Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SE T610 Email

Options
  • 13-03-2004 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been trying to set up email access through my T610 for over a month now, but as of yet, I'm still unable to access or send email. I've email O2, received all necessary settings, tried them, to no avail. I've also used SE's own OTA for receiving email settings (http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/) but I'm still drawing a blank.

I was wondering if someone here had this phone working using email through speakeasy?

Here's a copy of all settings O2 emailed to me. All of them have been input correctly, and MMS and GPRS both work fine.

From the main menu scroll to Connectivity >_Data Comm. >_Data accounts >_New
    account.

Select GPRS Data and enter the following settings:

Name: gprs email
    APN: pp.internet
    User id: leave blank
    Password: leave blank

Select Save, again select the account just created (o2 gprs) and click Edit.

Go to Password request: Off
    Allow calls: GPRS only
    IP address: leave blank
    DNS address: 62.40.32.33

Press the Back button until you are in the main menu and select Messaging >
    E-mail >_Options >_Edit account >_New account and enter the following
    settings:

Name: o2 email
    Connect using: gprs email
    Protocol: POP3
    Incoming server: pop3.o2.ie*
    Incoming port: 110
    Mailbox: your o2.ie username (e.g. joebloggs@o2.ie)*
    Password: your o2.ie password*
    Outgoing server: smtp.o2.ie
    Outgoing port: 25
    Email address: your o2.ie mail address (e.g. joebloggs@o2.ie) *
    Download: user preference (header of the mail OR full mail download)
    From name: Your name as you would like it displayed to mail recipients
    Signature: select this if a signature is wanted (optional)
    Copy Outgoing: select this to send the emails to another account as well
    (optional)
    Check interval: select to set an interval on checking mail (optional)

To use the service go to Messaging >_E-mail.

And here are their GPRS settings:
    Speakeasy WAP over GPRS Settings for the Sony Ericsson T610

>From the main menu scroll to Connectivity >_Data Comm. >_Data accounts >_New
    account.

Select GPRS Data and enter the following settings:

Name: o2 gprs
    APN: pp.wap.o2.ie
    User id: gprs
    Password: gprs

Select Save, again select the account just created (o2 gprs) and click Edit.

Go to password request: Off
    Allow calls: GPRS only or Automatic
    IP address: leave blank
    DNS address: leave this blank

Press the Back button until you are back in the Connectivity window. Go to
    Wap options >_Wap Profiles >_New profile.

Enter the following settings:

Name: o2
    Connect using: select o2 gprs
    IP address: 192.168.090.074

Now, leaving the APN as pp.internet in data accounts does not work. I've since changed this to pp.wap.o2.ie, and it no longer gives me a "Wrong APN Name" error, but instead times out with "Finding server" .... "Server cannot be found".

I've used IP addresses to access the servers also, but I'm still presented with the same error. I'm tearing my hair out, as this shouldn't be difficult to setup. It's not as though I'm a novice :(

If anyone here on boards is using their T610's email function with SpeakEasy, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Do O2 have a different access point for speakeasy other than pp.internet? If you use pp.wap.o2.ie then it wont find the server because that access point is only for wap sites, not for pop3, smtp etc. Maybe could try using just "internet" as the access point?

I'm on bill pay so I use the access point "internet".

The only difference I've noticed from the settings you supplied and my own are that for "Allow calls" under Data Accounts I have it set to Auto, not GPRS only. Not sure what difference that will make.

The DNS address is the same as mine, maybe there are different ones you could use for speakeasy? although thats the address O2 gave you so I suppose its probably correct.

The internet access (as opposed to normal wap/picture messaging) may even be something you'd have to ask them to activate for you seperately. When I was activating my T610 for picture messaging it took about 4 phone calls before they finally activated it properly.

Hope you sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the internet APN is only for post-pay (billed) customers, pp.internet is the one for pre-pay SpeakEasy customers

however, you need to explicitly ask to be enabled for access to the pp.internet APN, unfortunately it isn't uncommon to have to request this a few times (see this recent thread for example)

you have been set-up (provisioned) by the operator for access to the APN in order to connect - calling 1740 or emailing their support AT o2.ie address (rather than regular customer care) is the best way to approach this and make the point it isn't WAP you are after but their Internet (ISP) GPRS connection mentioning pp.internet

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

I was unaware that I had to be provisioned to use pp.internet as an APN, in much the same way as MMS. Thanks very much for all your help guys! :)

Advertisement