Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time Celtic got the Respect they deserve

• 12-03-2004 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

I watched Celtic last night run to death and get a result that any team in Europe would be proud of.

Now I know they didn't play the best football in the world but they were short a few players and I think they played to a game plan very well.

Certain posters here have called Celtic Sh.it on a few occasions, I think any team that can go 74 games unbeaten at home is far from that.

Now I know the standard of domestic football is very low but Celtic have proved time and time again in Europe that they are a very good side.

Go on the HOOPS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Originally posted by irish1
    Celtic have proved time and time again in Europe that they are a very good side.

Have they really?

They were lucky last night. I appreciate they battled very hard, like any Martin O'Neill side will. But on another night Barca would have scored 3 or 4.

However, O'Neill has earned them respect. No team wants to be drawn against celtic because the know they will have to battle hard to win, but i still think they are far from a "very good side".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not sure I agree. I thought in the first half Celtic were very, very tactically naive and played into Barcelona's hands, allowing themselves to get caught on the break time after time and in all fairness, they should have been behind by half-time.

After the sending-off's they raised their game, pushed harried and put real pressure on Barcelona, but once they got the goal they seemed content to see out time. They could have really given themselves a big advantage to take to the Nou Camp, but as it stands now, I'm not sure they won't regret not pushing 9-man Barcelona more.

Celtic aren't ****, they're a good team that play better than the sum of their parts thanks to a great manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Despite the fact that I like Celtic and enjoy the irishness buzz as well in small doses...

The title of this thread made me cringe

I mean, come on....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm not saying their world beaters, but they are a very good side who work very hard. They beat Liverpool and Blackburn last year on their way to the Uefa Cup Final now I doubt a side would do that unless they were very good.

I'm not saying their world beaters, but they are a very good side who work very hard. They beat Liverpool and Blackburn last year on their way to the Uefa Cup Final now I don't a side would do that unless they were very good.

Absolutely very good!

Im a Blackburn supporter and they pissed on us

just the whole "due respect" thing

a bit 'wrestle-mania' for me :)

I know what you're saying though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I'm afraid you may be wasting your time Irish1.
    I agree with you 100% but time and time again ppl on this board find reasons to rubbish Celtic.

As long as the supporters know how good they are thats enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

May I remind people saying Celtic had a bad performance last night that half the bloody squad was injured. Ther was only 6 subs on the bench when we were allowed 7. The backup for the goalkeeper was a 19 year old, their was no proper backup for any position other than central midfield were we had Lambert on the bench. Celtic havn't playing a 4-4-2 against a big team in Europe in I don't know how long. Our no.1 right winger had to play at right back. Three of our forwards were injured, Sutton, Hartson and Maloney. Due to the way Beattie (who only startedhis second game for Celtic) was playing (more to the right), Larsson had to stay up front more or less on his own when he usually loves to play out wider.

They could have tried a little harder when they went 1-0 up but due to the injuries MON said he would accept a 0-0 so the players would have been happy with 1-0.

The Rangers Life-plan

Are you worried about the future?

Let's face it, we're not getting any younger and we all have to think
    about our lavish lifestyles after our careers are over.

· Are you over 33?
    · Are you well past your best?
    · Are you looking for an easy life?

Then you are eligible for the Rangers Life-Plan!

WE PAY YOU £30,000 a week, there's a pointless medical and no
    salesperson will call (well, you might get a shot in the company plane).

CALL NOW! There's a FREE house, luxury car and limitless golf at some
    of Scotland's finest courses.

Don't take our word for it, read these recommendations from some very
    satisfied clients?.

"When I'm no longer playing, I know my family will be financially
    secure" Frank, Glasgow.

"I recommended the Rangers plan to all my family."
    Ronald, Glasgow

"The Rangers plan supplemented my pension, just when I thought it was
    too late." Claudio, Buenos Aires

"The generosity of the Rangers plan is unmatched in the world of
    pension finance. It was the best move I have ever made." Egil, Glasgow

"Even when everyone said I was too old, Rangers were prepared to
    supplement my pension with an outrageous offer." Henning, Glasgow

"Despite being permanently injured I was still eligible for the
    Rangers Life-plan year after year!" Michael, Glasgow

So don't sit there worrying about the future - relax - that phone will
    ring!

Ranger's Life-Plan is regulated by D Murray and his pals at the bank
    and is funded by the 50,000 who have invested in the "RFC Season Ticket"
    pyramid scam over the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Seen it before

i posted that especially for you too sean, now im dissappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

no, now your spamming :rolleyes:

Until they win something big, or at least play half decent football, then and only then will they deserve some respect

Originally posted by bazH
    no, now your spamming :rolleyes:

Until they win something big, or at least play half decent football, then and only then will they deserve some respect

:rolleyes:

Runners up in Uefa Cup is no mean acheivement mate!!

They can play good football when have the full squad available.

