Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am now permanantly banned from the soccer forum for this incident.

Options
  • 12-03-2004 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I was using the soccer forum for the past couple of weeks and came across a character called Jank.

I took note of this guy that at some point in time, he will try get a rise out of me as he gives that tone through his posts.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he had a go at me one day http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1461195#post1461195

and I had not even said anything to him.

So instead of replying to him in that thread, I took it to pm as it seemed sensible and I told him what I thought of him, the dribble that comes out of his mouth and the fact I have to look at his ugly mug after that dribble.

I DID NOT say this in the thread as I did not want to give in to his pressure of starting a flame war with me.

Now I am premanantly banned from soccer.

Is this fair in your opinion Admins? If it is, you shall not hear any more complaint out of me.

Please remember this was in a pm, not in a thread as I DIDN'T want to ruin a good thread.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Right.

If the person who you sent that PM to asks me to investigate and it turns out that it was even half as abusive as I've been led to believe, then can you give me one good reason why that sort of behaviour should be tolerated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Originally posted by ecksor
    Right.

If the person who you sent that PM to asks me to investigate and it turns out that it was even half as abusive as I've been led to believe, then can you give me one good reason why that sort of behaviour should be tolerated?

Ok I admit if this was in a public forum where I said that. I would have no complaints for the position I am now in.

But I was a bigger man and took it to pm. What he said to me was off topic dribble, had nothing at all to do with him and he was clearly looking for a flame war by saying it to me.

I bit my tongue, and then decided to pm him telling him that. He was provoking me and has been since I posted.

I didn't bring it to the public domain, I pm'd him. He was obviously offended and told a moderator about it. I bet he didn't mention the fact how he was trying to get me to flame him back every time he dribbles.

I was annoyed. I wanted him to know that and I did by telling him exactly how I felt.

Now I am banned. Is this fair?

I don't think you understand your position.

We're arguing now about whether it would be unfair to ban you from the site for PMing other members purely to abuse them.

Oh I don't know guys that is up to you. I am banned from soccer for good now. That is not fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Post up what you Pm`ed Jank with, also i noticed some unfair comments towards Jank from you, regarding his sig.

So post what you said to him, and let the people decide

I will leave it up to admins on what to do. If they agree with you, then I will.

Sure, why not.

Jank said quote:and you wonder why people call you a .......well lets not go down that road

Get your ugly little self and jump off a cliff if your going to keep provoking me to flame you. Thank god for mozilla firefox to block your ugly little self and your cock loving signature off my screen because if i have to look at what you say followed by your retarded looking face, I will kill myself.

Thank you and **** off.

He has provoked me previously, but I can not remember what thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i understand that the abusive PM stems from stuff said on the soccer board but since he never did anything wrong on there why should he be banned from soccer?

If anything he should be banned from boards.ie completely for abusive PMs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

does that above seem justified, i was really pissed off with that
    Just because you pm'd me doesnt mean the same standards on boards.ie dont apply(pm's are actually more personal as they are directed only at one person), so i reported you and let the mod/admins take care of it,if they felt that a permanent ban from soccer was in order then fair enough
    some could feel that you should be banned from boards.ie altogether, however it is not my place to dish out punnishment (nor did i ask for it as the mod/admin whom i reported it to can prove)

Whatever. It is in the past. I am just proud of myself for being the bigger man to take it to pm. *sigh*

I will accept what is given. I just think it is extremely unfair.

Regardless of the situation thats not on, Michelangelo. Is that how you deal with stuff, with a barage of personal insults.

The ban seems fair, maybe even leniant

I was really annoyed with what he was saying to me. So I wanted him to know that I didn't appreciate his sly little remarks directed towards me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Get your ugly little self and jump off a cliff if your going to keep provoking me to flame you. Thank god for mozilla firefox to block your ugly little self and your cock loving signature off my screen because if i have to look at what you say followed by your retarded looking face, I will kill myself.

Thank you and **** off.

You went crying to a mod over that !!!??!!

"HE ABUSED MEEEEE"!!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I think its part of the Terms and Conditions of this website that you are not allowed to dish out that kind of personal insult.

Its possibly a sitewide banning offense but everyone deserves a second chance, so if this is the first time being highlighted to the admins maybe a warning would be enough.

The soccer mods obviously felt you did not deserve to be allowed to take part in the soccer forum after that abuse. Thats their judgement. Answer me this though, were you on their radar before for misbehaving ?

Not that I know of.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'd warrent a guess at "yes" you were on the radar.

I'd certainly noticed a high NOISE:signal ratio anyway.

PM abuse is about as tolerable as abusive e-mails. In the context of the board scommunity its unsolicited abuse and harassment imho.

If you wer eth ebigger man, you would have just put jank on ignore, slyly abusing him in private where you think YOU won't get into trouble, isn't being the bigger man, its just being sneaky.

