Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

• 12-03-2004 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Real Madrid v Monaco

Milan V Deportivo

Porto v Lyon

Chelsea v Arsenal :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Semi-finals predictions:

Real Madrid v Arsenal
    Milan v Lyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Chelsea v Arsenal

What a pity, would have been nice to seen the english sides miss each other.

Oh well.

Real should cruise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Monaco
    Milan
    Porto
    Chelsea

(hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Real Madrid v Monaco
    Real to cruise, 4-1 on aggregate
    Milan V Deportivo
    Deportivo to upset, 2-1 on aggregate
    Porto v Lyon
    Porto to scrape it on away goals, 2-2 aggregate
    Chelsea v Arsenal :):)
    Unfortunately Arsenal to win, 2-0 aggregate :(
    I really hope Chelsea can pull it together to win this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by irish1
    Chelsea v Arsenal

Oh well.

Real should cruise

Agreed. I fancy chelsea to do the business on the Gunners if they are at full strength. Madrid milan and Porto to go throught as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I think Chelsa will win, its very rare that one team will beat another three times in a season, let alone 4 :)

shame though as I would like to see a real / gunners finnal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I think Chelsea have some sort of hoodoo about Arsenal though. Can't see Chelsea having the right mentality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Out of Arsenal and Chelsea I would imagine that Arsenal are happier about the draw. Chelsea didn't look like they could win any of the games against Arsenal this season and I dont see what can change for them. Arsenal will be happy that both ties are in England reducing their travel time and making DB available for both legs.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I dunno, it seems that Chelsea can manage to lose to Arse with amazing consistency, the Gooners always seem more up for it, even when they come to SB Chelsea generally make a mess of it. We still (like everyone else in the UK) have no answer to Henry, Viera, Pires.

But , I am hopeful that the Chels team will be sufficiently motivated by the embarassment that would be caused by the Arse putting them out of the cup, out of the premiership title race and then out of the CL.
    I know I'm sicking of losing to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Arsenal will get it because the second leg is played in Highbury.

BTW- for those who didn't know the winner of the English match plays the winner of the Real Madrid match in the semi's.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Will Morientes be allowed to play against Real Madrid in the Quarter Final? Imagine if he knocked Real out!! :eek:

BTW... I hope Chelsea will beat Arsenal, and they probably will do so over two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

This draw will suit Arsenal. It has been said in the past that Arsenal's football doesn't suit Europe, and is much better suited to the premiership. Recent European form aside, this is generally true imo. Arsenal will approach the two legs like Premiership matches, and will win 2-0 in each of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

1/4 finals:

Porto Vs Lyon = Porto

Arsenal vs Chelsea = Arsenal

Real vs Monaco = Real (going to be interesting for Morenties)

Milan vs Deportivo = Milan

1/2 finals:

Real vs Arsenal = Arsenal (two great games)

Milan vs Porto = Milan

The final is anybodys guess. Also I think that Porto vs Lyon will be the closest of the quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Oooh good, Milan missed the small teams.

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    Also I think that Porto vs Lyon will be the closest of the quarter finals.
    IMO Chelsea-Arsenal and Milan-Deportivo are harder to predict. Porto should easily beat Lyon.

IMO Chelsea-Arsenal and Milan-Deportivo are harder to predict. Porto should easily beat Lyon.

Chelsea have been unable to beat Arsenal in a long time, including three times this season. I think it will be close, with home advantage playing no part, but Arsenal will prevail.

Milan have a great defence and have conceded no goals away from home this season in the champions league, which will help them progress.

As for Porto vs Lyon, lyon are a good team on a good run of from at the moment. They have performed consistantly well in the CL over the last few seasons, and it was not that long ago that the knocked out Arsenal.

I think that while Porto and Dep are good teams, but they are being talked up on the back of their victories this week against two flawed and understrength teams.

I think that while Porto and Dep are good teams, but they are being talked up on the back of their victories this week against two flawed and understrength teams.
    I said before Christmas that Porto were the most underrated team in the cl and they will beat United so I am not talking them up after their victory. And, BTW, Porto had 4 of their strikers injured for the ManU game too so they were understrenght aswell.

As for Chelsea-Arsenal, Duff has not played a full match for Chelsea against Arsenal and he missed the last 2. If Duff is at the top of his game Chelsea could scrape it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

What an awful Champions League compared to last year's ...... fair enough, I am a keen Juve supporter still very frustrated for the outcome of the match against Deportivo, but look at the final 8 this year: where are the big teams like Valencia, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man UTD, Juve, Inter Milan..........??? What do Monaco and Lyon do there?? I really hope we will soon get back the the old formula, with a second 4 groups stage and the first 2 of each group going to the quarter, this way if you have a bad day a lose a match you have time to recover........