Runners up

Baz thats the most stupid reply Ive seen in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I can't believe you wouldn't rate a team who, as far as their detractors are concerned play in a sh1te league devoid of decent players, have only a few players of quality etc. etc. manage to get to the finals of the UEA cup by beating a lot of teams that on paper should have beaten them. Their performance in beating Barca last night was not pretty but no one can take away the credit O neill, the players and their supporters deserve in making them a team no one wants to meet in Europe.

Great Post bazH,

Runners up is an achievment, they beat some good teams on the way.

Let me think would you rather be knocked out in the 3rd round or get a runners up medal.:confused::confused:

Runners up is an achievment, they beat some good teams on the way.
    For you possibly, but to allow them respect would mean for them to win something big. Maybe you have lower standards than me ;)

For you possibly, but to allow them respect would mean for them to win something big. Maybe you have lower standards than me ;)

FFS bazh, as I already said I think there a very good side who deserve some respect, I never said they were world beaters or would beat every team in Europe.

They have gone 74 games unbeaten at home!!!!

Maybe you have lower standards than me ;)

lets get one thing straight- we're talking about a group of OTHER MEN, people like us, me, you Baz and you Irish- WATCH, mostly just on tv play football!uc

OUR OWN standards have f all to do with anything! unless you play for somone better than Celtic Baz!

By your reckoning- if we all had 'high standards' we'd all support Brazil or France and Whoever won the Champions Leaue and only have Zidane or Ronaldo or Henry onthe back of our jerseys!!!!!!

I support Blackburn and have Tugay 8 on my jersey cos i get a buzz outa watchin him and them play

nothing to do with STANDARDS!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Utter Rubbish. Sport is not all about winning, Celtic have achived a euopean final last year beating two premiership clubs on the way, have been head and shoulders above the rest in an admittedly poor domestic league and done well again in europe this year. I,m not a Celtic supporter but IMO they deserve to be recognised for those achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Fair play to the bhoys but i feel they were lucky.
    On another note, Some Celitic fans lastnight were a disgrace,first they failed to shut their traps during the minutes silence then they BOO Barca and indeed most visiting teams.
    IMO its getting worse,im Celtic fan but it pains me to see this bahaviour going on.
    It reminds me of when a Rangers player or ex-player is booed every time he touches the ball during Internationls at Lansdowne RD.
    Mindless morons comes to mind.

Originally posted by Dcully
    IMO its getting worse,im Celtic fan but it pains me to see this bahaviour going on.
    It reminds me of when a Rangers player or ex-player is booed every time he touches the ball during Internationls at Lansdowne RD.
    There was a reason for the booing. Seriously, think, can you actually imagine any fans in the world that would boo during a minute silence for something as serious as that? I can't.

What happened was a few Barcelona fans were singing during the minute's silence for some reason or other and a few of the Celtic fans started telling them to shut up and booed them. Check the BBC 606 message board, its all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

great performance last night- unbelievable atmosphere
    park head is definetely the best atmospheric stadium in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

I was at the match and Celtic played amazing. They kept Barca at bay, they were defensively solid, and were amazing on the break. Stephen Pearson was outstanding, leading the way. He was at the heart of everything.

The only thing that soured the night was the Barca fans talking and boo'ing during the minute silence.

The Celtic fans were silent apart from a few people shouting at the Barca fans to shut up and rightfully so. It was a disgrace their talking and boo'ing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by Dcully
    Fair play to the bhoys but i feel they were lucky.
    On another note, Some Celitic fans lastnight were a disgrace,first they failed to shut their traps during the minutes silence then they BOO Barca and indeed most visiting teams.

It was half a dozen Barca fans (if that) who were so wound up by the days events in Madrid that they were unable to contain themselves!
    You really should at least make an effort to find out the facts before you go shuting your mouth off make you look silly when you dont!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Unlike Man U or Chelsea (which do you support?) Celtic cannot go out and buy competitions by simply buying up every half decent player at an inflated price that comes on the market .

Like the vast majority of teams in world football today Celtic have to make the best out of what they have got which they certainly have!
    And for that they should get plenty of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

if you watched the news today dcully (or a paper of some sort) you would have seen that the barca fans were singing and shouting in support FOR ETA (the spanish terrorist group who were suspected of being behind the bombings)

some of the celtic support booed the barca fans for having no respect what so ever.

so dcully please check out your facts before you go slating ppl.

I have great respect for celtic, that is enough for me personally, i dont need every person on boards to do so... they should be respected for doing what they acheived but different people have different views (your a utd supporter baz? or are you now a arsenal fan now that they are winning things as you seem like a 'glory supporter' but heh..) (note: i havent been keeping upto date with football forums recently so cant remember who you actually support..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

I watched Celtic last night run to death and get a result that any team in Europe would be proud of.

Now I know they didn't play the best football in the world but they were short a few players and I think they played to a game plan very well.

Certain posters here have called Celtic Sh.it on a few occasions, I think any team that can go 74 games unbeaten at home is far from that.

Now I know the standard of domestic football is very low but Celtic have proved time and time again in Europe that they are a very good side.

Go on the HOOPS.
    Did you know that barce tried to get the game postponed due to unsettling events at home . of course barce were frustrated and could't play to their potential . Celtic did play well though in fairness

Supported Liverpool since i was born, i have family there so it was kinda passed onto me.

