Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy class a replacement for the Oberth class ??

Options
  • 12-03-2004 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

I find it very odd that well know star trek web sites and indeed even the star trek Enclopedia /fans states the Galaxy as being a replacement for the old Oberth class ships.

Firstly the Galaxy class is 5 million ton with Dimensions of Length : 641 Beam : 470 Height : 145 Decks : 42 all in Meters so it’s a big bitch.

The Oberth class is 94.000 ton! With Dimensions of Length : 150.81 Beam : 87 height : 41 Decks : 12 a fudge load smaller

So star fleet is intending to replace Tiny 94.000 ton ships which have been in production for over 90 or so years (so there must be a good few) with ships over 4.9 million tons heavier than them that take 5 years a piece to build and to make it worse they only intended to put 6 into service until the war came along when around 100 galaxy class ships turn up god knows where they where keeping them.....IT MAKES NO SENCE DAMN IT! To replace one ship with one that weighs 53 times more which you have no hope building and supporting in huge numbers.

So i think they/we should scrap the idea it was intended as a replacement to the Oberth and just stick to it being a replacement for the Ambassador class it makes far far more sense.
    Ambassador class : Mass 2.5 million ton (so the galaxy is only 2 times its weight) length : 526 Beam : 320 Height : 125 Decks : 36.
    The galaxy is very close while still being a big step up over the ambassador there both build to be Battleships during war also seeming the Ambassador wasn’t in service to long + is pritty big it lends itself to not having many more than 100-200 in service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The oberth was a science vessel i never saw the galaxy as a replacement for it because as you said it is too large also if a oberth class ship is so week that it cant take 1 hit from a klingon disruptor then it wouldent take 90 years to come up with a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the nova class is the replacement for the oberth class imo

.... What about the Norway class?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by User45701
    The oberth was a science vessel i never saw the galaxy as a replacement for it because as you said it is too large also if a oberth class ship is so week that it cant take 1 hit from a klingon disruptor then it wouldent take 90 years to come up with a replacement.

Sure isn't that what did the Enterprise-D in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by ecksor

Aye, but that was because they knew the sheild frequency.

• Advertisement

Did the Grissom get to raise shields before being hit?

I think someone is grasping at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I think someone is grasping at straws.

Nono, just someone quoting his very little Star Trek knowledge.

[edit]I meant myself btw :)[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I think Ecksor hit the nail firmly on the head with that one. The Grissom obviously had no sheilds up.

I'd say it was a goof Bizmark, if anything the Galaxy was the replacement for the Excelsior and/or Constellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I'd say it was a goof Bizmark, if anything the Galaxy was the replacement for the Excelsior and/or Constellation

I agreed i say it was a mess up with the star trek producers which they tryed to fix with the nova class in voyager.

however the Galaxy is pritty clearly the replacement for the ambasadore they look very very much alike

Excelsior is a replacement for the Conny Ambasadore a replacement for the Excelsior Galaxy replacement for the Ambasadore Sovy replacement for the galaxy
    .... What about the Norway class

Norway is a patrol/diplomatic ship

The E-D was done in by incompetence from riker imho
    I think Ecksor hit the nail firmly on the head with that one. The Grissom obviously had no sheilds up.

aye Ecksor makes good points but the E-D still took a lot of hits then crashed on a planet with little if any deaths on board the oberth took 1 hit with the death of all onboard

Originally posted by bizmark
    The E-D was done in by incompetence from riker imho

Not sure what you're getting at there, but all the commanding officers have had moments of pure stupidity for the sake of the story. Most obvious being Kirk not raising shields as the silent Reliant approached, despite Saavik's objections.

Could have avoided all that malarky with the firefights in the nebula, but I guess the story wouldn't have been quite as exciting.
    aye Ecksor makes good points but the E-D still took a lot of hits then crashed on a planet with little if any deaths on board the oberth took 1 hit with the death of all onboard

I'm not saying the oberth was as good a ship, I'm just pointing to the fallacy of the 'one hit' argument. On that note, I distinctly remember La Forge noting that "It was that last torpedo that must have done it" before they abandoned the drive section. I guess we'll never know if the previous blasts "softened it up".

• Advertisement

Not sure what you're getting at there, but all the commanding officers have had moments of pure stupidity for the sake of the story.

