Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldstyle Lan?

Options
  • 16-07-2001 8:51pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I posted this before I copped on and read the whole thread... I thought it was a suggestion to have a big lan thing again (ala Quakapalooza)

Which got me thinking... if we could answer these questions, we could do it again...

DeV.

quote:
    Originally posted by Zero:
    Dev, u putting CG together for this? Or Team SPin or whatever, cmon, and I dont care if you're busy, remember that feeling of watching an INC guy explode and you'll realize its more important than your company making a profit, and u know it.

OMG hahah thats funny.

The truth is, I could be tempted.

I miss the old lans etc but theres SOOO many questions.

1. Where?

Someones gaff?
    Ask MP. We nearly blew his house up with 15-20 comps...

Self-Service hall?
    They need a really serious mains. Those places cost a fair bit.

Netcafe?
    They lose cash to do it... serious cash, and noone is ever happy with their computers. Mind you for an "over-nighter" its doable.

The best solution is (dont laugh) a community hall... usually cheap and decent space/power. If you know of one near you, ask them!

2. When? This sort of thing needs a good run up to it. I cant see us getting it together before Sept from a standing-start.

3. Who? People are notoriously bad at paying/turning up. I've been toying with an idea of selling "tickets" on Ebay to get the cash in easier so that if some tosser wakes up and decides he doesnt like the weather, we're not out of pocket.
    We'd have to invite the CS'ers... it'd be rude not to.

4. By whom? Seriously, I dont have half the time I used to have in my life. What I do have the monster that IS boards.ie eats. Who's gonna help me run it (I know the usual reliables will help so this is the easiest question...)

5. How much? say 100 people (60 machines). 20 quid each, thats 2,000 which isnt a huge amount of cash to get a good 2-3 day event out of.

Thoughts?

DeVore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Would be nice to have a big lan again (even if the last non-trinity one I was at was FTI).. those of us without ISDN are pretty much left out of online stuff these days..

Just on one of your questions, I think it could actually be a pretty big event if CS ppl were brought along as well (quake ppl being somewhat more apathetic these days).

As you said I don't think getting a few ppl together to organise something is the problem, more a case of venue as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

yeah, This is soo funny smile.gif

Right, Ill answer in order -
    1) A hall. It need to be somewhere we can jam for 24hours non-stop without interuptions. I think a community hall is probably the best idea.

2) September is good. We could have it up and running well in time

3) Quakers/CS'ers, I dont mind. If the places are limited, it may have to be a first come first server basis.

4) I'll do it with you tom. The usual crew will help, you know you can count on that.

5) Most halls is gonna cost us a fair few quid. 20-30 quid is reasonable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, we're having a BYOPC LAN here in Galway weekend after next. Sorry but it's full (only 26 places) frown.gif

However, I'd love to see another one QP style. A community hall somewhere is definitly a good idea - as Tom said cheap and has power. I'm thinking you'd probably want it in Dublin, so I can't help with a suggestion. I do know of 2 in Castlebar (both big sports halls - one attached to my old secondary school), but I'm sure none of you Dublin ponces would be bothered crossing the Shannon and we don't want ye tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif
    That said, you could rent out a private bus and load everyone up and carefully store the machines in the boot (wrapped in sleeping bags or whatever).
    Anyway, if someone wants, I'll talk to them, but I'm sure it's a measure of last resort.

As for a time...
    Well, September is back to school, maybe the October Bank Holiday weekend? I know that's probably clashing with Gaelcon, but it's definitly a good weekend to have it and it gives loads of time for us to organise it and score sponsors etc.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mmmmmm a big Lan yes please. I'd love to be involved. I can supply 2 systems to be used as servers, 1 is a PP180 with 96MB's running 95 ideal for Quake1 and the other is a PII 450 with 384MB's of RAM running W2K can be used for UT whatever. You already have my Hub smile.gif (Which I will collect someday honest!)

Man I'm off to the UK on the August Ban Holiday Weekend for my Clans UT:TO Lan, nothing like a nice low ping !

