Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Joss Whedon is up to (long)

Options
  • 13-03-2004 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Sorry no url to link to coz was posted in a list.
    Joss Whedon - the Oscar and Emmy-nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel - is set to make his feature film directorial debut with the futuristic action-adventure Serenity, it was announced today by Mary Parent and Scott Stuber, vice chairmen, production, Universal Pictures.

Based on Whedon's cult hit television series Firefly (which has taken on a second life following its December 9, 2003, DVD release, winning new fans and critical praise worldwide), Serenity will continue and expand upon the adventures of the memorable characters launched in the series, who will be
    joined by new characters created expressly for the motion picture adaptation.
    Whedon will act as both screenwriter and director, with Barry Mendel (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and the upcoming Wes Anderson film, The Life Aquatic) producing and Chris Buchanan (president of Whedon's Mutant Enemy production company) and Alisa Tager (of Barry Mendel Productions) serving
    as executive producers. The Serenity cast will include such returning "Firefly" cast members as Nathan Fillion as Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds, Gina Torres as Zoe Warren, Morena Baccarin as Inara Serra, Jewel Staite as Kaylee Frye, Adam Baldwin as Jayne Cobb, Sean Maher as Dr. Simon Tam and Summer Glau as River Tam.

"We have wanted to be in business with Joss Whedon for a long time and we're incredibly excited to be working with him on his feature film directorial
    debut," stated Parent and Stuber. "Joss is a true creator, whose talent crosses all mediums. His mythic worlds are inhabited with rich, detailed and very human characters. 'Serenity' will provide him with a great opportunity to paint another larger-than-life canvas with very identifiable, real characters at the heart of the story."

Whedon - whose compelling use of character, place and dramatic development helped "Buffy" and Angel to break down genre walls and cross over into global
    hit mainstream territory - now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, "Serenity."
    He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family - squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.

When Mal takes on two new passengers - a young doctor and his unstable, telepathic sister - he gets much more than he bargained for. The pair are
    fugitives from the coalition dominating the universe, who will stop at nothing to reclaim the girl. The crew that was once used to skimming the outskirts of
    the galaxy unnoticed find themselves caught between the unstoppable military force of the Universal Alliance and the horrific, cannibalistic fury of the Reavers, savages who roam the very edge of space. Hunted by vastly different enemies, they begin to discover that the greatest danger to them may be on board
    "Serenity" herself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Most Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

YEAH!! Go Han Solo!! ..... Oh, I mean Captain Malcolm Reynolds, of course.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Commissar
    YEAH!! Go Han Solo!! ..... Oh, I mean Captain Malcolm Reynolds, of course.
    ? So 'Star Wars' invented the maverick captain did it? Beyond that one line character description, I fail to see any connection. Then again people seem to think that 'Star Wars' invented sci-fi :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Originally posted by ixoy
    Then again people seem to think that 'Star Wars' invented sci-fi :rolleyes:

That's not what I said. My point is that it's been done, many times over. There's nothing original in that summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sci-fi is that kind of genre where most generalities have already been covered. It's when you boil down to the specifics that people involved in the show get to be original. That's why you don't see anything original in the summary.

Personally I think every single episode plot I see in a sci-fi show has been done in Star Trek at one point or other, the star trek shows even copy off themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Have you watched Firefly before? Don't knock it until you have :p

Very entertaining show. Great characters and some great writing. I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway and I'm glad to hear it isn't gone forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I agree with koneko.

Yes, he has brown hair and is a captain so he must be han solo.
    Although I never say Solo kick a bounty hunter (whos hands were tied) into a inlet port of the engine. Pretty classy stuff.

No its pretty original, mixing a sci fi with a western. Not done before.

Advertisement