Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to Dev and Amp for a great home game.

• 15-03-2004 2:13am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And I'm not just saying that because I won money from ye. A great night was had by all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Yeah it was a good night alright, seems like the party was just getting started when it finished.

Can't wait to see when HenbaneTheFaggot signs in for the first time today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yeah I had a great time, learnt quite a bit, definitely did better than I expected to - good night, thanks guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It was a great night alright. I was a bit surprised by Henbane's anal obsession.

MrP

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I heartily endorse this product and/or service.
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Yeah thanks guys - Was a great night and a great game of poker and i'm not just saying that because I took one of the prizes .

Just out of curiosity - Do people think that our game is up to the standard of a normal game in the Fitz or Merrion?

Originally posted by kencleary
    Just out of curiosity - Do people think that our game is up to the standard of a normal game in the Fitz or Merrion?
    Fair play to you Ken, you played some good poker on saturday, even if the Cowboys were slightly good to you! When I went all in on that AQ, and you quickly said call, I was just thinking "oooh no, he's got AA or KK and I'm screwed!"

I think all of us are well above average compared to the Fitz on a thursday night (free entry satellite). I'd say we're just about average, maybe slightly above or below, the standard for the rest of the Fitz games. I've only played in a handful of non-thursday tournaments personally so I think we need more experience before we'll know.

Then again, none of us have been playing competitively for longer than a few months so we must be doing something right to be winning tickets and the occasional cash prize!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Yeah I thought the play was generally to a high standard all round. There were just one or two things i'm not sure if i'd call anomalies but were different from other games i've played.

I thought there were very few multi-way pots - most seemed to quickly descend to heads-up. We were giving each other a lot of respect all night so maybe its not that unusual.

I also noticed that an early raise to double the big blind (in the early to mid stages of the game) seemed to prevent anybody else from raising the pot. I raised this amount with a few marginal hands because I felt pretty sure I wouldn't run into a re-raise whereas a limp might attract a bigger raise from one of the blinds.

*shrug* not sure of the value of any of these but theyre just two things I picked up on over the night - Well I also caught Dev with his hand in the cookie jar trying to steal but I couldnt even call because I had less than nothing :)

Good points. I thought that everyone was playing especially tight. As you say there was very few multiway pots, most were headsup and alot of hands didn't see the river card.
    I've a feeling that nobody wanted to get nailed by a monster and played very cautiously. We're all such competitive sods that everyone wanted to get to the money and have bragging rights! Nobody (I think) was playing solely for fun.

Well I was playing for fun and also trying out a new super loose style of play.

MrP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As far as the €20-in games go we are probably able to hold our heads up. I got 7th there the other night (highly p*ssed off I didnt get paid). The standard is a quantum leap above Thursday night. We'd be about the baseline standard.

I should have done better on Saturday. I made a few good calls, some came off and some didnt. I didnt get the cards (Ken got cards and fair dues, he played them!).

Was fun though, having so many around and a good bit of crack. We should stop Enda from drinking next time though... (which reminds me....):):)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Many thanks for the evening's entertainment. Me having been the drunken fool should make apologies at this stage.

Can't believe I came 3rd. Just sitting there robbing blinds when the opportunity arose. Thought I played a bit poo to be honest.

As for the anal obsession. My phrase for the week is "euro-fag rock".

[edit]Ooo, first post since saturday and my tag has been updated.... can I keep it??? please![/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

No, no, thanks for coming and also thanks for leaving behind beer in the fridge. :D

Fairly happy that my play is improving. That I got beaten on bullets by trips cowboys and went out with a flush beaten by a full house is of course annoying but that's the game.

My favourite hand was when my bluff beat MrPuddings :p

Oh and speaking of Chris, are you apologising or slagging me in your sig? ;)

Originally posted by amp

Oh and speaking of Chris, are you apologising or slagging me in your sig? ;)

That my friend is an apology.

By the way ou bluffed me once, I lost count of how many times I bluffed you:D It's such fun! And you are right, even though you didn't do as well this time (finishing position) I think your play has really improved. I'm sure that means a lot to you coming from a hardened pro like me!

MrP

Well then it was the only time that I called you on and the biggest amount I won that night. If anybody should be apologising it's me for being drunk and disorderly at your last home game.

Thankfully I stayed off the drink this time until my flatmate knocked me out, and boy was that whiskey a welcome thing to my severely adrenaline soaked brane.

Poker is with out a doubt the most intense thing I've done sitting down (with my clothes on and no women present). Handling the pressure and suppressing emotions isn't easy and I worked in call centres for 4 years!

I get it now. Sorry about that. Must have been in the toilet ;)