Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[SPOILERS] ALL post Wrestlemania XX talk here!

• 14-03-2004 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by smiaras
    Just so we don't get a repeat of recent weeks how about we all make sure that we put spoiler alerts in any thread titles from tomorrow onwards for about a week. If people are interested they can go look into your post but XX is the biggest show of the year and I for one would hate to see it spoiled for anyone. So if anyone makes an appearance or anything don't go saying "such and such is back", there's going to be loads of threads I wish there'd be just one but the forum is sure to be busy. So how about a little common sense otherwise we'll probably just dengenerate into another round of b1tch1n

Hopefully this thread will take care of that. And it'll hopefully clear up the boards from the inevitable 10 results threads. So please don't post anything about WMXX anywhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Quick thoughts:

Cena/Big Show - Decent opener. Would've preferred if Cena hadn't cheated to win, but whatever.

Raw Tag match - Was disappointed it wasn't elimination, and was very surprised that the champions retained. Match was pretty poor though.

Jericho/Christian - Good match. I wasn't expecting the Trish turn at all. And she went from face to a complete evil look in the space of a couple of seconds.

Rock/Foley v Evolution - Very good match. I thought Rock/Foley were a certainty to win it. Hopefully the Orton/Foley feud continues.

Playboy match - Rubbish as expected.

Cruiserweight match - Very disappointing. Firstly, the rules were bull. In what did Chavo get to face 9 people? Then, they eliminated Dragon early on, Funaki after a second, Nunzio by countout, and they don't even let Jimmy Yang in the match. Way to use your talent.

Smackdown tag - Forgettable really.

Women's match - Too short to be anything.

Goldberg/Lesnar - Bad match. Very interesting crowd reactions.

Angle/Eddie - Very good match. Would've liked it longer.

Undertaker/Kane - I was expecting Taker back in some phenom style gimmick, which while I would've marked out for it, it would've been unrealistic. Instead he reminded me of a Judge Dredd story from years ago where Dredd is involved in some sort of accident and his memory is erased. He ends up wandering the badlands wearing a long trenchcoat and a wide-brimmed hat and kicked ass. Funnily enough, the story was called The Dead Man. Anyway, for that reason alone, I loved the new look (even if it didn't change that much) The match was so-so.

Benoit/Michaels/Triple H - I loved this match, and I would've loved had Benoit not won because it was really really great. However, Benoit did win!! And I'm so ****ing happy right now!! What a beautiful definitive moment at the end with Benoit and Eddie in tears. Even though I'm all caught up in it right now, it's definitely my all-time favourite moment of any PPV!

BENOIT RULES! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Instead he reminded me of a Judge Dredd story from years ago where Dredd is involved in some sort of accident and his memory is erased. He ends up wandering the badlands wearing a long trenchcoat and a wide-brimmed hat and kicked ass. Funnily enough, the story was called The Dead Man.

Thats where the sister's of death burn him in lava dureing the time the dark judges where destroying mega city 1.....J-D came back to beat them all though :)

have the comic here (along with around ...ohh 700 eps)

Aye, have it in novel form myself too. Class story!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

wasnt great to be honest!! Golberg vs Brock was rubbish!! the only good thing was the chantin!! it was priceless!!
    Eddie vs Angle was a very impressive match! Excellent!!
    Taker will als rule!! he has lost the gut that he accumalated over the years and looks much better for it!! the crowd was unreal when the music started for him!! vintage taker!! excellent!! even if the match wasnt that great it was entertaining
    was nice to see all the hall of famers!

every other match was pants really apart from cena and big show!! which was mildly entertaining!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

The playboy match was one of the best of the evening tbh. The Brock/Goldberg match was absolutely awful. HHH/Benoit/HBK match was probably the best out of the lot, HBK's face was pretty nasty. Disappointing overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Overall it was alright. nothing spectacular.

the two heavyweight title matches were the highlights...specially the way eddie won his match.

im surprised that neither tag titles didnt change hands i always find it better that these titles be in the hands of proper tag teams rather than makey upy tag teams.

lesner/goldberg match sucked so bad but crowd reaction for the match was the highlight of the night.

was hoping the rock would give foley a rock bottom at the end of their match.

cruiserweight was meant to be the highlight but was so crap. highlight of this match was ultimo slipping on his wayout...i guess they wont be using glass flooring again as heenan almost took a tumble too.

im glad the undertaker hasnt really returned as the deadman. i think he will lose the deadman role soon.

loved the heel turn by trish.god she looked like a nasty minx at the end. she got her wish. shes been wanting to try heel for ages.

im shocked they actually went through with molly holly losing her hair. props of the night to her for going for it.

other than that it was a pretty forgetful WWM.

