Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sinple question of comparison...

Options
  • 14-03-2004 7:54pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've lately been (re-)reading a few of the Hellblazer collected books, and I can't help but wonder if the character in Warren Ellis's Strange Kisses/Strange Killings comic books is in many ways similar. Given that Ellis had a stint on Hellblazer (and complained that he wasn't being allowed to do what he wanted with it - particularly when DC refused to publish the issue about school shootings), is it just coincidence? Or does anyone else agree that he seems to have "borrowed" several aspects of a cool character and used them to make another cool character?

Admittedly, there's some differences (such as the military background of Bill Gravel) but he wears a trenchcoat, smokes a lot, has a big problem with authority, and messes about with the kind of magic that often results in lots of people dying. And he's English. I'm not sure if Bill Gravel has a habit of getting his friends killed, but what happened in Body Orchard shows that he doesn't have a problem with killing people he was formerly friends with, if necessary.

So. Is it just me noticing little things because I read too much Warren Ellis stuff? Or does anyone agree with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Not sure, havent read enough of Hellblazer to say, never really liked the little bits of Hellblazer that i read anyway

Advertisement