Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach me to play BF1942

Options
  • 13-03-2004 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm a CS player and, a fairly competant one. There is a BF1942 tournament in my cafe with 500euros prize money. I'm signed up. One problem. I've never played the game.

I'm a good natural gamer and can usually learn to play quite fast. I just want the lowdown.

How do I play?
    What guns do I use and how do I use them. In CS I use m4 and ak best.
    Console commands too. Is there a way i can turn off the dynamic xhair like i use in cs?
    Do I adjust rates? It'll be a LAN tournament.
    Is there anything I should do that would be very helpful such as binding stopsound on de_aztec in CS?
    How do I move, how do I shoot, what do I do in certain situations.
    I just want loads of tips so I can start playing capably in a matter of a week or so with lots of practice.
    Teach me to play to win. I don't want to embarass myself as I've won a lot of CS tourneys here.
    Do I crouch to shoot? Keep moving? Do i fire in single shot bursts or fully auto?
    Give me helpful exploitations too such as helpful titbits like jump into water in cs and it wont hurt. etc etc.
    Anything you've learnt about the game, I want to know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

BF and DC are a different kettle of fish to CS.

For a start most of the fighting is done in vechicles. There are Tanks, heli's, planes etc etc.

The best way to get started is to create a lan game on your own computer and start practicing. Then create a Co_Op game and work from there. You will probably need a Joystick for flying although some people have mastered it with a mouse.

Basically dont come onto a server and sstart flying and crashing until you ahve at elast mastered it coz you'll get hounded if you do.

The Fairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

So I need to get into a vehicle as fast as possible? How do I use them. Are they all different? Is it best to be in a vehicle as much as I can?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Learn how to fly correctly.

Get in a plane and learn how to fly it, do rolls and dogfights. Learn how to bomb correctly too. In games someone who can dogfight and bomb a target with a direct hit is always needed.

Get used to getting ranges with tanks. If its 1942 your playing then you will have to get used to arching your shots in order to hit the target and not fall short. Also make sure you know the strengths and weaknesses of tanks, the arse is very weak and one good Bazooka shot can take it out. So in tank fights protect your arse and go for theirs.

Get good with sniping etc. There is never one good class really too. You will change your class depending on how the game is going etc. Usually through playing you will get to know the classes that you like and suit you best. Shooting depends a lot on what gun your using.
    Seeing as though its WW2 weapons some of them are semi automatic, automatic and single shot. Once again just practice with them all and discover the one that suits you best. Each class has its own bonus. Medic can heal you and others and has a SMG. Engineer can fix veichles, planes and boats and also has TNT ... but has a singleshot rifle. Learn the benefits of each class.

Also most importantly in Battlefield 1942... TEAMPLAY. The game is baised upon and around teamplay. If you try and go it alone you will loose, its not much fun having a big German Tiger tank roll down towards you and all you have is a Rifle and a couple of grenades.

Also, jumping into water will hurt depending on how far away the water is. If you jump out of a plane or off a VERY tall building hit 9 and use your parachute. It will save your ass.

Just play the game and learn how to use each veichle, plane, gun and ship best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

alright kold first u should do some reading on the game at www.planetbattlefield.com
    find out about it give it a go

is the tournament in battlefield or desert combat ? (a very popular mod)

if its in 1942 finish through the missions first on an average say 50 % difficulty rating
    you'll get plenty of combat experience , learn the maps and know when to do what and where

if its desert combat which id say it more likely is then all u gotta do is learn how to drive a tank decently and the key is helicopters
    spend all night practising in the choppers they're fairly easy to use but take a while to master but if u can master those then u are basically a one man army advancing on a post.

Invesnt in a joystick a good one is the logitech freedom 2.4 ghz i bought it for 80 euro - may sound steep but its well worth it trust me ull see the results once u use it for a while

any more questions im here for the day and id be glad to help ya out

Apparently, it's Battlefield. However if team captains agree, Battlefield. Not really sure what I'm getting myself into... Sounds very complex

Ooh console commands and how to use it would be very helpful too.

• Advertisement

its not as complex as it sounds just give the game a go its fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Vehicles can be a powerful ally in BF1942 but they can also be an enemy. You can't begin to understand battlefield until you have played it. Unlike Counter-Strike, battlefield relys alot of vehicles; if for anything other than to move, and to move quickly.