I guess they wont be doing big crowd PPVS anymore as WWMXXI is in a similar sized arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

I think the triple threat match and the return of the undertaker was the best. As soon as his muscic starts everyone goes mad.
    the evening gown match was rubbish.Cena/bigshow match was good aswell asthe Jericho/Christian. The look on jericho's face.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

the evening gown served its purpase (scantaly clad wimen) and i taught it was perfect, jerico took some awful/crate bomps in his match he realy took it out for wm and considering the time they had they told a brilent story, cena big show was very good as well but shouldnt have been the opener, and brock goldberg was awful the end was good with goldberg getting stunned, was brock crying at the end and is it through about him leveing/sellingout to nfl (ive been away for a wile) the last 3 matches rocked and my mane man benoit won cleanly and beet the champ (i taught the point of tripple treaths was the champ didnt get pinned). and molly lost her hear for the sake of wm and god victoria is hot the rest was too many wrestlers and not anough time

Originally posted by a-hole
    god victoria is hot

Ill tell you who looked absolutely stunning last night... Lillian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

is jessy going to run for president in 2008 hed be better than bush and actually wants to do something for the people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just saw pictures of the New Old Undertaker.... looks pretty sh1t..... not unlike his fat biker gimmick...... how dissapointed am i? very..

Flogen

he did look well though....he has lost his chubby tummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Overall very disappointing.
    The matches looked rushed.
    Goldberg/Lesner was utter sh*te! (Cant fool the fans!:) Na Na Na Na!)
    Eddie/Angle could have gone on longer!
    Taker/Kane. Never thought id say this but i thought taker looked very good. Didn't go for that stupid Deadman thing!

Triple threat match was the best tho. Was it just me being drunk or was HBK getting booed like crazy?:eek:

WTF happened to the recap of the last 19 WM's?:confused:

Anywho overall bad!
    ps Laughed my b*llocks off when Ultimo Dragon slipped!
    pps Anyone else think kidmans SSP from inside to out looked a tad dangerous? Looked like his head landed on the ramp and the ref went straight over to him.
    But he got back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Overall I was disappointed. I found it very hard to stay awake during the middle of the ppv. Decent start, good finish, but a lot of rubbish in between.

Brock v Goldberg was awful. When the crowd started booing they should have had the sense to hurry the match up! I must read more about the rumours because I was not aware of any before the match. There was so much booing and na na na na that JR had to acknowledge the rumours just to explain the negative reaction.

For me though, the most disappointing aspect of the night was the lack of daredevil stuff. TLC 3 would have been a great idea for either of the tag team championships. Rock & Sock v Evolution could have been no dq to have some real mayhem.

The cruiser weight match should have been a ten man elimination match or a royal rumble.

The card looked great before the event, so it is disappointing it flopped a bit.

Less matches, 1 hour shorter and a bit more quality and length in the matches would have been welcome.

WTF? There's almost more praise for the stupid playboy 'match' than for Benoit winning the World Title? Jesus :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Thoughts:

Cena/Show - good opener, i liked that they spread the good matches out a bit, and used the filler matches as.... well, filler

Raw Tag - this did nothing for me

Jericho/Christian - good match, started a bit slow, but finished strong

rock n sock/evolution - didn't really get into this at all, would have preferred if they'd done it 'no dq' and made it 3 on 3 with terry funk making up the numbers.

playboy - does exactly what it says on the tin

Cruiserweight match - biggest dissapointment, purely because it was so short, i think they did really well with what limited time they had, but it had a really rushed feel, to be honest i would have been happier to see this go 20-30 mins on velocity(who in the name of god thought bob holly vs a-train was a good way to warm people up for WM)

smackdown tag match - weak but still better than the raw one, but woulda liked to have seen wgtt get the belts.

womens match - was alright

goldberg/lesner - i thought it was ok given the time and egos involved, looks like the wwe must be looking to get goldberg to stay.

angle/eddie - i thought this was fantastic, was great to see eddie retain

undertaker/kane - i'm a total sucker for the undertaker and had goosebumps for his intro, pretty good and short for a bigman match.

hhh/benoit/hbk - thought this was fantastic aswell, good to see benoit winning cleanly.

