isn't exactly a fun place.

I always wanted to go to a college like UCD or trinity, but what's the best for IT (DIT, DCU?), If I do the film cert and go into an IT course as a mature student, would I be too old compared to everyone else, or is there plenty of people at the grand old age of 23?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

College work board may have been a better place for this.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Dude, the IT industry is a dying industry. Unless you're planning on moving to China or India I'd steer well clear of IT.

Seriously, I have 5 years tech support experience, 2 years QA and 2 years Development (C/C++/Perl/PHP/GTK). There are NO jobs out there. And any that do come up get hundreds of CVs.

Really, think long and hard before IT...

Just my 2 cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I put it in as college play, but it didn't get any replies.

Dude, the IT industry is a dying industry. Unless you're planning on moving to China or India I'd steer well clear of IT.

I know, iv'e been looking all over the place and have found nothing. Do you know any multimedia courses, where they do both web design/flash and film and tv, so I can have both interests put in to one course??

Anyway, is 23 too old for college, or is there plenty of mature students in college (does it even matter or am I just being paranoid)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by Johnny Versace

Seriously, I have 5 years tech support experience, 2 years QA and 2 years Development (C/C++/Perl/PHP/GTK). There are NO jobs out there. And any that do come up get hundreds of CVs.

Really, think long and hard before IT...

Just my 2 cents...

Do u have a degree? just curious

3 year Diploma in Computer Science... didn't stay on for degree as the industry was hot when I graduated.

Having a degree means nothing. One of the best IT guys in Ireland/The world is Irish (Justin Mason, I used to work with him) and he has no 3rd level education.

You'll find the best IT guys are the ones who are dedicated, not formerly educated! (I should be a rapper...)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by neXus9
    I know, iv'e been looking all over the place and have found nothing. Do you know any multimedia courses, where they do both web design/flash and film and tv, so I can have both interests put in to one course??

Anyway, is 23 too old for college, or is there plenty of mature students in college (does it even matter or am I just being paranoid)?

23 is not too old. Do it now before you get too old! Seriously, better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't, right?

Ballyfermot Senior College is very good for film/media. Not a UNI, but they've a good rep for that stuff.

There is a multimedia course in DCU as well (not communications), also check out Dun Laoire College of Art and Design...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

3 year Diploma in Computer Science... didn't stay on for degree as the industry was hot when I graduated.

Having a degree means nothing. One of the best IT guys in Ireland/The world is Irish (Justin Mason, I used to work with him) and he has no 3rd level education.

You'll find the best IT guys are the ones who are dedicated, not formerly educated! (I should be a rapper...)

He's right about degrees. My brother had a top job in Borland working on their projects without a degree. So did his boss.

Experience matters most, or so i've heard from the IT sector.

neXus9,

You could use your fetac to get into a insititute of Technology college. You'd probably have to start in first year if your cert doesn't meet their teaching course but you'd be in.

I recommend looking at jobs that look for 1 years experience. They most likely take on students with no experience. Doesn't hurt to chance ya arm!!

What about the fetac cert in IT? Can you get into multimedia courses with this since there's alot of web/flash material?

How do you go about getting into courses without having to repeat your leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

The people who did get into the IT industry have all done degrees. They were telling me that jobs see a degree equeling 3 yrs work experience (which in my opinion is bullsh*t, alot of it isn't real world, just theory).

I have both an interest in film and IT (which is awkward), I'm eyeballing a place for a two yr film course, but it's another institute, and Iv'e already spent a yr in FAS, which has good training facilities and good teachers, but it isn't exactly a fun place.

I always wanted to go to a college like UCD or trinity, but what's the best for IT (DIT, DCU?), If I do the film cert and go into an IT course as a mature student, would I be too old compared to everyone else, or is there plenty of people at the grand old age of 23?

Thanks

Ok, some info for you:

One of my mates got a degree in Software Engineering from Tallaght IT 2 years ago. He still, however, has to get 3 years work experience before he can go after what he's really looking to do (video game design). He was lucky enough to get a great job in Buy4now so he'll be there until his 3 year stint is done. So you're correct in saying that the degree = 3 year exp is bullshiit. You need both.
    As for computer courses in trinity or UCD or DCU etc. From my experience and from what I've been told, they're pretty much the same all over. Most of the REAL computer buffs that I know do most of their learning in their own time sitting in front of their PC learning stuff themselves. These guys and girls are the real unsung heroes of the IT industry. So forget about WHERE you wanna do the course - just focus on what you want to achieve.
    At the end of the day, I think you should just follow you're dreams and don't rush into things. Talk to a friend about it and ask them what they could see you doing. You'd be surprised at the answers. As for being two old, don't even worry about that. Trust me, the most you'll have to worry about is paying for the course and having enough money to see it through.

