Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating OE from W98SE to W2K

Options
  • 12-03-2004 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

OK, here's my situation (and before anyone else says it - yes, I know this was not the right approach!):

I impulsively upgraded my laptop's Windows partition from 98 to 2000. As part of the upgrade, I changed from FAT32 to NTFS, and I still have all my files e.g. Word/Excel/etc - pleasant surprise, since I didn't backup (part of theh whole "impulsive" thing). However, I had a lot of data in Outlook Express under 98, and I'm wondering if I can still access that using OE in 2000.

All the folders from 98 are intact, so I really have just three questions:
    - Where does OE data live under 98?
    - Where does OE data live under 2000?
    - Will overwriting the 200 data with the 98 data work?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In OE, go to Tools >> Options >> Maintenance.
    Click on 'Store Folder' button. This is the current store for everything.
    Cant remember where the store folder is in 98 (search your HD for inbox.dbx) but it may be in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express
    Assuming you have no mails in your win2k version, change the path of the 'store folder' button to the poarent folder containing your inbox.dbx file

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Cheers kbannon - that worked out fine.

I didn't do exactly as you suggested, but once I knew what to look for - *.dbx files - I did a bit of googling and found a freeware tool called DBXtract , which extracts mail (and newsgroup) messages from DBX files. So I can keep my new W2K Inbox intact, and import the mails that I need from W98.

Many thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Drat, I didn't get to push you over to Mozilla or Phoenix (mail clients):dunno:

Still, I could always try...
    Mozilla

It is what it's.

Advertisement