Thats very true Esksor .......Im just a bit bitter at riker for getting the E-D destroyed with out even putting up a decent fight he only fired 1 phaser blast ffs :( At lest kirk give his Enterprise a good showing

I'm not saying the oberth was as good a ship, I'm just pointing to the fallacy of the 'one hit' argument. On that note, I distinctly remember La Forge noting that "It was that last torpedo that must have done it" before they abandoned the drive section. I guess we'll never know if the previous blasts "softened it up". [/B]

I remember one of the last shot that we seen hit very very close to the Main impulse engine's they keep a lot of explosive stuff in there + 4 fusion reactors any bad damage to those systems could = boom on there own.

But other than causing Star treks loved "power surge" through the warp core cooling systems (remember there was a big explosion where jordy was looking) i don’t see how that would cause damage to the core .......I guess it was something we didn’t see :dunno:

Also a BOP should only have 1 emergency torpedo we seen it fire around 3 in the first few seconds........Damn movie :D

Not sure what you're getting at there, but all the commanding officers have had moments of pure stupidity for the sake of the story. Most obvious being Kirk not raising shields as the silent Reliant approached, despite Saavik's objections.

Could have avoided all that malarky with the firefights in the nebula, but I guess the story wouldn't have been quite as exciting.
    ]

Yes but it wasent stupidity. StarFleet regulations are to go to yellow alert. I thought that ment charge shields but not engage them. I know he didnt go to yellow alert but even if he did it probbley wouldent have made that much of a difference.

It was a great story tho, one of the best movies

I'm not saying the oberth was as good a ship, I'm just pointing to the fallacy of the 'one hit' argument. On that note, I distinctly remember La Forge noting that "It was that last torpedo that must have done it" before they abandoned the drive section. I guess we'll never know if the previous blasts "softened it up".

You make a good point we will never know. They where hit a fair few times so we can assume that some of the first hits weekend containment or damaged the bulkheads around the core.

Originally posted by User45701
    Yes but it wasent stupidity. StarFleet regulations are to go to yellow alert. I thought that ment charge shields but not engage them. I know he didnt go to yellow alert but even if he did it probbley wouldent have made that much of a difference.

It was stupid, he admitted it himself.

And I'm pretty sure the script specified raising shields.

Yellow alert = put up the shields but don’t engage the weapons .....It’s a defense mode with out being a threat to some other ship.....And if Kirk had the shields up the enterprise wouldn’t have been that badly damaged

My mistake. i thought yellow alert was shields charged but not activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

This is by bleedin far the nerdiest thread I've ever witnessed on boards.

this is the star trek forum what do you expect?

oh and btw

indenial.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Sure, sure :D

I'm just stating a fact! Nothing else :)

/me points out, just for the record, that he likes star trek

I wuv star trek

and iv watched it for years upon years + read many many things about it im bound to pick this up over time

Ive been watching it for a very long time, one of my first emeories is hearing Bones say "God jim im beginning to think i can cure a rainy day"
    Another amusing one of my fist memories is in busy park my granny being attacked by a swan....

On another note yes star trek rules so does SG1.
    MutantX is Bad

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Sure, sure :D

I'm just stating a fact! Nothing else :)

/me points out, just for the record, that he likes star trek

thats ok then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Galaxy was a replacement for the 2nd version of the constellation afaik (ones like the Stargazer, with 4 warp nacelles...)

the stargaze is a cruiser the replacement for that pos would be the akira

well what's before the Galaxy then, from the game ST: BotF i know that the one after Galaxy is the Galaxy-X then the Soverign class but before stumps me. What class was the Enterprise - C?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Ambassador I think.

the galaxy X doesn't exist its a future thing just from the last ep of TNG so the ship may or may not come about i suppose. the enterprise C is an ambassador class starship

C was embasador class, i thought that the stargazer might be a embasador class replacement because they are similar in size and type.

the stargazer is constellation class iirc

constellation is TOS Enterprise class

• Advertisement

I believe that Stargazer is the 2nd version Constellation, but the Ambassador is classified as a Command and Control ship like the Galaxy and Soverign in the game ST : BotF 'tis a bit confusing alright

Advertisement