XX is currently in his 2nd year of a 4 year degree in Psychology in trinity College Dublin. He started the course last year when 24 years of age, as a mature student. He has previously studied computers and business studies in Carlow IT and is a graduate of the school of life. He also works his arse off to afford to stay in college which he finds to be the hardest part of returning to college.

Well, i know you can get into a IT course which deals with multimedia. Not too sure about an actually dedicated multimedia course since some are more filmand photography centred then graphics or animation.

• Advertisement

What about the fetac cert in IT? Can you get into multimedia courses with this since there's alot of web/flash material?

How do you go about getting into courses without having to repeat your leaving?

Mature student is the way to go. You'll have to wait until next year though (you apply around September or something.)

I don't know much about fetac so I can't really comment on that (sorry), but the best thing would really be to start contacting the college departments now. Ask them questions and sound enthuastic. You'll want them to remember you when you application comes around :D

http://www.irishjobs.ie/Search_Roles.asp?RecType=3&Company=ON&Agency=ON&Location=1&IsProvince=1&MatchPerc=40&Ranking=&JobType=0&No_Days_Created=0&Category=3

If you click any of those links - youll see theres literally hundreds of IT jobs in Ireland but the thing is about 90% of them on that site require a degree so thats why I asked

And about your 'best IT guy in Ireland/World has no degree' argument, its a bit silly because I could say 'Michael O'Leary has no Leaving Cert and hes one of the most successful businessmen in Irish history so that means if you want to be a successful businessman dont do your Leaving Cert' - its not a very valid argument

I mean I agree with you that experience is essential too in this industry but you cant really say 'having an IT degree means nothing'

cool! I'm always thinking that there's going to be a huge difference in maturity between the 17 yr olds and 23's, but I know people twice my age that have the maturity of 12 yr olds, so I guess it doesn't matter.

TBH, I didn't want to say this because it may sound a bit stupid, but I always dreamt of going to a major college for the social aspect of it (societies, events, parties). Where I live is sooo boring and I just want to have that experience (although I do truely have a great interest in computers).

I currently at the moment studying at home to get my MCSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i look at some of the replys on how some people are qualified and it makes me laugh. Although they are a prerequsite of a job, a job needs more. A personality and presentation of ones self really does help your chances of getting a job in it.

If your serious about a job, you dress serious, smell serious (not in a bad way), talk serious and show that you are confident.

As far as you going into college as a mature student goes - i go to griffith and i love it to pieces. Granted i started at 19, but some of my best friends in teh college are in the 23-25 mark.

Age is nothing but a number :)

Do that you want. It doesnt matter how you get there - just be focused on a goal.

Nope. Apply for some of those jobs. You'll find this is the case -

There will be 15 recruitment companies advertising for the one job. SERIOUSLY!!

I am talking from experience here. The IT industry has NO jobs in Ireland at the moment.

Having an IT degree, really... it's not going to help your job chances UNLESS you plan on doing a masters/PhD and going for a cool job in google/somewhere where they require a formal education. But in PRACTICAL terms, your degree will teach you nothing you will ever use...

Originally posted by Repli
    http://www.irishjobs.ie/Search_Roles.asp?RecType=3&Company=ON&Agency=ON&Location=1&IsProvince=1&MatchPerc=40&Ranking=&JobType=0&No_Days_Created=0&Category=3

If you click any of those links - youll see theres literally hundreds of IT jobs in Ireland but the thing is about 90% of them on that site require a degree so thats why I asked

And about your 'best IT guy in Ireland/World has no degree' argument, its a bit silly because I could say 'Michael O'Leary has no Leaving Cert and hes one of the most successful businessmen in Irish history so that means if you want to be a successful businessman dont do your Leaving Cert' - its not a very valid argument

I mean I agree with you that experience is essential too in this industry but you cant really say 'having an IT degree means nothing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

TBH, I didn't want to say this because it may sound a bit stupid, but I always dreamt of going to a major college for the social aspect of it (societies, events, parties). Where I live is sooo boring and I just want to have that experience (although I do truely have a greaty interest in computers).