The size of the maps on BF are way larger than those on counter-strike. There are situations where you will need to move fast. Jeeps can be handy to quickly move through enemy flags with only soldiers guarding the flags. If you try to run through a tank field in a jeep, you will be taken out in a split second. Also make sure to watch out for anybody with a bazooka.

Unlike Counter-Strike, camping is definately not advised in Battlefield. You can be attacked from any angle and the hot-spots are usually hit, and hit frequently so it is advised to keep on the move.

The one thing I had to get used to jumping from Cs to BF1942 was the gun recoil. The feel of the recoil is alot different, or at least it felt that way to me. Be aware of the recoil of each gun in BF1942 as you would in CS.

Sniper Rifle; In the open plains and vast maps on BF1942, the sniper rifle really comes into play. It will take a while to master this. Always aim for the neck and above for a clean kill. Take into account that on BF1942 you will only have one shot, so make sure it counts. All this changes in Desert Combat, but I'm not sure if you will be playing that. If you do, you have more of a chance of getting quick succession kills with the rifle.

Knife;
    This is not Counter-Strike, do not go jumping into a group of 30 people with a knife trying to gain respect, the only thing you will gain is a hole in your head.

As previously mentioned, learn how to master the plane (and choppers if playing Desert Combat or Eve Of Destruction). If you are a good flyer, chances are you will not be killed easily and you will have a great advantage over your oponents. I find lowering the thrust over low areas of vehicles will make it alot easier to hit them. Make sure you don't lower it too much or you will drop like a stone in water.

Always keep low when you can. You stand out alot less on maps than you would on counter strike; proning can make you a hard target to hit and a harder target to find.

Also mentioned was teamwork. This really comes into play with tanks. Take into account that when you are driving a tank it takes quite a considerable amount of time to 180 so in turn, whatever is behind you, you cannot see, but they can hit you quickly and be gone by the time you turn around. Always try to have a friend man a gun on top of the tank.

Just my two cents..

Miss anything anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

kold where is this tournament anyway!?

id enter myself for that prize money
    are there teams or what?

where are ya located kold if ya need a player for a team i might be interested ive nothing better for doing anyway

Cork, teams are 4 players, 16 teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

4 players?
    How odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I used to run riot with the medic, medic can heal himself again and again.

When moving dodge left and right as much as you press forward, youl be a little slower but you'l never get hit by a sniper.

If you come across more than one enemy solder,try and work out which one has the machine gun and take them out first, the other guys with the sniper/rocket/rifles arnt a threat to you when your moving.

If your playin as the medic and you come accross a soilder with the machine gun dont try and go head to head with em. Instead run at 90degrees to them (from their view you would be running left to right or vice versa) , they will emty a clip tryin to hit you, plug em as they reload.

If your at a flag and you dont know what to do or suspect enemy forces are on the way, HIDE! Let them take the flag , when they drive away in their tanks head back and retake the flag (Hopefully a nice tank will have spawned for you by then anyway)

When approching a flag on foot(or even better a jeep) allways aproch from the side the tanks spawn at.

You exit vehicles from the left, keep that in mind so you know which way to go when you have to make a quick exit.

With the medic you run out of ammo real quick, takes nearly a full clip to take down most fellas so remember to stop by the ammo boxs every chance you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Ohh yea, make sure there's a good pilot on your team, its not nice gettin owned from the air;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Kold
    Cork, teams are 4 players, 16 teams

where in cork is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Would be better with 16 players in 4 teams.

4 players. Sure it would take ages. You need at least 8 per team to make it in any way interesting. This is no CS, you need some sort of army to back you up.

hey kold are there any vacancies
    i have got 4 here interested (ableit thats a bit too small a team)

have u got a url or anything like that
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CK

By de way every1.. there bout 4 team places left in the tournament! 1st prize= 500, 2nd=300 and 3rd is just some voucherz!! webworkhouse is next to the small mcdonalds and Ginos 4 every1 from Cork

[edit]
    CK, keep ther personal bashing out of it. If you have any beef with Kold dont take it out here. I will get mad if you do so. I suggest you take a look at the Charters before you post and also the Newbie FAQ forum.

* Winters

Advertisement