I think you got off lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

the lad made a mistake by pming yer man.. cant he be let off with a warning

im a regular reader of the soccer forum, but not so regular poster and IMO i dont think he should be banned from the entire forum as his posts.... to me always seemed respectable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Michelangelo,

Seems to me that you have become a victim of misunderstanding and assuming that a PM message is meant to be 'Private', I assumed the same thing in the past and soon discovered that a PM is anything but private.

You naturally sent the PM to 'jank' in an attempt too privately express the fact that you were upset with him. Imho not a major deliberate public offence, until 'jank' upped the stakes and reported it too a Moderator. Who reacted as he saw fit.

For what it's worth. I sincerely believe that you should 'not' have been totally banned. Without at least getting some sort of a warning from the Moderator, and I consider 'janks' reporting you too the Moderator for what I have read in your PM as an over reaction on his part.

Just my 2cs worth. Not that I expect anyone to pay much attention to my opinion.

Good luck.

P. :ninja:

• Advertisement

I'd warrent a guess at "yes" you were on the radar.

Why is that? I never abused anyone on the boards. I never started fights and I most certainly never EVER encouraged people to flame me and yet I am banned from soccer for life?

Does nobody else think this just is not fair?

Sure I could go create another account and whatnot but it is the principle of it all.

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Michelangelo,

Seems to me that you have become a victim of misunderstanding and assuming that a PM message is meant to be 'Private', I assumed the same thing in the past and soon discovered that a PM is anything but private.

You naturally sent the PM to 'jank' in an attempt too privately express the fact that you were upset with him. Imho not a major deliberate public offence, until 'jank' upped the stakes and reported it too a Moderator. Who reacted as he saw fit.

For what it's worth. I sincerely believe that you should 'not' have been totally banned. Without at least getting some sort of a warning from the Moderator, and I consider 'janks' reporting you too the Moderator for what I have read in your PM as an over reaction on his part.

Just my 2cs worth. Not that I expect anyone to pay much attention to my opinion.

Good luck.

Cheers Paddy20. Does not look as if i can win. If i had told Jank on the board in a polite manner to stop bugging me, he would have no doubt kept it up demanding answers out of me causing the entire thread to go ridiculously off topic and then have it closed with me and/or jank getting a ban. Mods would have come along telling me that it was off topic dribble. What is even worse is I reported his post to the Mods. Nothing was done about it.

Originally posted by Michelangelo
    Sure I could go create another account and whatnot but it is the principle of it all.
    Tis frowned upon is that, against rules as well i think.

Personally i just think you have a touch of the noobyness, which might ware off after a while, play nice and you`ll be allowed back in.

Do you have any remorse for you`ve done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i don't think you should have been banned from soccer at all either.

pm was a bit harsh imo, but if the reason for the banning was the pm then i would have thought you would be banned from the boards in general for abusive pm'ing not just the soccer forum.

and i would have thought you'd get a warning first before a permanent ban on boards.

data

Originally posted by bazH
    Tis frowned upon is that, against rules as well i think.

Personally i just think you have a touch of the noobyness, which might ware off after a while, play nice and you`ll be allowed back in.

Do you have any remorse for you`ve done?

Ye. I should have just told him to f uck off in the thread instead of a pm.

I don't know. :confused:

EDIT: This was sarcasm.

sigh, you`re doing yourself no favours

you dont have to tell anyone to **** off

grow up!

That was sarcasm. Hence the I dont know followed by a confused face.

I do not know what you want me to say.

I mean, I don't feel guilty for sending him that pm. I feel bad about the consequences because I am permanantly banned from soccer. How should I feel guilty for him when he started it, I told him how I felt with him and now I am banned because of it?

Seems to me that the mods who did it should feel guilty for banning me. But obviously not the case.

I mean, there is not that much to offer a 20 year old male whose main interests are in the football/fitness/games/technology forums when I am now banned from football for life. Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Michelangelo,

I have only just noticed that you have only been registered on Boards.ie since February 2004.

Very understandable that you are a bit over-anxious and really believe that you are 'banned for life' from the soccer forum, especially if that is one of your main interests.

However, I doubt that the moderators will leave you out in the cold for that long ;) .

Things have in my experience on Boards.ie. A way of working themselves out given a little patience and time.

Try relaxing for a day or two, and maybe you will find that things are not as black as they look at this moment.

Who knows. You might be given a little slack as you are new.

Be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry to see you were banned Michaelangelo. I don't condone the PM as i have complained in the past about abusive PM,s from a user but that user got a warning and was not banned for that offence. Why the different punishment this time?

I have also had same problems as youself but decided the best policy was just to ignore him. I know it hard at times to do this when people are posting directly at you using quotes from your posts but it is the best policy.

Have you contacted the mod that banned you stating your case and giving an undertaking not to repeat it. Your punishment seems harsh to me as you are a new user and made an error of judgement but for the right reasons. I would have thought that a warning would have sufficed under these circumstances.

Best of luck with the appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pa redcorn come quick! theres a fighting and a feudinggoing on at the soccer forum. * duelling banjos reverb in the background*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement