Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland next?

Options
  • 12-03-2004 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

In light of the bombings yesterday in Madrid do you think we are next to be attacked if the attackers were Al-queda?, If they were and the motive being that they sent a hospital ship to Iraq surely theres a chance we're a possible target having allowed Shannon to be used for Troop movements and the big support we (Our Taoiseach) gives to America.
    Your opions please.

Do you think Ireland might be attacked by al-queda? 21 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At a guess..........NO!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

In my opinion, if you play with fire expect to get burned.

I'm a firm believer in "don't get involved in someone elses fight".

I think we are just asking for this kind of retaliation if we side with George Dubya Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

FF were basically saying "bomb us please" to Al-Qaeda by siding with the USA and Britain.
    Hopefully this won't sit too well with them at the next general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I would reckon that on the whole global view of things and the big war of the west Vs. East, we are rated on the scale somewhere between "insignificant" and "who".

I think the whole "should we worry" attitude is like the little kid who wants to be considered a hardened criminal because he hangs out with the dodgy mafioso types.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by syke
    I would reckon that on the whole global view of things and the big war of the west Vs. East, we are rated on the scale somewhere between "insignificant" and "who".

I think the whole "should we worry" attitude is like the little kid who wants to be considered a hardened criminal because he hangs out with the dodgy mafioso types.
    Spot on. It's almost egotistical to think that we'd even register in the grand scale of things. Firstly, of course, there's no proof this was an Al Qaeda operation. Secondly, I can far more interesting targets after Madrid (if it were Al Qaeda) than us lot. Sleep safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That the attack happened 911 days after 9/11 is significant, but no proof as someone could just be out to blame someone else (or not!) in the short term.

Are we next? I don't think so. Bigger fish to be caught and all that. Are we possible targets? Yes. We are westerners and seen to be siding with the Americans over the last few years, loosing our Arab-friendly status. At the same time, this is a largely Catholic country that has a history of anti-imperialism, which may have some saving grace.

Can I suggest heightened security for 911th and 1007th days after the attacks on Afghanistan? And of course Mayday provides a wonderful target. and the anniversary of the invasion of Iraq is 20th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From what I've seen and read I have come to the conclusion that Al-Qaeda most probably aren't sheep harassers.

There are many, many more significant and iconic targets in western europe alone than the entirety of Ireland. Think the London tube, the Eiffel tower, the Brandenburg gate, the European parliament... I could go on for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya but we have what no other European state has!

A giant over grown shiny telegraph pole with a light on top of it........Honestly now what self respecting terrorist wouldn’t want to take that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 willywanka

Anyone who thinks 9-11 was the work of Al-Queda is living in a cloud of lies, living of propaganda spun by NSA and the american government...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Was madrid the work of an Al-Quaeda cell? Noone knows. It's not very likely given what we now know though - the source now saying it was Al-Quaeda also claimed that the US blackouts were a terrorist act (they weren't) and to have Osama Bin Laden's diaries and a few other hoax stories. Reliable they ain't...

If it was, is there a list of EU targets? Probably, but I doubt it's that organised. Suicide bombers generally don't need databases, to-do lists and filing.

If there is a list, are we on it? Yes.

If we're on it, are we next? Probably not. We may have the EU presidency at the moment, a major airport in current use by the USAF and very low levels of security compared with, say, the UK or France - but other targets would be easier and would allow for more news coverage. You'd have to bomb several centres of population in Dublin, say, to get the same coverage. Mind you, the Paddy's day parade would be perfect. A few backpacks in O'Connell street, set off as the parade is passing, and you'd make every single news story round the world that night.
    I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i hope to god your joking..... right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

haha! This made me laugh! Somehow, I don't think we're at the top of Ossama's list!

The chances of an individual being a victim of a terrorist attack are nearly zero anyway, despite what the hype in some of the newspapers would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah, I think were well down the list - given all the western states who have actually sent troops to help in Iraq, as well as the treacherous ( from Bin Ladens pov ) Middle East States which have provided far, far, more concrete and public assistance to the "crusaders" I think were a bit down the list. If were even on it.