Overall i enjoyed it, liked it better than last years, some of the matches deserved to be longer, particularly the cruiserweight one and the jericho/christian match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

tbh i thought it was very forgetable.

the cruisers were very dissapointing pretty much for the exact reasons exit said. with the talent/time i was looking forward to a lot more (felt sorry for dragon falling twice when this was his dream night)

lesnar/goldberg was abismal. the best thing about the match was the crowd. it seems brock is leaving for real aswell. a very dissapointing end to a promising career imo.

on the womens title match, would it not have made more sense for it to be a straight forward hair vs hair match. it seemed a really obvious ending as molly was the only one who stood to loose her hair. and also am i the only one who thought brutus should have been there to do the cutting instead of the smiling gimp they had there. in fact why dont they use brutus for all hair vs hair matches, would be a nice touch.

didnt rate angle/eddie that highly, surprised a lot of people did.

hhh/benoit/shawn was definitely the highlight of the night and i marked out so much to see eddie and chris end the show with the belts. it was a great ending.

what was the story with the undertaker? he basically gelled his old costume with his new one. and kanes speech about UT turning into a normal person and betraying him (by becoming the biker) makes no sense as kane tagged with UT while he was the biker.

overall i think it was too long. and also the 1 hour recap which someone here said was to happen, didnt, and that was a major downer for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

They scrapped the recap? How long was it on in total?
    Nero

• Advertisement

bout 4 hours 45. thought that could have been a big highlight.

also the hall of fame thing was decent.

About 4 1/2 hours.
    I think I recall going to bed at around 4.30:dunno: But im not sure!

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    bout 4 hours 45. thought that could have been a big highlight.

also the hall of fame thing was decent.

everyone hear Pete Rose getting booed....magic

Sky/NTL may not have shown it, i know for the states, they had a 1 hour pre game show with the wrestlemania recaps.

But if people were heading to bed at 4.30, then thats a whole diff can of piss altogether.

HOWEVER: This means it might be on the DVD issue! That'll be some beefy DVD.
    Nero

Originally posted by Washout
    everyone hear Pete Rose getting booed....magic

yea he was booed out of the building, worse than lesnar......well almost. who is he anyways

on the hall of famers:

hasnt greg valentine pied it up.

can tito santana say anything other than "ariba"?

billy graham looked fantastic for his age, i watched WM 4 the other week and he looks the exact same.

jessy ventura looked more like the macho man. and do u think he mentioned his presidential ambitions enough?

poor bobby heenan, its so sad to see him reduced to that, although he seems in great spirits. was heart breaking when he mentioned monsoon.

aye, they've already confirmedthat the wmxx dvd will be a 3 dvd set, so it'll probbaly have the racap tningy and 'the mania of wrestlemania' which was a documentary filmed during wm19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭cannonballkid

.Paul Bearer it was great seeing him again .
    . Taker enter was amazing and the match was great.
    . Dragon sliping on on stage and if anyone saw on the rope.
    . Lesnars goodbye chants were great good im happy to see the back of him .
    . Goldberg for me was great he wanted a good match you could see that he was great.
    . is Goldberg staying rumours say yes anyone any info.
    .Eddie is a great champ and had a great win Go eddie .
    . benoit was great deserves everything he is getting .
    . Heehan and Mean Gene funnyest thing i have seen on wwe tv in a while would have loved to have seen them call a match.
    . Austin was great too he made the lesnar goldberg match.
    The reactions of golberg austin and lesnar to the crowd was priceless .
    . I think lesnar insulted everyone last night with the way he acted after the match wwe give him everything and he just walks the least he could have done is said goodbye.
    , my best moment at mania was eddie and benoit at the end they are the greatest wrestliers at the moment and showed great friendship all night .
    > one last thing.....
    THANK GOD LESNAR IS GONE

Pete Rose is a baseball legend, he's very very famous in the states.

The booing might have been for a couple of reasons, he recently admitted to match fixing(or something similar) in his autobiography, and i'm not sure what baseball team he played for but i don't think it was NY

hasnt greg valentine pied it up.

can tito santana say anything other than "ariba"?

billy graham looked fantastic for his age, i watched WM 4 the other week and he looks the exact same.

jessy ventura looked more like the macho man. and do u think he mentioned his presidential ambitions enough?

poor bobby heenan, its so sad to see him reduced to that, although he seems in great spirits. was heart breaking when he mentioned monsoon.

