Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guts - did anyone read it today?

Options
  • 14-03-2004 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

From Saturdays Guardian magazine

"Guts . If you thought Fight Club was shocking, Chuck Palahniuk's new short story will probably make you sick. "

Did anyone read it in the magazine today. Don't think I've ever read a warning in a magazine that says "Caution : Some may find this offensive. It is not for the squeamish of for children"

So I read it and have to say it was an extraordinary piece of writing and towards the end when the realisation dawned on what was happening to the main character I was a bit grossed out.

There's a small extract of the full story posted on the Guardian website if you want to take a peek

http://books.guardian.co.uk/extracts/story/0,6761,1168172,00.html

If you can get your hands on a copy of the mag I'd recommend it. As I say, I don't think I've ever read anything that was quite as graphic as this before.

Would be interested to get other opinions on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

yep, read it in the guardian magazine today, not a nice story at all.

didn't think it stood out as a fine piece of writing, but it definitely made an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bibliofemme

I read it online as I didn't get a chance to pick up a copy of the Guardian yesterday so I gather I got an abridged version. Nonetheless it's a powerful piece and yes, a bit shocking, but I still picked up on his brand of charcoal humour. I liked it and it wasn't too gross, more of a very in-yer-face morality tale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I read it and I thought it was totally gross. Why do people write about such things? I don't see the merit in it.

This is something I will have to blank out for weeks and weeks as gross things like this always dart into my mind when I'm eating.

Yuk!!

It was well written though, I was laughing for the first 1/3 of it. I just don't think writers should dwell on these sort of unfortunate accidents. Maybe it was written as a cautionary tale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Why shouldn't he talk about it, I think was the point. It happined and it's part of the reason he is who he is... it just so happins to be a bit taboo and not something you'd want to hear about everyday.

I thought it was very well done... after reading the first 3/4 of it you think it's pretty ****ing disgusting... but he's keeps the sh!t 'till last :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I read it on the train today and almost fainted
    took 15 mins before I felt ok

• Advertisement

I read it while eating my lunch on Saturday. I thought it was very good. I was'nt repulsed by it nor did it make me feel sick. I plan on buying the book when its published.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Personally i thought it was very well written and very funny. He is a writer with a savage dark wit that is rare these days. Although personally i didn't find it overly gruesome. Maybe thats my problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Palahniuk's a brilliant writer. Fight Club is good, Survivor is even better. Read both. Guts- what was the point of it? I didn't get it. Tho' I hadn't realised that something like that cd actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Should I be worried that I found that more funny than disgusting?

Advertisement