Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie Out?

• 15-03-2004 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

OK I wonder is it possible to discuss the likelihood or otherwise of Fergie being outsed from Man Utd after a string of disgracefully poor results against teams that they really should be beating comfortably, without turning it into a "I love MU/ I hate MU" thread of polemic?

So I'm not a MU fan, but at the same time, they seem not to be able to play basic football at this time. The players aren't up to it at the moment. Surely this cannot continue indefinitely? Is Ferguson so deified by the Utd fans that, inspite of the current string of results, they just can't see past him to some successor? And, if so, what will it take for them to consider replacing him?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-1038717,00.html

Humiliated United in state of crisis
    HUMILIATED BY MANCHESTER CITY last season, Sir Alex Ferguson and his men used the pain to fuel their drive to the title. Humiliated again yesterday, they are condemned to live with the despair for the months — perhaps even the years — that it could take them to win back the championship.

This year’s race is over for Manchester United, the end coming in another display of defensive incompetence that their local rivals gleefully exploited to record their first home win in the Premiership since October. The 12-point gap to Arsenal is not only unbridgeable but could be doubled between now and May, given the crisis of confidence that has enveloped even class acts such as Ruud van Nistelrooy and Ryan Giggs.

The uncertainty that began to afflict the defence a couple of months ago has spread through the team like a cancer and, rather than his usual defiance, Ferguson exudes impotence. The United manager needs to prove that his powers are not on the wane after a season of personal travails, but, unless his players raise their game dramatically for the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal on April 4, there could be more embarrassment before they can draw a line under this annus horribilis.

It could get worse even before they take to the field against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday when Rio Ferdinand has his appeal against the eight-month ban for missing a drugs test heard on Thursday and Friday. “We are looking for a far fairer assessment than we got the last time,” Ferguson said yesterday, but a reduction in the sentence is thought unlikely.

Ferguson has described the loss of Ferdinand as “a killer for us”, but it was a self-inflicted wound, like so many this season. The failure to bring in a defender in January as cover was as strange as some of United’s earlier transfers. The Stretford End was expecting Ronaldinho and Harry Kewell but ended up with Kléberson and David Bellion. The serious injury that has deprived them of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for most of the campaign should not be overlooked, but, alarmingly for United, they were missing only three first-team regulars as they crashed to defeat yesterday and two of those, Ferdinand and Gary Neville, were suspended.

Roy Keane was the only member of the first XI ruled out through injury and even at the peak of his powers he would have struggled to boost morale that had been dipping long before last week’s European Cup exit at the hands of FC Porto. Keane must have despaired at what he saw and, worst of all, the time has almost come when he will be too old to do anything about it.

In Keane’s absence yesterday, Giggs was captain and the lack of leadership was plain as United fell apart in the second half. Unfortunate to be trailing 2-1 at the interval, United succumbed to horribly familiar failings. “We played really well in the first half,” Ferguson said. “We hit the bar and the post, but we started to force the game when we should have played with patience. That is when the experience has got to show itself. We lost our shape too quickly.

“You have to look at defensive errors. It was sloppy defending. It’s been like that for two months. Simple defending, clear your lines, dump the ball out. We showed far too much hesitancy.”

Only three minutes had elapsed when United were undone by the first of those errors. Richard Dunne’s long throw was flicked on by Antoine Sibierski and a momentary lapse by Phil Neville allowed Robbie Fowler to nip ahead and, after stealing the ball away with his first touch, prod it past Tim Howard.

United were dominant for the next 30 minutes, particularly Cristiano Ronaldo, who had acres of space to exploit on the left wing. He struck a post and the crossbar before the interval, but, with only their second decent chance of the match, City extended their lead. Sibierski barged Ronaldo out of possession and the ball was eventually fed forward to Jon Macken, whose shot on the turn went through Mikaë l Silvestre’s legs on its way past Howard.

Ferguson had ordered his players not to feel sorry for themselves, but they were entitled to bemoan their misfortune and, when they struck back through Paul Scholes a few minutes later, the expectation was that they might press on for victory. Instead, another calamitous mistake put them farther behind and it came from Silvestre, who had, until that point, been their most effective defender. Ignoring Ferguson’s advice to whack the ball out of defence, he tried to nudge a short pass to Wes Brown but gave it instead to Trevor Sinclair, who chipped a shot past Howard.

Humiliation was complete when Shaun Wright-Phillips — who had been rivalled only by Ronaldo as man of the match — took the ball out on the byline in stoppage time and ran at Brown. His shot’s spectacular arch over Howard was assisted by a deflection off the defender’s boot. City’s delight at the final whistle was unconfined, while United trudged away wearily to contemplate that, with two months to go, there may be only one meaningful match left in their season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I knew this would start on here sooner or later.