Valentine looked well out of shape, even by the time he made a comeback to the Rumble in 94 or 95, Santana can speak perfect english, the question is, can anyone understand it. Graham always kept himself in shape and should be an inspiration for everyone who's think of quitting the business. I can picture Lesnar being a pile of crap by the time he hits 40 due to stopping training. Imagine how huge he'll get?

Ventura is now and forever a politician, best to deal with it now. And Heenan, as much as I loved him behind the mic, but i'll always say he was nothing without monsoon and i'm sure he'd agree. To do commentary, you'd need two opposites and thats what Monsoon and Heenan were. They complimented the Vince/Ventura on their sister program, Superstars, which is why the first six Wrestlemania's weren't the greatest in retrospect as opposed to what 7, 8 and 9 would bring. :)

Nero

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Glowingmind
    aye, they've already confirmedthat the wmxx dvd will be a 3 dvd set, so it'll probbaly have the racap tningy and 'the mania of wrestlemania' which was a documentary filmed during wm19

Heheh, can you say "expensive"? ;)
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Good way to open with John Cena. Good match loved it when Big Show kicked out, and then Cena playing the ref. Love it.

Raw tag title match was a bit of a suprise for me cause R.V.D and Booker T retained. Will be interesting to see where they take it from here.

The Jericho Christian match was amazing. Loved every second of it and Trish was extremly hot when she came out:). Liked the turn thought it was gonna happen though. Cant wait for the rematch.

Loved The Rock N Sock interview. The Rock is without a doubt the man on the stick. Good match was a bit shocked with the result, honestly thought Mick Foley would pin Ric Flair. I cant see where they are going with this one now.

Missed it fell alseep:(

Again missed it as well though the highlights at the end made it look like a decent enough match.

Smackdown title match was good, coulda been better.

Was very good poor Molly no hair ha.

Goldberg Lesnar was alright thought Lesnar would go over here though since he was Vinces creation. Hes obviously going now.

Guerrero and Angle another fantastic match up. I thought this was gonna be the main event since thats what they said at No Way Out. Very disappointed it wasnt at least the second last match on the card.

Taker and Kane was fantastic. The Undertaker turns up his game for WM, and to all those people who say he wouldnt sell anything I thought he did a good job of it even though he was in total control. Not as good as the previous matches though, maybe because Kane was crapping himself throughout. Disappointed with the way in which he returned. The entrance was good but I was expecting ministry Undertaker. Anybody else think the guy with Easy E earlier in the night might be joining The Undertaker if he reforms the Ministry?

Main event wasnt that good. It would have been much better to have HBK tap out to The Sharpshooter o how much I would have loved that. Still Benoit is the champion and its great. Nice tough with Eddie Guerrero coming out, would you have thought when the Radicalz came that two of their members would be coming out with the top straps at WMXX.

Overall good PPV to bad I fell asleep during the Playboy Match and the Cruiserweight match though from reading what everyone else said it was a disappointment.

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme
    And Heenan, as much as I loved him behind the mic, but i'll always say he was nothing without monsoon and i'm sure he'd agree. To do commentary, you'd need two opposites and thats what Monsoon and Heenan were. They complimented the Vince/Ventura on their sister program, Superstars, which is why the first six Wrestlemania's weren't the greatest in retrospect as opposed to what 7, 8 and 9 would bring. :)

Nero

If you have broadband you can check out highlights of the hall of fame ceremony, it has the full pete rose induction, by kane(thankfully just being glen jacobs), but it has a bit of bobby heenans inductions where he says(sounding like he was about to cry) ' i just wish monsoon coulda been here'

edit: sorry shoulda said you can find it here: http://www.tsn.ca/wrestling/ great site, check out the excellent archived wrestling interviews, particularly the bret hart ones

i thought they were like changing the WWE logo too soon...thought they would have done it at this PPV

I heard that too, obviously they didnt lol.

Actually for smiaras, theres a pic on that page of the undertaker, it's his return judgement day 2000 costume except a hat like what the deadman used to wear.

Nero

• Advertisement

Originally posted by cannonballkid
    I think lesnar insulted everyone last night with the way he acted after the match wwe give him everything and he just walks the least he could have done is said goodbye.

I believe he was more insulted after all he's done for us. I have to say I've enjoyed pretty mcuh everything he's been involved in since he joined. While the booing was humourous, I think it was just plain rude.

