Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed IP Address - which DSL services offer it

• 14-03-2004 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Which suppliers offer a fixed IP address?

Eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Netsource do, dunno about the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Marucci

Esat Business do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Irish Broadband do for all connections as standard afaik. It's not DSL though but wireless BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

eircom buisness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by taoiseachjoe

Eircom?

On some plans with eircom you can get a fixed ip/reverse dns done

NetSoruce all plans fixed IP/reverse dns

NTL - If you could talk to someone who knows what you are talking about which would be hard they _might_

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

It doesn;t matter what ISP you go with, you can still get a "fixed" address.

Sign up at www.no-ip.org, and you can get a free account which will allow you to make a certain address (like terminator.no-ip.org) always redirect to your current IP. Perfect for running FTP servers, game servers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by taoiseachjoe

Eircom?

Why do you need one?

you can achieve the same thing by signing up to a (free) account on somewhere like dyndns.org which will point to your machine, no matter what the IP

HC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Esat business
    Eircom business
    Netsourse
    All come with static ip

With the home broadband services (clicksliver iol broadband plus etc)

Utv cost 5 euro extra per month for static ip on both packages
    Iol don’t give you the option
    Eircom charges you a 63! Euro once off fee

according to ireland offline

• Registered Users Posts: 19 taoiseachjoe

Folks,

thank you all very much for your input - where would we be without your enthusiastic willingness to help!

I think I will go the eircom 60euro route as I am planning an eircom DSL connection anyway.

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

UTV offer a fixed IP for an extra €5 per month with either of their packages .. so it's pretty good value from €34.99 for DSL with a fixed IP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

yeah, but why pay for a fixed IP, when you can get one for free of no-ip or dyndns. Thats what i ask

5eur in your pocket is better than 5eur in theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    yeah, but why pay for a fixed IP, when you can get one for free of no-ip or dyndns
    So you can use a proper domain and not one that has no-ip or dyndns would be an obvious reason. You could have a firewall that you only want to grant access to certain IP's.

It all depends one what you want the static IP for really. Dynamic dns is sometimes a workaround, but not it all cases.

Originally posted by MrPinK
    So you can use a proper domain and not one that has no-ip or dyndns would be an obvious reason. You could have a firewall that you only want to grant access to certain IP's.

It all depends one what you want the static IP for really. Dynamic dns is sometimes a workaround, but not it all cases.

My firewall is configurable to allow only certian IPs. I think you can configure apach to do it as well. dyndns works fine for me...

hc

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    yeah, but why pay for a fixed IP, when you can get one for free of no-ip or dyndns. Thats what i ask

5eur in your pocket is better than 5eur in theirs.

because emboss.com looks alot more sexier than emboss.imacheapskate.org

and you can't do reverse dns with dyndns

etc etc all depends what you want it for really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Emboss

I'm just niggling, but you can have whatever domain you want pointing to whatever your ip is with dyndns if you pay em. I have 2 pointing at my dialup for various reasons, for instance.

Originally posted by Moriarty
    I'm just niggling, but you can have whatever domain you want pointing to whatever your ip is with dyndns if you pay em. I have 2 pointing at my dialup for various reasons, for instance.

Niggling seconded. Although how you manage 2 sites to the same IP is beyond me.

What is reverse DNS good for? Only thing I've used it for is to see who can't get past my firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'm using Zoneedit for Dynamic DNS, with my own domain name (not mydomain.zoneedit.com), and paying nothing. I can use up to five domains for free, as long as the traffic level remains below 200MB - that's DNS traffic only, not web traffic.

for use on the www yep i don't use them for www tho

plus they won't reverse on irc so you won't look sexeh there eithier :)

and if you're running your own mail server it gets messy using dyndns

Originally posted by hughchal
    Niggling seconded. Although how you manage 2 sites to the same IP is beyond me.

What is reverse DNS good for? Only thing I've used it for is to see who can't get past my firewall.

manage two ? most hosting companies manage HUNDREDS surley he can manage two ? it's called virtual hosting :D

Originally posted by tomk
    I'm using Zoneedit for Dynamic DNS, with my own domain name (not mydomain.zoneedit.com), and paying nothing. I can use up to five domains for free, as long as the traffic level remains below 200MB - that's DNS traffic only, not web traffic.

yes it's all great for www

• Advertisement

plus they won't reverse on irc so you won't look sexeh there eithier :)

I think you should get out more :p

rolling your own mailserver os catered for at dyndns. Have you read their FAQ ?

It works equally fine for all services, not just http.. all its doing is running your dns. Oh, and I run a mail server (qmail) here for both domains and I haven't had any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Are there any issues with ISP DNS servers not honouring the TTL?

/me peers at eircom's DNS servers.

.cg

Originally posted by hughchal
    I think you should get out more :p

rolling your own mailserver os catered for at dyndns. Have you read their FAQ ?

yes used to use em years ago on my little diaup :)

It works equally fine for all services, not just http.. all its doing is running your dns. Oh, and I run a mail server (qmail) here for both domains and I haven't had any problems.

OK I JUST WANT TO LOOK SEXEH ON IRC OK!!!!!

damn

OK I JUST WANT TO LOOK SEXEH ON IRC OK!!!!!

damn

busted :ninja:

There's help available for that sort of thing..

Advertisement