Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you got any Irish in you?

• 12-03-2004 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Ireland manager Brian Kerr wants new players

Irish eyes will not be smiling this summer when UEFA EURO 2004™ kicks off without the presence of the Republic of Ireland who failed to qualify for the tournament. So the Irish are exploring all avenues in a bid to find new players to give them a better chance of reaching the 2006 FIFA World Cup finals.

New rules
    Manager Brian Kerr and the Football Association of Ireland are looking to take advantage of a change in FIFA's rules on international eligibility which could allow some players to change allegiance and play for another country having already played international football at underage level for someone else.

Brian McBride: a United States player with an Irish surname

Further afield
    Kerr is also keen to spread Ireland's scouting network beyond the normal sources of talent in Ireland and the United Kingdom, to look for young players in the United States and Australia who have Irish heritage and are eligible - and good enough - to represent the Republic.

Second nationality
    FIFA has recently made a rule change which allows players to make one 'change' from country to country in their career, provided that they have not played senior international football for the first country, and as long as they hold citizenship of the second nation they decide to play for.

Macken example
    Jon Macken played for England just once, at the FIFA World Youth Championship in Malaysia in 1997, but after failing to break into the senior national side, the striker, who cost Manchester City FC €7.4m in 2002, says he is interested in playing for Ireland as he qualifies through his parents.

Possible convert
    "I played for England at Under-20 level which I thought ruled me out, but I guess the qualification criteria has been changed," said Macken. "If the chance to play international football came along I would have to take it seriously. As a professional you always want to test yourself against the best."

Nolan option
    Kevin Nolan has scored ten goals from midfield for Bolton Wanderers FC this season. He was named in an Irish Under-18 squad by the then manager Kerr in 2000 but withdrew and played for England's Under-19s a month later. He is also eligible for Ireland by parentage.

'Big decision'
    Nolan said: "I've heard stories about me playing for Ireland but nothing official. Maybe I'll have to sit down with the manager and my family and make a big decision. Ireland have got a lot of great midfielders so they might not want me anyway."

Small pool
    Kerr has always stressed that, with only 35 players eligible for the Republic playing first-team football in England and Scotland's top two divisions, his pool of talent is very small and that he will explore all avenues to find players.

Irish heritage
    That could lead to the United States, where 44 million people claim Irish heritage. In the recent past players with Irish surnames like O'Brien, Donovan, McBride and Cullen have all played internationally for the US.

We've talked about setting up a base in America to investigate players over there

Brian Kerr

American base
    "We've talked about setting up a base in America to investigate players over there, having some place where American players can come in and let us have a look at them," said Kerr, doubtless aware that players with Irish names such as Carroll and Cronin are playing for the highly-rated US youth teams.

Footballing future
    Where Ireland lead, others may follow. The descendents of ex-pats and émigrés to the new world could yet play a major part in the future of European football.

http://www.uefa.com/magazine/news/Kind=128/newsId=148898.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Was Cascarino?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

eirebhoy...you the same bloke that postes on Liverpoo .TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Dub13
    eirebhoy...you the same bloke that postes on Liverpoo .TV
    no :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

As Phil Lynott once said...Girls have you got any irish in you?...Would you like a bit more Irish in you?:D :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Haha... that's exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should change that damn rule to say that you must have played either schoolboy or at some level with the countries FA(I) to qualify for the country.
    At least then the future players of Ireland would be able to find it on a map.

Damn grandfather rule :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

the irish team will end up with players playing on grounds similar to the entrants of the rose of tralee, their great-grandfather drinking a pint of guiness in an irish pub in timbuktoo!!!!

Advertisement