To even talk of "ousting" Fergie after a couple of months of so-called bad results is ridiculous.

The man has been proven time and again to be one of the shrewdist managers to have ever managed in the Premier League.

He has won 8 titles out of 11, three doubles(incl the treble) and created at least 2 great teams (the team that won the league first, with Ince, Hughes and Cantona, and the team that won the treble with Keane, the "fledglings" and others.).

When he let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis go people even then called for him to be let go, saying he had lost the plot, but he went on to build a team that won the European Cup without that particular trio.

At the moment Manchester United are a team in transition, Ferguson has bought in some players, who at the moment are of questionable quality, but I state this: when Wenger took over at Arsenal and bought in the likes of Pires, Henry and Vieira they were unknowns who have now become some of the worlds finest players.

No, I'm afraid that it is too soon to even begin to think about axing Ferguson, he is on his way to the building of a third great team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 syngin

There are a lot of players in the side that are not up to scratch.
    Some of these players would barely make the line out for the like of the so called "weaker" teams.
    There really needs to be a complete clean out but i can't see fergie getting the backing of the board as it'll mean big spending.
    They need about 5 positons on the park replaced with top quality and also the bench needs stenghtening.
    5 players i can name are:

=> Forlan
    => Brown
    => Fletcher
    => Bellion
    => O'Shea

I realise that all these players have been mentioned before as being the week links in the team but if you look at the goals their conceeding the blame is with one of these apart from the few that don't play.
    Fergie will probably end up leaving alright. Personally i hope he stays as he loves proving the knockers wrong.
    Needless to say he doesn't need to be told who are the weak links in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by seansouth
    I knew this would start on here sooner or later.

To even talk of "ousting" Fergie after a couple of months of so-called bad results is ridiculous.

The man has been proven time and again to be one of the shrewdist managers to have ever managed in the Premier League.

He has won 8 titles out of 11, three doubles(incl the treble) and created at least 2 great teams (the team that won the league first, with Ince, Hughes and Cantona, and the team that won the treble with Keane, the "fledglings" and others.).

When he let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis go people even then called for him to be let go, saying he had lost the plot, but he went on to build a team that won the European Cup without that particular trio.

At the moment Manchester United are a team in transition, Ferguson has bought in some players, who at the moment are of questionable quality, but I state this: when Wenger took over at Arsenal and bought in the likes of Pires, Henry and Vieira they were unknowns who have now become some of the worlds finest players.

No, I'm afraid that it is too soon to even begin to think about axing Ferguson, he is on his way to the building of a third great team.

Ditto for me and when he does "go" it should be no further than upstairs like Sir Matt Busby did. The only concern i would have for him are the recent healthscare and news that he has had a pacemaker fitted. Football management can be a very stressful occupation and I would be concerned that his health could deterioratre further . If that were to be the case he should go sooner rather than later but that decision must be his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Bellion, Kleberson, Forlan et al are not going to be the building of a third great team. If I was a United supporter I would obviously be upset at the teams current poor form and apparent inability to string two passes together, but Ferguson will get at least another season.

They'll be in the Champions League next season anyway, and odd poor patch aside will as usual be there or thereabouts this time next year.

Football supporters can be notoriously fickle, Newcastle had a brutal start this year (and still should be higher) and you had people calling for Robson's head. I was annoyed at the crap performances but was confident they would come relatively good eventually and, as usual, I was right :)

So the folk wanting Fergie out should relax a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

do you lot think roy keane could be the next united manager ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ah yes, the second Troll thread of the week, my aren't we starting early.

I honestly don't think he will go befor ethe end of the season anyway.
    Even then he will only go on 1) Health Issues 2) If he is forced out.

2 is unlikely, 1 is possible.

Now let me see if i can find the "Fergie to Quit Utd, Join City and Buy Henry and Viera" thread that is bound to appear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Originally posted by dod

So I'm not a MU fan, but at the same time, they seem not to be able to play basic football at this time. The players aren't up to it at the moment. Surely this cannot continue indefinitely? Is Ferguson so deified by the Utd fans that, inspite of the current string of results, they just can't see past him to some successor? And, if so, what will it take for them to consider replacing him?

No he shouldnt be ousted or asked to step aside. There is no better manager in England and his record proves it. This season will only drive him on even more for next season.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Ditto for me and when he does "go" it should be no further than upstairs like Sir Matt Busby did.

I have to disagree with this Muppet. When Matt Busby went upstairs it was to the detriment of the managers who came afterwards. It was like he was there looking over their shoulders, and they didn't perform to their best.

In reply to

bizmark

I don't think Roy Keane would be equipped to take over the reigns from Ferguson any time in the next three or four years. He has no management experience, and any club that has the aspirations that Manchester United have need an experienced manager.

