Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio Proves he did not take Drugs

• 12-03-2004 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

RIO FERDINAND has proved to the FA that he is no drug cheat.

A hair follicle test he took came up NEGATIVE.

The test, carried out by scientific experts, is designed to show whether a person used drugs in the previous six months.

Manchester United’s £30million England defender was banned for eight months for failing to take a drug test at the club’s Carrington training ground on September 23.

Ferdinand has always argued he simply forgot to provide a sample rather than deliberately avoided doing so.

He insists he has never used drugs and twice asked the FA to test his hair to prove it.

The test is widely recognised and often used by City institutions to examine whether prospective employees have abused narcotics.

Though the FA refused Ferdinand’s request, he decided to get one done.

Now he has submitted it as evidence for his appeal, which will be heard next Thursday and Friday.

The FA argue the results are irrelevant. They have never accused Ferdinand of being a drug taker, only of missing the test.

Ferdinand accepts he made a mistake but argues his sentence is totally out of proportion to the offence.

While the FA may not consider the test relevant, Ferdinand’s team hope the independent QC on the appeal panel, Ian Mill, will take it into account.

The aim is to get the star’s sentence cut to a maximum of three months.

That would allow Ferdinand to finish the season with United and play for England at Euro 2004.

He has already served almost two months of his ban, which he began on January 20, and has missed 10 United games.

Ferdinand opted to start it while waiting for the appeal in the hope of playing in Portugal.

When The Sun first revealed Ferdinand wanted a hair test taken, an FA insider said: “He has never been accused of taking drugs. But missing a test is just as bad as failing one.”His legal team do not agree. And there is also an irony in the fact Mark Gaye, acting for the FA in the case against Ferdinand, is the same man who has just got tennis star Greg Rusedski off his drug rap.

Ferdinand admits it would be a race against time to be ready for England if his ban was cut.

He said: “It doesn’t matter how fit you are when you are running around the training ground. Games are totally different.

“No matter what anyone says, it will take me a good few weeks and a few games to get match fit again.

“We will have to see how the appeal goes.

“People may think I’m having a holiday. I’m not. I’m working to stay fit.”

Ferdinand was sat in the stands as United were dumped out of the Champions League by Porto on Tuesday night.

And his inability to help the cause is clearly getting to him.

He added: “My present situation is very disappointing and immensely frustrating. I’m going through the roof, just like any fan.”

United have kept only one clean sheet in Ferdinand’s absence — against Third Division Northampton in the FA Cup.

Link

Looks like all he is guilty of is having a bad memory and is not a druggie after all .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well considering he was banned for missing the drugs test I don't see how they can cut back the ban. I mean he was wansn't banned for taking the drugs. I realise the ban is harsh and he was made an example of but I don't see them going back on their decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by jonno
    Well considering he was banned for missing the drugs test I don't see how they can cut back the ban. I mean he was wansn't banned for taking the drugs. I realise the ban is harsh and he was made an example of but I don't see them going back on their decision.

naw as much as i hope they would the results are irelevant in this case.

they didn't ban him for taken drugs so the fact he proved he didn't

pointless really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Rio was suspended because he missed the drugs test, not that he took drugs as rightly stated by the FA

the 8 month ban was harsh i admit but still doesnt excuse him missing the test!
    cant see the FA backing down on this really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Pitty he didn't go to so much effort in the first place!!.

I gather he does realise the ban was for FAILING TO TAKE A TEST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by irish1
    Pitty he didn't go to so much effort in the first place!!.

rio's easliy confused.

who knows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by irish1

He has probably forgotten.;)

sont expect it to alter anything but a least he is clear of taking drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

that test only proves for the length of time it takes to grow that length of hair. I reckon there's less than 6 months worth of growth on that noggin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hair follicle tests cover most recreationel drugs but only cover SOME performance enhancing drugs , so Rio may not be as innocent as yee think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement