Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ericsson to build Meteor network

• 14-03-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p133.htm
    Mobile operator Meteor has chosen
    Ericsson as sole supplier of
    infrastructure for its GSM network.

The contract runs until 2008. Ericsson
    will roll out Meteor's network in two
    phases. The first is already underway.

The expansion of Meteor's network is
    designed to increase its coverage from
    the current level of around 88%,
    concentrated in the urban centres.

Meteor also wants to increase capacity
    on the network and facilitate the
    introduction of new products and
    services.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

a very interesting aspect of the news was the detail that EDGE functionality was being delivered on their network... detials from the Ericsson press release...
    Ericsson's future proof GSM network will also enable Meteor to introduce advanced high-speed multi-media services to its customers at any stage as the network will be delivered complete with EDGE functionality.

details about EDGE.

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I certainly agree. Its a useful way of improving the speed of the network while also avoiding the cost of a 3G license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Meteor Mobile Communications, is upgrading its existing 2.5G Network to EDGE throughout Ireland in 2006/07.

According to Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDGE
    Is the EDGE network live anywhere on Meteor yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

they have been planning that for a long time just because they didnt get a 3G licence
    id say its postponed for a good while if not in definetely because there trying to run of 3's 3G network like 3 run of vodafones 2.5g network

1huge1 wrote:
    they have been planning that for a long time just because they didnt get a 3G licence
    id say its postponed for a good while if not in definetely because there trying to run of 3's 3G network like 3 run of vodafones 2.5g network
    They're also trying to claim the 3G licence which was formerly owned by Smart, after Comreg revoked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

1huge1 wrote:
    On my SP5 smartphone, I suddenly today got the "E" icon in the top, which means there's Edge coverage on Meteor.. This happened around UCD and down the road to Ranelagh... But I cannot connect to any data services.. The phone gets an IP address but then it's just like a dead connection... Anyone else got Edge coverage with Meteor?

flodis79 wrote:
    On my SP5 smartphone, I suddenly today got the "E" icon in the top, which means there's Edge coverage on Meteor.. This happened around UCD and down the road to Ranelagh... But I cannot connect to any data services.. The phone gets an IP address but then it's just like a dead connection... Anyone else got Edge coverage with Meteor?
    I'd like to know this too. For me I tried using the Field Test app on my 6680 but it said "EGPRS support = 0" So there's nothing here at the moment.

Advertisement