Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Network

• 13-03-2004 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I setting up a wireless network in my house.
    My pc downstairs has the netopia dsl modem/router (Eircom)

Anybody used either of these:

Network Adaptor

and

Wireless Card

Also will I get good speeds with this?
    Is it worth going for 802.11g instead of 802.11b?

All help much appreciated,

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've got a G network running with a netgear WGR614(v2) and have a laptop and a desktop connected to it. Only went for g because I had (or still have) the intention of using the desktop as a file/print server. I get decent signal all over the house. You'd be as well going with a B network tho if sharing dsl is your only objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

Sharing the DSL is definitely all I'm after. Just want to get good download speeds on both pc's really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by dubmick
    Sharing the DSL is definitely all I'm after. Just want to get good download speeds on both pc's really.

DSL operates at a fraction of the speed of the local network. So it doesn't really matter. Sharing the bandwidth between 2 pcs simultaneously might deteriorate your dl speeds, if one is hogging the b/width, the other might have to wait.

Having said that though, if you can afford it, go "G" because it's a faster protocol, and may "future-proof" you for a while.

hc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

this might seem like a really obvious question but if u have a wireless adsl router. do u need a wireless network card for each computer that u want to be able to connect to the network? or would normal ethernet cards work? ( this is the router i have )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by suppafly
    this might seem like a really obvious question but if u have a wireless adsl router. do u need a wireless network card for each computer that u want to be able to connect to the network? or would normal ethernet cards work? ( this is the router i have )

It depends on how you want to connect to the router - if you want to connect by wireless then you will need a wireless card if you are just connecting by cable then you won't that would need an ethernet card if your pc is not already equipped with one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by hughchal

Having said that though, if you can afford it, go "G" because it's a faster protocol, and may "future-proof" you for a while.

I would recommend going for a G router at least. This will mean that B and G wireless cards will work on the network, so that at the moment, you can use the cheaper B versions for the DSL sharing, and later if you want faster access on one machine, say for retrieving files etc, you can get a G card for one or 2 machines.

I just installed a D-Link DI-624 and DWL-G650 with my Zyxel ethernet modem from Clicksilver. It worked out of the box, with no configuration. I don't have much experience with networking, so I was a little apprehensive about setting it up.

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

getting back to the original topic, will the 2 products I have listed be enough for the wireless network or do I need to get a wireless router instead of the adaptor??

Cheers for the help,

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You can't just plug the modem into the adapter if that's what you were planning. The adapter is just an external wireless card, and USB needs to have drivers running on a PC.

Advertisement