:mad:

I don't care who is going to win this CL at this point but I will pray day and night to see AC Milan kicked out as soon as possible!!!
    I hate them so much that the other day I bet 50 Euro on their victory (were given 5-1 at the time), so if I have to die at least I bring some money with me
    :D:D:D :

I agree that Porto are underated but so are Lyon. They are both good teams, that is why I believe that that game will be very close.

If you look at the Lyon team, they have both french and brazilian internationals and are very strong through out and I expect a close game between them.

Porto were not missing thie main strikers, United were missing their best midfielder and defender (I am not a united fan BTW). Even though I think that Porto probably still would have won, as United are overrated.

Arsenal were missing Bergkamp the last time they they played Chelsea, so that would cancel out the Duff arguement. But I think that Arsenal play as a team and not a group of individuals, and there is now something psychological between Arsenal and Chelsea and that is why Arsenal will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by DUX
    where are the big teams like Valencia, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man UTD, Juve, Inter Milan..........???

Beaten by better teams.
    I really hope we will soon get back the the old formula, with a second 4 groups stage and the first 2 of each group going to the quarter, this way if you have a bad day a lose a match you have time to recover........

Of the teams you mentioned, 3 of them would not have qualified for the second group. The other 3 were beaten over 2 days, not one.

The second group stage was not a good idea. The only reason it was there was purely financial and it didnt help the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

thats the end or raineirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

That is a shame, I can't see Chelsea beating Arsenal.

Porto were not missing thie main strikers, United were missing their best midfielder and defender (I am not a united fan BTW).
    Derlei, Ceser Peixoto, Maciel and Conceicao were out for both legs. Add to that Costinha who was out for the first leg and Jorge Costa (the Roy Keane of Porto) who went off injured at the start of the second leg.

I am a Celtic fan so have seen both teams play against us and if I had a choice I would definitely prefer to play Lyon.
    Arsenal were missing Bergkamp the last time they they played Chelsea, so that would cancel out the Duff arguement.
    No it does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What are the chances of Arsenal beating Chelsea 2-1 on both occassions? Its already happened 3 times this season.

I have to admit - I feel sorry for Chelsea. Arsenal seem to be the only team in the world that they have a problem playing against, and they've been drawn against them in almost every competition! At least its a chance for revenge. I think most of the matches are just to close to predict at this stage.

Real vs. Monaco? Probably Real, but it could be close. Is the second leg in Monte Carlo?

Milan vs. Deportivo? Impossible to call.

Porto vs. Lyon? The two smaller teams. Too tough for me to call!

Chelsea vs. Arsenal? Something tells me it might be 2-1 to Arsenal, but then again, Chelsea have the players to beat anyone on the day. As do Arsenal, I suppose. I wouldn't even like to guess!

No it does not.

Why doesn't it? Both teams have in the past been missing the strongest creative influence in their respective teams and now both teams will have them back. Duff has youth and speed on his side, Bergkamp has experience and superior skill on his side.

By the way Porto are better off without Costa, as he is crap. Benni McCarthy is Porto's best striker and a very very good player.

Fine if you have your opinion that Porto are a better side and maybe they are but I think that Lyon are more than a match for them, but neither team are good enough to win the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Why doesn't it? Both teams have in the past been missing the strongest creative influence in their respective teams and now both teams will have them back. Duff has youth and speed on his side, Bergkamp has experience and superior skill on his side.

Bergkamp may once have had the same influenece as Duff does now, but not anymore.

I think only Veira or Henry have the same influence on Arsenal as Duff has on Chelsea

Abramovich should tell the players that if they beat Arsenal over the two legs that Ranieri will definitely be there next season. That should get them to win.;)

Why doesn't it?
    Because we have seen what both teams are like without both players. Its doesn't make a difference if Bergkamp plays, they still win. Look what difference Duff makes to Chelsea. They would get about 10% more possession with Duff playing on the left.

talking to a lot of arsenal fans who are quitely worried that their unbelieveable run of form against Chelsea over the last few years has to come to an end eventually, a CL semi-place would nearly make up for them knocking Chelsea out of the FA every year.

Duff will make a big difference as Eirebhoy say Chels get a lot more possession and free kicks when Duffer is on form .... if Cudicini is out, as looks likely, then Chelsea are doomed , Sullivan cannot kick a football and shouldn't be in the squad, the 3rd choice keeper Ambrosio is soo bad that a 6 foot tall stack of cans of creamed rice is likely to be as effective at stopping any shot on goal.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DUX
    where are the big teams like Valencia, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man UTD, Juve, Inter Milan..........???
    In a bigger and better competition.;)

They would get about 10% more possession with Duff playing on the left.

It does not matter how much possession you have it is what you do with it. Henry, Reyes and Bergkamp will do a lot more with it than Mutu, Crespo, Hasselbaink and Gudjohnesen. Also Arsenal get a lot more goals from midfield than Chelsea. Duff will help in that respect, Lampard will chip in with a few, but Parker, Makalele and others will not.

