Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oriental cardcame The 5 Rings

• 14-03-2004 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Just recently caught a look at a Magic the Gathering type game
    base on ancient Oriental stuff
    Called the Five rings

Any one know of this game
    and could they supply me with more info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

ive heard of that game alright, its called "the legend of the five rings" of L5R for short. ive heard its much like MTG, except more intricate and complex, and much more clan-based. i dont know the rules, but i do know that tapping is called "bowing" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yes, its called bowing because wizards hold the patent on tapping.

L5R, hmm, I've come across it once or twice but never actually played it.

As far as I can remember there is 3 ways to win. You can reduce your opponents "honour" to 0, you can raise your "honour" to something high, 50 I think.
    Or you can kill their, 5 is it?, provinces.

Pretty cool game, very complex but very tactical as well.

You play with two decks and draw from them at different times...

Hmmm what else can I remember.

Um, there are 5 clans I think, crabs, cranes & shadows (or rat or something) is all I can remember.

Each of them have their own style of play (method of winning) from dishonouring your opponent, to increasing your honour to just beating him upside the head.

Usually you pick your clan fairly early and play with that clan for EVER! ;)

Although some just switch their clan depending on which is doing the best.

Also, something which is REALLY cool, is at competitions, they take the results of the equivalent of worlds or whatever, and design cards around it.

Like when the crab clan won some big event there last year, they made some uber powerful crab card or somesuch.

Pretty excellent idea, imho.

Anyway, excuse the incoherence, I really have no clue what I'm talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Trinity gamers run this game on tuesday nights or something. MAte of mine constantly telling me about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Yeah apparently its very, very good if you can put the time in to learn all the complicated rules...

There's something for me to do this summer...

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

That sounds pretty cool... as if Magic isn't already taking up enough of my time, now I'll have another thing to do in college... bang goes my plans to join Amnesty ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That sounds pretty friggin cool, if i wasnt so broke, i might be interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

The rules of l5r are quite poor - they contain nowhere near the level of strategic depth as magic. What the game does have is a far more intricate storyline, and the idea that players can alter it by winning competitions.

Personally, I prefer the strategic challenge of magic far more then the pseudo-role-playing of L5R

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I found picures of L5R cards in an old "Topdeck". Odd-looking, but I'm sure they're flavourful. *mutters something about new card frames and Pokémon*

Advertisement