Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[articles] The Provos and the Docks

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 c'nedra

gotta say i agree with Ishmael whale here. to say its ok for the IRA continue to engage in smuggling is ok, its kind of like saying "Shop lifting is a victimless crime". Just down right untrue, the small time stuff funds the bigger issue arms trade. The IRA for example continues to support both sides of the Limreick fued, for its own gain. Arms trading down here is huge the more they fight the more they need. their campaign may not have the same poitical repercussions as their "northern work" but in terms of loss of human life and ordinary people suffering to advance their cause its pretty devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

You've got to consider the activities of the IRA in the light of the previos 30 years of war. The IRA are rapidly reducing the level of their activities to a minimal level. They have made huge concessions on major issues in order to demonstrate their committment.

Simply asking for a complete disbandment and cesation of all activities just isnt an option. Remember the motivations behind the foundation of the IRA etc etc .................ie if there wasn't a need for the IRA the wouldn't exist. Like I said before ..............by the british on demilitarisation, policing, loyalist lack pf cease fire, need for truth commissions etc etc are all issues that need to be addressed before the IRA disappears forever

Its simple really. All that is needed is for the various parties to implement the agreements they signed up to!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

In the context of the NI troubles the IRA are definitely at peace. ie the cease fire is whats important to remember before you go lookin for the impossible.

For an organisation to come as far as it has , give the committments it has to peace etc etc ....the IRA needs to be shown some good faith here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    The IRA are rapidly reducing the level of their activities to a minimal level.

I'm sorry...did you just say (or write) "a minimal level" ???

Are you saying that a little bit of crime is ok? That a little bit of violence isn't a breach of the peace? Come on...

They have made huge concessions on major issues in order to demonstrate their committment.
    Thats not what was being discussed.

Simply asking for a complete disbandment and cesation of all activities just isnt an option.
    Yes, it is. At least, it is in the latter case. I agree regarding disbandment, but there is no justification for the IRA to be currently carrying out any illegal activities.

Either they have put violence behind them, or they haven't. There is no middle ground. IT is not acceptable for the IRA to be "mostly non-violent", just as it would not be acceptable to be "mostly on a cease-fire".

And if we're just talking non-violent criminal behaviour....then sorry...no...it is not acceptable for anyone to be engaged in organised crime, regardless of who they are or what their excuse is.

Remember the motivations behind the foundation of the IRA etc etc
    I do - and it wasn't organised crime.
    ie if there wasn't a need for the IRA the wouldn't exist.
    Do you believe there is also a need for oppression by foreign governments? That exists, so there must be a need? How about a need for divided nations? They exist, so there must be a need. Hey - here's one - how about the need for racism, sexism, and all of those other lovely traits we see around the world? They all exist, so they must be needed too?

No???? Then I'm afraid I don't quite buy your identically structued argument.
    ...are all issues that need to be addressed before the IRA disappears forever
    Correct. However, that is still no justification for the continuation of illegal activities. It is only a justification for continued existance.
    Its simple really. All that is needed is for the various parties to implement the agreements they signed up to!!!!!!!
    Could you explain which part of the GFA covers the IRA being involved in organised crime on an ongoing basis? If not, then this argument would seem to be somewhat irrelevant to the point at hand.

Or do you wish to claim that the IRA is in no way involved in any ongoing criminal activities despite having said yourself at the top that it is cutting these activities down to a minimum.
    In the context of the NI troubles the IRA are definitely at peace. ie the cease fire is whats important to remember before you go lookin for the impossible.
    Yes, and outside any context of troubles, it would appear that the IRA are involved in organised cime on an ongoing basis. Why is this acceptable????

jc

Advertisement