Originally posted by Sand
    I think were a bit down the list. If were even on it.

Thing is, that's not a justified belief. Consider the following:

Shannon is currently quite important to US logistics in shipping men and equipment from the US to Europe and beyond, and it's in regular use at the moment.

Bush is coming here for a summit talk.

We hold the EU presidency and are arguably one of the softest targets in the EU right now.

We've got a major event with lots of people crowded in a public space under the eyes of the cameras coming up, at a time when Bertie will be off visiting Bush.

Basicly, if you wanted to cause the most mayhem with the least effort, a few backpack bombs on O'Connell street during the parade would pretty much be the optimal solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by daveirl
    Yeah how dare we stand against terrorism. Personally I think we should have assisted the Taleban in Afghanistan.
    We should stop supporting women's rights and secularism in the Muslim world as well, we wouldn't want to risk getting on Osama's wrong side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Gearoid

Shannon is currently quite important to US logistics in shipping men and equipment from the US to Europe and beyond, and it's in regular use at the moment.
    Bush is coming here for a summit talk.
    We hold the EU presidency and are arguably one of the softest targets in the EU right now.
    We've got a major event with lots of people crowded in a public space under the eyes of the cameras coming up, at a time when Bertie will be off visiting Bush.

I have to agree here, the above points were in my head the last 2 days and made me start the thread.
    Look at the Madrid bombings, the spanish weren't the biggest prestige targets all they did was get Behind Bush and send out a hospital ship, so assuming it was an arab group who bombed Madrid they probably did so because the US and the UK really have their guard up against ppl like that gettting in, and then if u look at us well we don't have anything near Uk or US resources and really are a soft target.
    These fanatics won't wait til they can get New York, they will get ANY western target or it's allies (look at Turkey bombings and Bali) wherever there are westeners basically.
    Not saying it's time to panic and go live up the Wicklow mountains but it IS a possibility because we're a soft target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 willywanka

I think we are a target for one reason or another. Be Shannon, Bush, EU presidency, close links to US and UK or whatever Al Quida have us penciled in for something.

Israel and America started this whole 9-11 thing off, they needed another cold war type war for the next 30 years and they got one. Those hijackers were helped by the US and Israel. Why should we pay with lives in order to keep jobs for their militaries. Bertie Ahern has to pull the plug on this US visit and call the whole thing off, for our own sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by David-[RLD]-
    FF were basically saying "bomb us please" to Al-Qaeda by siding with the USA and Britain.
    Hopefully this won't sit too well with them at the next general election.

Where did FF chnage policy with regard to the use of Shannon airport??

They didn't.

Spain was attached. This was an attack on an EU member and it will require a common EU response.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cork
    Where did FF chnage policy with regard to the use of Shannon airport??
    They didn't.

statement edited to read:
    I cannot believe that you want us to accept that policy has not changed, despite the findings of Horgan v State , which have been pointed out to you several times, and which you have never once even addressed. But I guess you think that we should just accept your blindly-offered assurances over the reasoned findings of the highest Court in the land.

It has been proven in the High Court in Horgan v. State that the government went against fifty years of government policy in it's behaviour with the US and Shannon. It's a matter of record and not up for debate anymore!
    Spain was attached. This was an attack on an EU member and it will require a common EU response.
    Spain wasn't attacked. Just over a thousand people sitting in a train station were attacked. You start off down this "common EU response" malarky and we all know where it ends - an EU version of the patriot acts.
    No thanks. We're smarter than the US (I hope) - we know that that road is the goal of the people planning these bombings.

Originally posted by willywanka
    Israel and America started this whole 9-11 thing off, they needed another cold war type war for the next 30 years and they got one. Those hijackers were helped by the US and Israel. Why should we pay with lives in order to keep jobs for their militaries.

Blah Blah Blah....:rolleyes:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Cork
    This was an attack on an EU member and it will require a common EU response.

Perhaps, but what would you propose?

Another war which - due to the European's comparative power will be even less successful than the US' campaign in terms of curbing terrorism?

Or perhaps that we just modify our entire lifestyles to live in fear of what might happem?