I was replying in respect to this sudden "Give Celtic Repect" crap as the thread implies, Im sure they will go onto win something major(within the next few years), but to suddenly bow my head and acknowledge them as a great team, i cant.

They have won nothing (yet!)

Im`not anti- celtic, of course i cheer them on and hope they win, even when they beat the pool, i was glad it was them and not some random team.

:)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by carl carlson
    Did you know that barce tried to get the game postponed due to unsettling events at home . of course barce were frustrated and could't play to their potential . Celtic did play well though in fairness
    Do you really think the Barcelona players (over half of them non-Spanish) were really affected on the pitch because of the bombs? If there was a big terrorist attack on O'Connell st. I wouldn't be thinking about it on the pitch. They wanted it prosponed as a mark of respect as did Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Hey, I'm a Barca supporter and DETEST Celtic.

However...

...I don't think the events in Madrid could have affected their performances enough to be used as a stupid excuse for the 1 nil defeat.

Congratulations to Celtic, really close game but congratulations.

Ye can't seriously think ye are going to get anything better than a 3 nil loss in the Nou Camp though can ye? :) hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Do you really think the Barcelona players (over half of them non-Spanish) were really affected on the pitch because of the bombs? If there was a big terrorist attack on O'Connell st. I wouldn't be thinking about it on the pitch. They wanted it prosponed as a mark of respect as did Celtic.
    O`Connell street is in dublin not Glasgow

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    O`Connell street is in dublin not Glasgow
    The bombs were in Madrid not Glasgow so what do you mean by that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Probably that using a terrorist attack Dublin was a bad example, a terrorist attack in Glasgow would have been a better idea.... Scotland/Ireland, different countries ya know! :)

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Probably that using a terrorist attack Dublin was a bad example, a terrorist attack in Glasgow would have been a better idea.... Scotland/Ireland, different countries ya know! :)
    The reason I said Dublin is because I live their and if 200 people I didn't know were killed, it wouldn't affect me on the pitch.

Off that topic, Celtic nearly lost their 75 game unbeaten run at home today, Larsson came off the bench to make it 1-1. O'Neill put out a team with a few youngsters though.

• Advertisement

Well when you are 15 points clear {were 17 i think because Rangers drew yesterday} and have one eye on a return leg in Barcelona I dont blame Martin for resting key players. The squad is streched as it is no point picking up pointless injuries against Motherwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

"after Celtic's gutless, disgraceful and shambolic draw against Motherwell today there is only one option left open to Martin O'Neill now.

- He must resign immediately"

Unknown individual, Dublin pub 6pm today

Some Celtic fan he is...Celtic get a draw and he wants Martin O'Neill to resign. What a prat. Does he not remember the days when Rangers dominated the SPL, O'Neill restored pride in the East end, bringing us on a glorious european run.

And again ill say that guy is a prat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Some Celtic fan he is..
    *sigh* you get tossers like that :(

I think it was great that a lot of promising young players like Ross Wallace and Kennedy got a full game yesterday, let alone marshall getting a full game in goal. Its clear beatie is not the 'real deal' up front, but were gonna need him for all the games for the rest of the season, and maybe even the start of next season so he needs the time under his belt.

Having seen the game over the web, I dont think there was anything he could have done about the goal really. The experience will do no end of good before the barca game..

What it does show is how much were going to miss ghod. But we are good at finding these players in the middle of nowhere (like Viduka remember) so lets hope they have a plan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MontyBurns

I can't belive some of the "detractors" on this thread!!

Most of these people are probably Arsenal or Man U fans who everyone knows are not short of a few pennies!!

As someone else has said previously, for a team that plays in what people always call "a mediocre league" to reach the UEFA cup final is a remarkable achievement, and if ANY manager had the money to spend that the Arsenals and Man Us of this world have, surely they could "achieve" something as well!

• Advertisement

Celtic do have the money, just their board refuse to give M.O.N it.

They better cough up some cash to get a subtle replacement for Larsson someone like Henry or Ronaldo!, even they would struggle to fill GOD's boots!.

Ok serious times Celtic can only beat whats in front of them and what infront of them are teams in the SPL and Celtic have beat them all. In Europe Celtic have beat some of the biggest names in the game, Juve, Barcelona, Liverpool, and many more. They've also beat Man utd and Arsenal be it in friendlies but they still beat them.

And the youth needed a run out especially Marshall if he is going to be in the firing line at the Nu Camp.

Originally posted by markomac316
    Celtic do have the money, just their board refuse to give M.O.N it.
    Celtic are in debt and I can't see them spending much on a replacement for Ghod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Celtic do have the money
    even with spending feck all last year, and getting to the uefa cup final we lot someting like 5 million quid last year..

We dont have money to buy feck all, its time to hope we find a diamond in the middle of nowhere for next to nothing like when we got Viduka from Croatia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Lets just hope that whoever they get doesn't have the um "issues" that Vuduka had!:)

Advertisement