Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload/Download issue

• 13-03-2004 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

i have a Upload/Download issue, my pc at times seems to have a higher upload than down load! Is this right? Shouldn't the d/l be higher thab the u/l???

ran spybot, adaware and norton virus scan, they all came up with nothing!

Can someone maybe shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
    Jozi

d/l stuff from programs like soulseek wouldn't have anything to do with the high upload, its still high just browsing the web to
    have iolbb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Close off all applications (except the one you use to monitor your bandwidth)

If the high upload still exists, then you have a virus, and you need to get yourself an antivirus program. Try AVG guard at www.grisoft.com

If the high upload stops, then its one of your filesharing programs uploading information to other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

using norton anti vir,

clossed down everything, slight in crease in upload but not the d/l?

should i close the connection when doing virus scan?

yes, you should turn it off!

BUT, first i recommend you download Kerio personal firewall (http://download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf4-en-win.exe).

Then unplug your internet, install kerio and reboot. Deny EVERYTHING access to the internet when your computer restarts.

Then allow SVCHOST to make outgoing connections ONLY, and that should allow you to access the internet. Then one by one allow your programs access to the internet, such as internet explorer and norton anti-virus and update the virus definations.

I also recommend insatlling AVG after you have done the above if Norton still doesn't find the virus/trojan.

installed avg, came up with no viruses
    norton anti vir found none either
    have norton internet security as fire wall, prob should have mentioned that earlier to
    was keeping an eye on it earlier it the upload only realy increases lots if i'm downloading, would that be conciderd normal?

thanks for the response so far

what do you mean by higher upload than download?

At first i thought you meant that when your connection was "idle" (i.e. you weren't downloading) your upload was being maxed out, which would indicate a virus/trojan.

But now i think that you're just uploading a bit while downloading.

How fast are you downloading, and how fast are you uploading?

• Advertisement

i've only noticed that the up load and down load are both nearly the same when i'm downloading, when idle there are packets being send every now and then

not sure what speed i'm getting, there's a router between me and the internet so it just shows up as 100mbps, have broadband (iol) and speed does vary a bit from time to time but generally it pretty high

thanks for the reply

What program are you using to measure upload/download speeds?

And it is usual to upload a small bit when you download, generally if you download at 60kb'sec, you need to use about 2kb/sec of upload to make the download work. Basically, every time you recieve a download packet, you send a small upload one back to say its recieved.

If you download a file off a normal website, what do your upload/download stats look like? Take a screen shot if you can.

I read about the packets some where alright, would my packet sizes be wrong?

Attached a screen shot, taken after looking at 2-3 treads here on boards, a google and recieving my e-mail.

here's another

download Dumeter and run that for a while, and tell me what it says your average upload and download are.

It seems odd that you are uploading at least as much as you are downloading. But, then again, it might be perfectly ok. If DUmeter shows constant upload/download, something is up. If not, its all ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You are not actually uploading as much as you download. That is just the number of packets you have sent/recieved. Those packets are not of a fixed size, they range between 46 and 1500 bytes. Most of your traffic would use tcp which requires the reciever to acknowledge each packet it recieves. You would be recieving large packets of data and then sending back tiny packets with no data to say that you recieved the packet ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah for example today i have sent 146,120 and received 102,564 packets but i've downloaded about 50mb and only uploaded 20, i use a program called net activity diagram which i like.

data

ok i see, never really taught about what size packets are.
    well thanks anyway
    at least now i know there's nothing wrong

Advertisement