Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Behaviour

Options
  • 15-03-2004 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

Ok this is a wierd one, We have three computers on a network going through a router firewall to DSL. The problem is when one particular machine is connected the router crashes I.E. becomes unresponsive all machines lose connectivity and sometimes even the IP addreses change from those assigned by DCHP. All is fine if the affected computer is disconnected from the network. A netstat -a on the computer reveals that it is listening on about 4000 ports in the 1000 - 4500 range it also has this stuff like this "[port] 66.151.151.171 syn_sent" and it just keeps going up through the high numbered ports one at a time to that IP address.
    The computer is fully virus scanned and all that so I am at a bit of a loss here.
    The problem machine is running XP pro the router is a Netgear FR114W going to a Zyxel prestige 643 dsl router/modem.

Thanks

Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

its got something, nothing I know of opens that many ports, must be some sort of trojan/backdoor if its listening on them ... I have used several OS's and none of them do that .... no idea why your router is getting poleaxed like that.. [pure guess]it may be they the router has uPNP and the dodgey machine is opening ports like a lunatic and the router cant handle it [/pure guess] try disabling uPNP

To stop the machine hitting the router install Zonealarm on it and lock it down ... see what the hell is opening all those ports, stick that into google and see where it gets you

Advertisement