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. I thought that the social scene in Trinity would be out of this world, but truth told its not. I'm from the sticks and find it so hard to relate to the average urban snob. They just annoy me. So what I found was better is to make a few dedecated friends there and have the craic with them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If the prerequsite for a job is a Degree, then you need a degree. Its not to show how much you know about IT, but more to do with the fact that you can study hard for four years. Which show magnitude of vital skills. How are Companies supposed to know your a ninja at tech stuff? eh

Ok there's no IT jobs in Ireland when I just gave you a link to hundreds
    But in PRACTICAL terms, your degree will teach you nothing you will ever use...
    Again I don't believe this for a second, every subject I do in college has a practical lab too. Atm we're doing stuff like C++, SQL, XML, Linux, Unix shell programming, etc and you're telling me I'll never use any of this stuff I'm learning in the industry. Well what do you do in IT jobs then - milk cows? I'll admit some of the stuff we learn like graph theory I will probably never use but I really have a hard time believing I'm never gonna use any of this stuff

Ok there's no IT jobs in Ireland when I just gave you a link to hundreds

Again I don't believe this for a second, every subject I do in college has a practical lab too. Atm we're doing stuff like C++, SQL, XML, Linux, Unix shell programming, etc and you're telling me I'll never use any of this stuff I'm learning in the industry. Well what do you do in IT jobs then - milk cows? I'll admit some of the stuff we learn like graph theory I will probably never use but I really have a hard time believing I'm never gonna use any of this stuff

You didn't read my reply. It is the one job with every recruitment company advertising for it. Apply for the jobs and you'll see what I mean.

I am not bull****ting here - I have been dealing with the (dead) IT jobs market now for years...

As regards the stuff you are learning in college - your job as a programmer will be development based on OS function calls. They don't teach you this in college. Again, I AM TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE!!

You gotta have faith in me on this one...

What job have you at the moment, Johnny (If you don't mind me asking)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What a foolish thing to do
    Originally posted by bazH
    If the prerequsite for a job is a Degree, then you need a degree.

What job have you at the moment, Johnny (If you don't mind me asking)?

I do contract work for hosting companies (security stuff...)

OH, I'm also doing a maths degree at night (just finished...) in case anyones wondering. This is purely for my brain.

If there is a company standard cert for network security, would it be the one from cisco (CIE security), or would security+ be enough (doubt it)?

You didn't read my reply. It is the one job with every recruitment company advertising for it. Apply for the jobs and you'll see what I mean.

I am not bull****ting here - I have been dealing with the (dead) IT jobs market now for years...

As regards the stuff you are learning in college - your job as a programmer will be development based on OS function calls. They don't teach you this in college. Again, I AM TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE!!

You gotta have faith in me on this one...

I'd rather not - you're just jumping from extreme to extreme. How do you know what I learn and don't learn in my course? 2 people in my class have been offered a 1 year work placement in oracle from september on and have NO experience in IT and just 2 years of their degree completed.

Before I go any further - I really don't want to get in an argument with people here about college etc.

Having a degree is defo worthwhile, and if I could go back in time, I'd stay in college forever, but I think in the IT industry it really doesn't mean anything (except for the fact that you can commit to something.)

As regards security, I learnt just by messing around for years. A very small company I worked for (they are now these guys - http://www.lincor.com), forced me to learn a bit about everything cause we didn't have the staff. A lot of the development work I was doing was encryption stuff (blowfish in particular) so I got interested in security that way.

You should set up a small network at home, a Linux server with Linux and Windows connected to it, and start running hacking scripts against the server. It's fun and you learn a lot... then you try to secure the server and try to break into it again... that's pretty much how I got to where I am now with my current work.

I'd rather not - you're just jumping from extreme to extreme. How do you know what I learn and don't learn in my course? 2 people in my class have been offered a 1 year work placement in oracle from september on and have NO experience in IT and just 2 years of their degree completed.

Dude, I used to work for Oracle. Unless they work in the Tools group (where I did), they'll be doing retard work. The Tools group are still the only Oracle development team in Ireland. They have "software engineers", but in Oracle that means zipping up files etc.

I know they don't teach OS development (practical stuff, not theory) in college. Am I wrong?

Again, let's cool this. I really don't wanna fight. I left college quite a few years ago so I know what I'm talking about!! :D

If there is a company standard cert for network security, would it be the one from cisco (CIE security), or would security+ be enough (doubt it)?

Sorry, to answer your question, I'm really not sure.

Try asking here -

http://www.webhostingtalk.com

They're very knowledgeable on this stuff there.

Grand :)

You do your thing I'll do mine

Thanks, Johnny

• Advertisement

Another nice thing to do is get the CCNA qualification from cisco. Thats what i'm gonna do in the summer, then move onto the other levels.

Now you have to enjoy networking. I actually enjoy it. Good craic linking up routers and switches. only headache (and it can be just a mild one) is writing out large documentation on your network. But isn't everything paper-work these days?

Advertisement