Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading XP Home to Win 2K pro?

Options
  • 13-03-2004 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

ok i want to do this as home is drving me nuts!!!

thing is, i have the new system of having xp home stored in the computer (i.e. no CD's)
    and i tried to install win2k before but i was missing loads of drivers that were only compatible to xp home and so woulnt work with win2k, eg pci controllers which meant no internet/modem, and the list was endless.

so i'm asking has any1 done this successfully, if so , please god tell me what to do!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jezloki

it is possible to get 2K on your system, you will need to obtain the drivers needed, though. Figure out the components that are only compatable with XP, download the 2K compatible driver (if it exists) because you wont have a modem after!!, save it to a cd, then install 2K.

cant understand why you'd want to go back though, admittedly i never used home edition, but XP is class.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I did it last week.

I bought a new laptop that was equiped with Win XP Home. Needless to say, that install lasted about 3 minutes. There was no way I was going to be running th "special" version of TellytubbytardOS.

Downloaded the chipset drivers from Intel and installed 2k. Generally there's an "all in one" chipset driver that should cover your onboard everything. The rest can all be purloined from your hardware vendors sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Originally posted by Robbo
    TellytubbytardOS.

rofl lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

how do i find out what chipset i have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

That might be able to tell you.
    If not it's still nice to have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement