Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What spec?

Options
  • 14-03-2004 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

What would be the minimum spec machine I would need to be able to play battlefield?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm running it on a:
    P3 800Mhz
    640meg ram
    GF4 Ti4200
    Win2k
    And it runs fairly well at 800x600 in 16-bvit or 32-bit with average enough detail settings (I've viewdistance up at about 80%)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

well that's me ****ed any way. I've got an old horse of a pII 350mhz, 196 mb ram, 32mb tnt2 ultra. Good in its day. The only problem is that that was 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I wanted to get back into playing a few internet games. It looks like i'll have to go back to playing tfc and counter strike, if I can get the updates without having to sell my soul first

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Here are the system requirements for both Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam

Battlefield 1942
    Processor: Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon 500mhz+
    Memory: 128mb [i'd reccomend 512+]
    Hard Drive: 1.2 GB
    Graphics: 32mb with Transform & Lighting [Geforce 2+, Radeon 8500+]

Battlefield Vietnam
    Processor: Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon 933 mhz+
    Graphics: 3D accelerated GeForce3 64 Mb or equivalent
    RAM: 256MB RAM [as above i'd reccomend 512 minimum]
    Hard Drive: 1.5 GB

If you plan to get back into any sort of gaming i would advise investing in a good spec PC. You can get one or build one for pretty cheap nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

About €1100 will buy you a stomper of a rig, monitor included.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I dono what it is about mine, but I've a xp2100+ 512ddr pc2700 ram, sapphire raedon 9700pro, and 160 gig drive.. and DC runs utter ****e,
    Think I have my settings at 1152, and have all the details set on med...
    just DC seems to like to run jumpily..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thats a bit weird, does normal battlefield run alright? if so i'd just put it down to the fact that is a mod or something and not a completely polished game.

does it happen on lower resolutions also?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

bf1942 plays perfectly, eod runs fairly well...
    I think its just that DC has a lot of details and added in extra things in it,..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Originally posted by Winters

Battlefield 1942
    Processor: Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon 500mhz+
    Memory: 128mb [i'd reccomend 512+]
    Hard Drive: 1.2 GB
    Graphics: 32mb with Transform & Lighting [Geforce 2+, Radeon 8500+]

128mb might be what it says, but thats crap imo. I am in the middle of piecing together a new PC which consists of an AMD XP 2800+ Barton, XP, 40 GB and 256mb of Dual DDR, with a GF4 Ti4200, and it runs absolutely rubbish. Has to be due to the RAM because my P4 1.5GHZ with the GF4 Ti4200 and 1GB (of **** RAM, PC133 or sumthing) runs it grand! Getting a couple of PC3700 DDR 512's at the weekend, a new GFX card soon, hope to see a marked improvement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I run it on:

AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1.53GHz)
    1024MB DDR RAM
    64MB GeForce4 MX460 (Creative Labs)
    10GB Hard drive
    Windows XP Professional

It acts up every now and again with performance similar to a slow machine - jerky graphics, etc

Gonna be upgrading soon, so hopefully it should get back on track properly.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i run it on:

P4 3 Ghz
    1024mb ram
    256mb ATI 9800XT
    120GB hd
    Win XP home

runs good :)

i'd hope so.

question for ya, how much ram does battlefield use up when it has a gig available to it do you find yourself using over 513mb of ram?

cheers

data

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

I've been handed a laptop for work , it's a Compaq EVO N620c ,

I think it's fast enough and ahs 256mb ram, but I reckon it falls on its ass when it comes to the graphics card,

Can someone verify this for me , before I go out and buy a game I can't run....

Thanks in Advance

Fionn

I realy want to get into the air and kill you , so help me into the air will ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

data, I find that it seems to use about 460ish megs in total. When I had 512 megs of RAM, it could be quite painful alt+tabbing back to windows as it paged all of the other stuff back in. It was equally painful going back into it. With a gig though, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

2600+, 768 dddr, hercules profit geforce3 64mb ddr (amazing card) and 2x40 gigs, one for cs/bf and the second for downloads n movies n all that jazz. All running on a 1 meg line.

BFDC still plays crap on this machine anthough in cs i get 350 fps

theres your proof - http://members.boards.ie/red_ice/de_inferno.zip

They really need to fix the netcode and the general running about on the map. Im even playing in 640x480.

Originally posted by ssh
    data, I find that it seems to use about 460ish megs in total. When I had 512 megs of RAM, it could be quite painful alt+tabbing back to windows as it paged all of the other stuff back in. It was equally painful going back into it. With a gig though, it's fine.

cheers for that, yeah alt+tabbing kills my machine with battlefield i think i'll invest in more ram in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm running it on:

p3-s 1.4ghz
    512mb
    geforce2 gts ( clocked to 215/355 )
    win2k

The graphics card is the only problem.. I think it will run perfectly when I get a new one. ( If anyone has a geforce4 for sale, let me know ). Currently I run in 1024*768 @ 16bpp, about 60% texture detail, 80% viewdistance. Runs very well. I can run with higher detail on maps with less detail/units.
    Funnily enough, dc runs faster than plain bf1942, though bf framerate did improve with 1.6.
    I can't stress enough the importance of getting the latest nvidia drivers. updating solved loads of graphical corruption for me ( still get a little in dc, but tis manageable ), and improved fps greatly.

Advertisement