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Sounds like a class IDea,As Kharn says october would be a good time to have it, its not quite so study study time for ppl in LC \and well those Collage p3ons would be ok for the day methinks, it also allows allot of time for arrangement, the Galway lan idea Sprouted ages ago but only began to develope when some1 ubb3r l33t like Kharn Dedicated himself, if he hadnt of gotten involved it would still only be an idea......as for power well u really need to know wheater or not a community centre can handle enough, 6 sockets can supply enough power for say upto 15 machines( 13 to be safe) you really need an electrician to sort it out as 60 Machines all running for 5mins and then nothing is quite annoying i would think......

If worst comes to worst Ya can always host it in the same place as the Galway Lan,Me Da's ubb3r l33t 20 bedrooms brothel/Hotel,
    We run FAS courses (computer ones) and he recently got 2 rooms equiped with enough power for 25 machine (1 room) and almost 30 in the downstairs room but we also have a 3rd room that isnt equipped but could handle about 13 machines, I'll talk to him and ask him if he can have it equipped cause if more of these lans Take place (like Galway one) then he will be only happy to do it...

any I'll talk to yaz l8er, have to get off the net cause Fax is coming through

• Advertisement

You mentioned a comunity hall,as i told some of you before.My man and Dad run a community hall.I will see if i can get prices for you if you like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

dre comes out, congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

sounds kewl, galway lan 2 methinks...

The kids violated my honey

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

just realised, i'll be doin me lc frown.gif

sh1+

The kids violated my honey

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

LMAO pld bunny biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dre, go for it, get me prices for a weekend including access on Friday.

MP, good ideas. Lets team up (I sure as **** dont want to do this on me own!)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

A big uninterrupted lan like FTI would be class. I won't be here for september, so hopefully its on in october. smile.gif

Im currently waiting on a reply on price .I also think tickets on Ebay or Ebid is the way to go with this too. Ebid is Irish smile.gif

Dre as in (i can beat koopa) Dray,

Your the man with the connection with a hall. Can you find out how much it would be for us to hire the hall from Friday 8pm - till Sunday 6pm?

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

as missing out on the big lans of yore due to either
    A) me being to young
    b) hobbes bein stingy
    C) me bein grounded

i would like to help and take part in any way biggrin.gif

Well I know u all might not want it but I would be happy to help in any way I can so If u want me help I will smile.gif

MP !
    I have an enquirey in for a price.Starting at 6pm on friday till 11:30 .Saturday 8am till 11:30 .Sunday is a problem though.The mountain of fire (african Church) are on every sunday.Im currently trying to work around that though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

I would be up for this - I could supply 3 450mhz with cs and quake 1 installed.
    Maybe you'll find out what nick I used to use for quake too tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Lets be honest about it...I know nothing about Quake but...

DNC are willing to help you guys out..maybe loan you a server or whatever.

www.doesnotcompute.ie
    www.gamire.com
    www.clandnc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DMX

if ye were 2 setup in a community hall it would be easy and if ye did it ina remote town it would be even better cuz there would be old people and they would be amazed and astonished at the thought of these young'uns with computers and they would want it on da news and papers and stuff and then its free puplicity 2.

cool.gif>DMX< cool.gif

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

we're waiting to see price on a hall (Dre's)

More news as we get it.

DeV.

*Bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fisty:
    I would be up for this - I could supply 3 450mhz with cs and quake 1 installed.
    Maybe you'll find out what nick I used to use for quake too tongue.gif
    </font>
    Mr Bond. what do I win?

I am about 80% certain that i have sunday now aswell 8 in the morning till 8 at night .I will have a price in a couple of days.Also i need MP or Dev to take a look at the place to see if can plan out the Floor .

Sounds good Dre,

When can we meet yah? Drop me and dev a mail and we'll arrange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Showing interest

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

Indeed - I'm getting all tingly!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

Yup Dre, can do. Liase with myself and MP, this is going to be a joint (!) effort between us... hopefully not too many joints before we have to network stuff smile.gif

Good work lad!

DeV.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    Yup Dre, can do. Liase with myself and MP, this is going to be a joint (!) effort between us... hopefully not too many joints before we have to network stuff smile.gif
    DeV.
    </font>

But plenty during and after and we'll watch you die again Tom tongue.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)

• Advertisement

considering I showed you lightweights how to do yogurts tongue.gif

DeV.

ps: Zero rolls big nappies...

Advertisement