Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation rights

Options
  • 13-03-2004 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, I'm a student living away from home at the moment but i'm moving home at the end of the month, the landlord told us we'd be paying from september to may but due to my lack of cash i'm unable to stay there anymore. I paid a months rent in advance before i moved into the house and i wish to use that advance payment to cover this months rent, but i've been told thats not the way it works, which is confusing me. Who's right and who's wrong in this situation and why ?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

so you must give one months notice and its paid for in advance. thats it.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Molly
    the landlord told us we'd be paying from september to may
    Which would seem to imply this is a 9-month lease and he might be able to demand payment for the full 9-months.
    due to my lack of cash i'm unable to stay there anymore
    Explain this to landlord.
    I paid a months rent in advance before i moved into the house
    An advance or a deposit?
    i wish to use that advance payment to cover this months rent
    Not the usual procedure. Typically you pay each month in advance and get a deposit back as you are leaving for the last time. Otherwise tenants could just trash the place in the last month and a landlord would have no recompense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I didn't think a verbal contract meant anything ?
    Not the usual procedure. Typically you pay each month in advance and get a deposit back as you are leaving for the last time. Otherwise tenants could just trash the place in the last month and a landlord would have no recompense.

He's not a typical landlord as in he shows up randomly looking for that months rent money, was supposed to be first monday of every month but he never shows up that day, and tends to show up very randomly. He also lets himself in sometimes which i was led to believe he can't do and left us cooker less for about a month aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I didn't think a verbal contract meant anything ?
    A contract doesn't even need words, if you walk into a deli and pick some salad and start eating, thats a contract. Yes of course many verbal contracts are difficult to enforce, but nonetheless they are valid.
    He also lets himself in sometimes which i was led to believe he can't do
    A bit of a no-no, what if you were walking around in the nip? You have paid your money, you are entitled to your privacy.
    left us cooker less for about a month aswell.
    Not necessarily relevent in the context.

In practice, it would take him a month to evict you anyway, but the risk is he could then bill you for his legal costs. He can not evict you without going to court first.

Advertisement