Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis

• 12-03-2004 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Who do you prefer Blur or Oasis ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Blur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Come on DocJ! You seriously prefer Blur over Oasis. Admit it - its just because Oasis were over-hyped, and forced on your ears continuously. I find it hard to believe you would have piced Blur if your opinion was purely based on musical expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Nice Father ted reference there Aurther Hugh...

Fr Damo: "Who do you prefer, Blur or Oasis?"

Fr Dougal: "Ummm, Blur?"

Fr Damo "Wha?"

Blur definitely. Less hype for sure. Better musicians, better songs, actual musical progression, originality, creativity, separate eye-brows. Oasis were decent but Blur were/are the better band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

definitly maybe...........better than..........leisure, modern life is rubbish

whats the story mG........better than.........park life, great escape

but the latter comparison is of differnet styles of music- PL and GE had some great tracks but WTSMG was IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE the album of my teenage years!

Be here now.......better than...........Blur
    overall but be here now was a bit samey and blur had some great songs and some **** ones! -"you're so great" and "on your own" were class

After that Oasis got CRAP and blur got UP THEIR OWN ARSES but i'd take the arty alternative blur over the dull new oasis!

the conlusion i myself draw is that Oasis had more consistent songs and Blurs were more Good Great or Terrible leading to patchy albums!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

blur are better musicians, they're not assholes or media whores and they put on a good live show.

oasis are the opposite.

Jesus lads, you're being trolled. Did you not read the bit about the Fr ted reference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by magpie
    Jesus lads, you're being trolled. Did you not read the bit about the Fr ted reference?

Yeah, but we don't care.
    Blur definitely. Less hype for sure. Better musicians, better songs, actual musical progression, originality, creativity, separate eye-brows. Oasis were decent but Blur were/are the better band.

I dunno. I guess I was surprised at that, given your opinion on other matters of rock, but I guess your opinion is your opinion, and assumption is the mother of... something. (I'm sure there's a clichè there somewhere...)

It depends on what you define makes a 'better band'. To me, it would be good songs. I'd say Oasis were far better in that respect. Sure, they weren't even technically competent, but they managed. Blur forced squeaky, arty, Britpop at us for ages - nothing, in my opinion, compared to the fairly decent rock songs that Oasis delivered.

To me, Oasis lost it when they stopped believing they were the best band in the world. Rather than being over-arrogant, they lacked it. Noel decided he needed to write 10-minute prog-rock tracks if he was ever going to be considered a decent songwriter, and avoiding writing the kind of music he was actually good at. When they believed they were actually the greatest band in the world, they were at their best.

Hey - go take a look at the "What makes a great singer" thread. Everybody has pointed out that confidence, arrogance, etc are all the qualities you need to be a rock singer. Then you say that's a fault of Oasis? Seems contradictory to me.

Anyway, maybe I'm biased - I was an Oasis fan back in the day. But for me, Blur shouldn't have even been considered in the same genre as Oasis, let alone compared directly to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

Does anyone remember the Blur v Oasis Michael Burke news item on the BBC ! Awwww the 90's teenage experience!

I would have thought, given yer fondness for Mansun, that Oasis would've been well down the list.

For me, Oasis' first album was very good, even though there was a fair amount of "borrowing" on it. 2nd album being honest, a few great songs, a few bad songs, overall OK. 3rd album, just terrible. 4th, better than the 3rd but still pretty weak, 5th Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :p

Blur had 2 albums out before anyone heard of "Britpop". Both albums showed imagination and wit and a good creative energy. Parklife is, imo, definitely one of the finest albums of that era. Great Escape, I'd rank alongside Morning Glory, some great songs, some bad songs. From then on, Oasis are just mediocre at best, surviving purely on the goodwill generated by the first two albums. Blur changed their sound, some people like it, some don't, I do. I think Blur have grown and gotten better whereas Oasis seem to be stuck in their own shadow.

I was finished with teenagery when all that started happening, so I don't look at it with rose coloured glasses, I successfully avoided they hype, they were decent bands putting out decent music, neither band was the soundtrack to any of my summers though :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, but we don't care

fair point...

My 2p's worth is that Blur are a much more important band than Oasis, they've straddled baggy, britpop, artrock and world muzak and always maanaged to make it sound fresh and vibrant. Oasis are stuck in a Lads-mag reading beer'n'tits mindframe and are incapable of moving from the du-nu-du-nu-dun-nu-du-nang! school of rock writing, much like ver Quo.

My personal fave Blur album is Leisure, it's like early pink floyd with better drumming and tasty guitar hooks. Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The reason I love Oasis is because it opened up a whole musical era for me to listen to, Artists such as

The Beatles
    Bob Dylan
    The Jam
    The Style Council
    The Small Faces
    Rolling Stones
    The Beach Boys
    The Who
    Slade
    T-Rex

Oasis > Blur

And i like Blur as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Oasis without a bleeding doubt there the best band to ever come out of britain imo bar The Beatles of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

bazH i have been brought up on Bob Dylan imo he's the best musician and song writer in the world ever. Even better than John Lennon. Even though i do love The Beatles and John Lennon i love Bob Dylan even more. He's the greatest no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Blur released some truely great pop songs during the 90s, and overall have been pushing musical bounderies much further than Oasis.

So, Blur, definetly.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

blur are the much better band imo

oasis just trying to look, be and sound like the beatles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by The Phenom
    bazH i have been brought up on Bob Dylan imo he's the best musician and song writer in the world ever. Even better than John Lennon. Even though i do love The Beatles and John Lennon i love Bob Dylan even more. He's the greatest no doubt.
    Gotta agree with you there, Subterranean Homesick Blues still sounds class to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

oasis without a doubt.they have proved themselves over the years with great albums,bsides and covers.much better than blur and up there with the best.

Advertisement