Parker has played 4 league games and scored once, Makalele is a defensive midfielder and not really expected to score goals from open play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

As much as I would LOVE cheslki to beat the gunners I really can't see it happening.

I hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by DUX
    I hate them so much that the other day I bet 50 Euro on their victory (were given 5-1 at the time), so if I have to die at least I bring some money with me
    :D:D:D :

What moron bookmaker would give odds of 5/1 on Milan winning at home against Sparta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I fancy Chelsea to do it. True Arsenal have a tremendous record against them but this is a new Chelsea team so the 16 years or games or whatever it is doesn't apply. I know Arsenal have beaten them 3 times this season but the CL is the big one for Chelsea and its the one their big name players give a toss about. A lot of them never looked interested in the Arsenal matches but they will be in this. Arsenal still have Prem/FA Cupwhereas this is basically Chelsea's only hope. Makelele will be a key to success as he did very poor against Arsenal so far but he should be up for it with the opportunity to meet Real in the semis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by Emboss
    As much as I would LOVE cheslki to beat the gunners I really can't see it happening.

I hope I'm wrong

Dunno why, maybe its just a hope but with Duff back and if he is match fit by the time the games are played I think maybe Chelsea can do it!
    Im certainly hoping they can as I cant believe how arrogant Arsenal fans have become in such a short space of time, they sounds like Man U fans without the trophy cabinet.

Think all the games will be interesting and wouldnt put it past Deportivo to cause an upset this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GreatKingRat

Theres every chance Chelsea will progress through this tie. One thing that seems to be forgotten about this Arsenal run is that for every top class performance there has been a game they didnt really turn it on, but edged through, sometimes with a healthy dose of luck, which is needed to go on a run like that.
    I dont think they were significantly superior to Chelsea in those 3 games this season, there wasnt much in it.

Aside from the parity of class in the two squads, obviously Arsenal look more fluid than any other team in Europe at this moment (ie recent weeks), but their dismal record in the ECL is still hanging over them.
    By comparison, I think this Chelsea team have more in them than they've shown so far, and this game is going to be about people's futures at Stamford Bridge, as if they needed any more incentive to finally turn it on.

Wenger's right to kick off the mindgames about "knowing how to beat the Blues" http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_103492.shtml

but having been edged out 3 times in a row this season, Chelsea are well due a dose of luck at some stage in these ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

quote:
    Makelele will be a key to success

Very true. Crespo, Makelele, and Desailly have all been winners in European competitions. Not much of that around Highbury.
    This should be Chelsea's time to give Arse a wake-up call.

A Monaco - Chelsea semi would be fine by me!!

The Deportivo - AC game is the pick of the bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 slieveb

By the way Porto are better off without Costa, as he is crap. Benni McCarthy is Porto's best striker and a very very good player.

Fine if you have your opinion that Porto are a better side and maybe they are but I think that Lyon are more than a match for them, but neither team are good enough to win the CL.

Costa is old and slow IMO, but not crap. And Porto don't have a better option for his position.

Derlei is Portos top striker, this season and last. He has ben injured for three months now and McCarthy has only overtaken him in goals scored in the past week.
    Derlei was top scorer in Porttugal and in the UEFA Cup last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

Originally posted by PiE
    What moron bookmaker would give odds of 5/1 on Milan winning at home against Sparta?

5/1 to win CL (this was before the second leg match against Sparta), now the odds have gone down of course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

Are you serious ? How can anyone actually support the huns...

I cant wait to see Real Madrid playing Arsenal and showing them up for the crappy english side that they are.

I also hope that Milan go bye bye in the next match, I cant stand the Italian fixation on defence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I cant wait to see Real Madrid playing Arsenal and showing them up for the crappy english side that they are

when last did you look at the english premier league table?

it is by no means certain real with get past monaco with such ease, they are a handy team and well organised by D Deschamps
    and the arsenal chelsea match is going to be very close too. the away goals are going to be crucial too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

Real beat Bayern even without Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos... they werent even trying! They will sweep away Monaco with ease. Arsenal wont beat the best team in the world thats for sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

last time i looked ac milan were the best team in the world and imo still are!

Originally posted by thesecret7
    Real beat Bayern even without Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos... they werent even trying! They will sweep away Monaco with ease. Arsenal wont beat the best team in the world thats for sure
    Bayern must be the worst team in the CL the last 2 years. They may look good on paper, thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

quote:
    Originally posted by jank
    and the arsenal chelsea match is going to be very close too. the away goals are going to be crucial too

last time i looked ac milan were the best team in the world and imo still are!

Thats some very novel & refreshing honesty for an Arsenal fan, well said

Advertisement