Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cricket

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Not sure what exactly is going in in Zimb but it aint good. Surprising not more australians pulled out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The deal has been struck and signed, Ireland will host the non-test playing World Cup next year.

From: http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/APR/135733_WCI_30APR2004.html
    An ideal platform

Ireland to host ICC Trophy in 2005

Wisden Cricinfo staff

April 30, 2004

Ireland will host the ICC Trophy in 2005 which will involve 12 teams. Ehsan Mani, the ICC president, and Malcolm Speed, the chief executive, signed an agreement confirming this. The eighth edition of the tournament will be held in July 2005 and the majority of the matches will be around Belfast and Dublin. Mani and Speed visited both the cities and received a briefing on the preparations for the event.

The ICC Trophy in 2005 will have more at stake for the 12 participating nations than earlier editions. As many as five places at the next World Cup in the West Indies will be up for grabs for the competing teams.

Mani said that he was very pleased that the Irish Cricket Union (ICU) was planning to host matches in both centres. "Throughout its history, the ICU has operated as a unified body and I am delighted that matches will be staged in both the north and south of the island."

The ICU has received significant support from the clubs, provincial unions and governments, both north and south of the border, in its preparations. The ICU's chairman, Joe Doherty, was elated with the announcement and termed it as a "momentous day" in the history of cricket in Ireland. He added, "A lot of hard work has already been put in to get us this far and we now look forward to tackling the remaining stages of preparation and welcoming teams from all corners of the cricket world."

The last edition of the ICC Trophy was held in Canada in 2001 with Holland emerging champions in a tense final against Namibia. Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have all won this tournament earlier, which enhanced their chances of being granted Test status.

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Holy Cow...I initially thought the ICC Champions Tropy silly me :rolleyes:

But this is indeed great news...hopefully we get the weather for it

Ireland are playing Surrey (current no. 2 English County side) in the one-day knockout C&G Trophy....

Surrey 261
    Ireland 244/5 (46.4 ov)

Ireland require another 18 runs; Ireland have 5 wickets remaining
    Can they do it???? God, I wish I was in Clontarf right now...grrr.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/IRELAND_SURREY_C+G_05MAY2004.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Did it...

wh00t!!!
    Cheltenham & Gloucester Trophy, 2004, 2nd Round
    Ireland v Surrey
    Castle Avenue, Dublin
    5,6 May 2004 (50-over match)

Result: Ireland won by 5 wickets
    Series:

Toss: Ireland
    Umpires: NJ Llong and G Sharp
    Man of the Match:

Close of Play: 

Day 1: Surrey 261
    Surrey innings                                                  R   M   B  4 6
    *+JN Batty            c Bushe            b Johnston             8  28  22  1 0
    AD Brown              c Morgan           b Dros                67  97  49  6 4
    MR Ramprakash                        c & b McCallan            34 136  59  2 0
    AJ Hollioake          st Bushe           b McCallan            52  88  58  5 2
    JGE Benning           c Johnston         b White               27  22  28  1 2
    Azhar Mahmood         c Bray             b White               13 105  16  1 0
    N Shahid              c Johnston         b Botha               27  33  35  0 0
    IDK Salisbury                        c & b White                4   3   7  0 0
    MP Bicknell           c Morgan           b Botha               16  49  17  2 0
    Saqlain Mushtaq                      c & b Botha                1  31   5  0 0
    J Ormond              not out                                   1   1   3  0 0
    Extras                (b 1, lb 6, w 4)                         11
    Total                 (all out, 49.5 overs)                   261

FoW: 1-42 (Batty), 2-97 (Brown), 3-145 (Ramprakash),
         4-194 (Hollioake), 5-194 (Benning), 6-218 (Azhar Mahmood),
         7-228 (Salisbury), 8-248 (Shahid), 9-260 (Saqlain Mushtaq),
         10-261 (Bicknell).

Bowling                      O      M      R      W
    Johnston                     8      2     35      1 (1w)
    Eagleson                     8      0     50      0 (1w)
    Botha                        9.5    0     48      3 (1w)
    Dros                         4      0     27      1 (1w)
    McCallan                    10      1     51      2
    White                       10      0     43      3

Ireland innings (target: 262 runs)                              R   M   B  4 6
    *JAM Molins                              b Azhar Mahmood       58  81  57  7 0
    JP Bray                                  b Saqlain Mushtaq     52 121  93  4 0
    AC Botha              lbw                b Salisbury           17  21  22  2 0
    G Dros                c Brown            b Bicknell            45  54  53  3 1
    PG Gillespie          lbw                b Azhar Mahmood       28  41  31  1 0
    AR White              not out                                  20  27  20  3 0
    WK McCallan           not out                                  18  22  17  2 0
    Extras                (lb 3, w 15, nb 6)                       24
    Total                 (5 wickets, 48.2 overs)                 262

To Bat: EJG Morgan, DT Johnston, RL Eagleson, +JA Bushe.

FoW: 1-103 (Molins), 2-137 (Botha), 3-154 (Bray), 4-221 (Dros),
         5-223 (Gillespie).

Bowling                      O      M      R      W
    Bicknell                    10      0     55      1 (5w)
    Ormond                       9      0     48      0 (2w)
    Azhar Mahmood                9.2    0     60      2 (1nb, 2w)
    Saqlain Mushtaq             10      0     34      1 (2nb, 1w)
    Salisbury                    8      0     44      1 (3w)
    Hollioake                    2      0     18      0 (2w)

Every bit as impressive and satisfying as beating Zimbabwe by 10 wickets last summer!

Holy Crap that is a big result....just look at the bowling attack Surrey have.

Wish I had gone to it now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 majorharry

I think we need to get the great result against Surrey into perspective. In football terms its like Shamrock Rovers beating Real Madrid in the Champions league.
    Congratulations to all, but especially to the "Man of the Match", Andrew White, who comes from my home town of Newtownards, Co.Down.

Here's to the Northants game, who would be like Mallorca if Surrey are Real Madrid! :D

Anyone going to Clontarf on Sunday 30th??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Alas we Lost to Northhampton.

But we played well (have to put that in)

But I reckon Ireland can take a lot from both games.

Can someone tell me off the cricket setup i.e Saturday and Sunday teams
    I returning back to Ireland this summer and fancy playing whilst there.

Advertisement