Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Windows XP

Options
  • 14-03-2004 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Everytime i go try a java enabled website, where the application should be running , i get a blank screen, or an error java not enabled.

It appears that my installation of windows does not have java enabled.

How do i overcome this problem?

Im running XP Pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

You can no longer d/l Java for windows becos of some dispute between Sun & MS.

google Java Virtual Machine and there is a method to get the latest version of java working on yoru machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Go to www.java.com and download the runtime environment.

Technically Sun blocked M$'s inclusion of Java in recent releases of Windows (2kSP4, XP) as M$ were modifying the Java Runtime Environment for their own purposes.

[EDIT: lazyman's link

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

You can also still have Microsoft JVM instead of Sun's version. Try google or you can dload one at Irish Revenue website.

http://www.ros.ie/info/msjavx86.exe

Then after complete installation, run WindowsUpdate to get available patches.

Moderators : pls delete this reply if it's not appropriate to link this site. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Sorted, many thanks.

Got it from ROS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by mart_max
    You can also still have Microsoft JVM instead of Sun's version. Try google or you can dload one at Irish Revenue website.
    Why not just d/l the actual, proper Java Runtime Environment from Sun? TBH Sun's is more secure, more up to date and works as it should.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Since Microsoft have dumped it completely, there will be no more security/bug updates, so I guess the official Sun java runtime environment would be better, but each to their own. No advocacy here!

Advertisement