Or...I know...lets watch the train systems more closely. After all, we did that to the airports and look how successful that was.....a train-network was bombed.

What happened was disgusting and a tragedy, but if we're going to learn anything this time around it should be that knee-jerk reactions do not make the world safer.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Yeah, I think were well down the list
    Considering we provided the logistics for the killing of 8-10,000 innocent people in Iraq, how far up or how far down the list is irrelevant. As a matter of fact our naivety when dealing with uncontrolled immigration and our general obliviousness to the mindset of these groups in our midst make us slightly higher up the list as an easy option. The people who provided the logistics to Bush: Biffo, Harney and Ahearn will be ok though.
    ways to defeat madtowel heads:

1. Keep the pressure on Al Quieda and its subsidiaries worldwide.
    2. Give Israel and ultimatum to leave the occupied territories or face sanctions.
    3. Internationalise the Chechnya situation and get Russia out.
    4. Bush out of the Whitehouse.....quick...and Blair with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No I don't think we will be attacked, even if we are and they blow up twice as many people as they did in spain im still more likely to be killed on the roads and so is everyone else, terrorism is a non issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Spain wasn't attacked. Just over a thousand people sitting in a train station were attacked. You start off down this "common EU response" malarky and we all know where it ends - an EU version of the patriot acts.

I don't know whether Ireland is high or low on Al Qaeda's list, and still less what the EU's reaction ought to be (though as a Spaniard at least I would be grateful for a little more sympathy and a little less "we had it coming"--not referring to you, just a general impression I am gathering these days), but considering that these over 1500 people who were attacked were not individually chosen targets, and all the "wrong" they did was to get on a train, I would indeed assume that it was an attack aimed at the country in general (which is also what separates a terrorist attack from other sorts of killing). I think it is a bad idea to cultivate a security paranoia over terrorist attacks, but neither would I favour the attitude that since it is not likely to happen to me, why worry or do anything... even if I may never be hurt on a car crash, it doesn't mean I should not support road safety policies.

I don't know if you have ever heard that Brecht poem, which says something like, "first they took black people, but I didn't care because I wasn't black; then they took the jews, but I didn't care because I wasn't a jew; after that they arrested the priests, but I am not a religious person so I didn't care either; then they arrested the communists, but since I am not a communist, I didn't care either; now they are coming to take me, but it is too late."

Bottom line, I think that whether Al Qaeda has Ireland on the list or not (and I don't think it takes much to be on it, Iraq is a big fat despicable excuse for Bush as well as for Al Qaeda), it is much better not to get too snug and comfortable at the thought that if you don't rock the boat you won't get wet. That doesn't bring us any closer to a solution, rather the opposite....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

I think the only possibility of a Madrid here would be due to ignorance on the Islamists (or whomever they are) part. It is amazing the amount of people who still consider this country to be part of the "British Isles." Robert Fisk, who is probably the best reporter on terrorism these days said on radio here a few months ago that most of them wouldn't even know where Ireland was though.

Martarg, my point was not "oh, it wasn't us, it doesn't matter" - it was that it's not acceptable to go down the US route of "it's an attack on democracy and to fight it we need to make just a few small changes to our lives for the purpose of security - so from now on the cops can tap your phone, kidnap you from anywhere, intern you without trial or presenting charges, and don't get too used to that free speech thing". No offence was intended to anyone but Cork, and that only because he was jumping on a bandwagon that everyone else, with the exceptions of George Bush and Sky News, had the good taste to stay off.

...it is much better not to get too snug and comfortable at the thought that if you don't rock the boat you won't get wet. That doesn't bring us any closer to a solution, rather the opposite....

Well said as its the classic Irish response these days.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think its typical of the Irish physche(is that how you spell it?) to consider that Ireland would be a potential target.

First off OBL isn't an idiot, he knows what hes doing.
    Al Queda didn't bomb spain, and it'll be shown so in the near future.

They know that international support is not there for America's foreign policy, which is what OBL objections were.

If they bombed Ireland, or any other European state, they would rally the world behind America's fight againist terrorism, and they won't want to do that.

If they attack again, which they havn't done yet have they?, they'll attack America.

Advertisement