He deserves more than boo'ing if it wasnt for the WWE he'd be nothing. And then he just walks out after having everything given to him. The guy has nothing about him, and hopefully WWE learn their lesson.

I never liked the guy have never cheered him on, I've only enjoying him getting his ass handed to him by King Kurt...Its True its True!

Originally posted by markomac316
    He deserves more than boo'ing if it wasnt for the WWE he'd be nothing. And then he just walks out after having everything given to him. The guy has nothing about him, and hopefully WWE learn their lesson.

I never liked the guy have never cheered him on, I've only enjoying him getting his ass handed to him by King Kurt...Its True its True!

all hes done is change jobs when u think about it. if you were in a job 2 years and you decided to leave ho would you like it if everyone in your office sat there on your last day singing nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah goodbye?

I was never a big fan of Lesnar, however as i stated before, he always did the job, regardless on if he wanted to or not. Brock came in at a good time (just before Rock was on his way out) but his reasons for wanting to bail are just nothing more than an excuse for saying "i've made my money, i've got my plane, i'm jumping ship now, thanks for all".

As i stated also, it'll be less than a year before we see him back again. I mean, if he was this stuck up in his last WWE days, can you imagine him in the likes of TNA?

But if it's on good terms, then like Hogan and Flair, he'll be back sooner than we think.
    Nero

all hes done is change jobs when u think about it. if you were in a job 2 years and you decided to leave ho would you like it if everyone in your office sat there on your last day singing nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah goodbye?

Didn't Vince McMahon, the boss of that company first start that chant a few years back?

Nero

• Advertisement

Has to be said tho him leaving will hurt WWE.
    Lesner is the only thing keeping SD goin at the mo imo unlike Goldie whos never on RAW.

Good luck to lesner tho

To be honest i fully expect to see lesner back in the wwe within a year(though possibly on raw because apparantly he's very unpopular on smackdown). While most people are writing his chances of going to the nfl, you have to look at a couple of things, first off he's an absolutly phenomenal athlete, he's very quick for his size, he's in amazing shape, despite his travel schedule. And apparantly he's even stronger than he looks, with most wrestlers who he's faced in the past year pointing this out(though that may have just been to make him look good).
    Obviously one of the main issues is that he hasn't played american football in years, but he did get offered trials with a couple of pro teams after he won the ncaa title so obviously someone saw something in him they could develop. I wouldn't expect to see him playing as a quarter back ever,(before i go on i now very little about american football aside from the basics) but he'd be a pretty fierce blocker/tackler with a bit of training.

arent all blockers about 30 stone? i think thats a little out of brocks league. maybe yokozuna in his prime

Nah, you want a blocker, go to WCW around 2000 and look up Big T
    Sad to compare that fat slug to what he once was.... Ahmed Johnson.

Nero

http://musclemonthly.com/articles/001015/001015-dermontti-dawson.htm

This guy's pretty much the same size as lesner, and the guy he describes as being the strongest player is about 40 pounds heavier, but is also enormous

Originally posted by smiaras
    I was so shocked when I saw Ahmed Johnsen in the ring again, he was a complete embaressment and it showed up how long wcw were willing to sink. What we're they thinking letting a man that could impersonate a pregnant butch lesbian step into the ring again?

Imagine how embarrassed Booker T felt when he saw him as a replacement for the team! ;)
    Nero

If I was a pro wrestler given what he got and decided to turn my back on the people who made me then I would expect it.

If I was stuck in a crappy dead end office job of course i wouldnt expect it and I wouldnt get it.

He didn't seek to be made. WWE came after him, he decided to give it a go, trained hard in OVW for a couple of years, moved up to WWE, performed fantastically but realised it wasn't for him.

It's exactly like being headhunted by a company as you come out of college, you receive great pay but 3-4 years down the road you realise it wasn't what you wanted to do.

He's not turning his back on anyone.

You gotta think about something else as well, he's only about 24-25. He probably still is struggling on what he wants to do for the rest of his life. Granted he's probably made enough to go into retirement already, but money isn't everything and by the time he hits 30, he'd probably be bored.

I reckon he's probably burned out, which is perfectly explainable given the fact that he didn't get much longetivity. Four months into his debut and he was pushed to get the main strap. Once you get that, there's no going back without looking like a total moron.

Anyone remember that brief period in 2001 when Cripple H had the IC belt back on him?

He got out while the going was good, before the locker room heat got too much. I still reckon he'll be back within a year.

Nero

• Advertisement
Advertisement