Sure enough, Roy is going for his coaching badges and the like, but he will need some proper managerial experience before even being considered for the Manchester United post.

I don't think Roy Keane would be equipped to take over the reigns from Ferguson any time in the next three or four years. He has no management experience, and any club that has the aspirations that Manchester United have need an experienced manager.

Couldnt they stick him as the A.manager to learn the trade for a year or so then let him take over from fergie

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd say that is what is going to happen bizmark...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I wouldnt worry yet , if united win the fa cup and finish second in the league it would be considered a good season if not great , if they win nothing and finish fourth in the league then you can start worrying.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Sposs
    I wouldnt worry yet , if united win the fa cup and finish second in the league it would be considered a good season if not great , if they win nothing and finish fourth in the league then you can start worrying.
    Spot on. But I wouldn't say it was a great season, that would be a huge over-statement. But good in the circumstances.

Originally posted by bizmark
    Couldnt they stick him as the A.manager to learn the trade for a year or so then let him take over from fergie

He would definitely need first hand experience of management. It's all very well managing a Youth or Reserves team, but when it comes to it, there's no real microscope on teams like that. Anyone who wants to get into management needs to cut their teeth at somewhere ( See Tony Adams currently at Wycombe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

EDIT/ on the Keane side of things, if he ever does get into management I would like to see it over the course of at least six years or more. Proving he has what it takes with underage teams. Doing a Platt earning his badges and going round other european clubs, etc. But most importantly...growing up. What he did against Porto shows that he still has prevail mentally.

I think that mentality gives him what is needed to succeed personal and it would (i think) make him a good manager after all isn’t fergie pretty much a older version of keane in terms of their mentality ?

Originally posted by smiaras
    We're dealing with sport here not business and allowing money to get ahead of the club's success will be its undoing.

it is disheartening to see fans turn against Ferguson so quickly.

Ferguson has to shoulder most of the blame for a poor choice at tactics at times but as one of the most successful British managers of all time I would respect his decisions. You can't win 'em all folks

Good call about the "sport not a business" thing, but this is not the thread to discuss that particular topic.

But your comment regarding fans turning on Ferguson is totally unfounded. The United fans on here have not turned against, quite the opposite in fact. I know myself and Muppet in this thread have supported him.

And finally your right, no-one has a divine right to win them all.
    Bruce is an ex-player far more deserving of the post at this point in time.

Excellent point.

I have to disagree with this Muppet. When Matt Busby went upstairs it was to the detriment of the managers who came afterwards. It was like he was there looking over their shoulders, and they didn't perform to their best.

I suppose so but it was still nice to have Fergie about the place as a type of father figure. Whoever replace fergie is going to live in his shadow if he's there or not and imo it would be a shame to lose his experience.

Keano will be a manager in time but Utd is too big a job for a first appointment unless as discussed he had Fergie to advise him. I too would question Keanos menatlity for man management and when you consider the style of his mentors Clough/Fergie there is no doubt he would not accept second best from his players but the effect that style would have on established players and attracting established prospective signings could work against him.

Wasn't it Errikkssonn who they had in to replace him the time he said he was gonna retire before?

Lucky escape so!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by syke
    Ah yes, the second Troll thread of the week, my aren't we starting early.

It's not a Troll thread just because you don't like it - he quoted a legitimate, well-written article and invited discussion on it, which amazingly enough for this board has remained bullshit-free for 20 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Posts have been removed from this thread to protect the innocent.

All off topicness will be squashed.

Having said all that , there is a good discussion going here. I think that Fergie will be there next season but if he has another stinker like this year, the wheels may well come off the one year rolling contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Posts have been removed from this thread to protect the innocent.

All off topicness will be squashed.

Having said all that , there is a good discussion going here. I think that Fergie will be there next season but if he has another stinker like this year, the wheels may well come off the one year rolling contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that one year rolling contract coming into effect *after* his current contract expires, ie. it doesn't come into play for another 2-3 years.

I honestly can't see him going before that. The man is an institution at Utd and I don't think there is anyone that Utd fans would want in his place (*possibly* O'Neill).
    Of course, being a PLC, the fans wishes may not mean a whole lot, but I still think even winning nothing, Utd have had a good season.

[note]Its not so much that I don't like the topic, but I saw the thread as turning into yet *ANOTHER* troll-fest, you can understand my attitude. I do agree that its surprisingly pleasent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was wondering if many Man United supporters want Fergie to go?

I hear this a lot off my friends, but they all support other teams, personally I want him to stay until he personally feels he's done.

I think hes gona stay around and try get a treble again, and then retire.
    If he doesn't get that, I think he'll leave once they get the next champions league title.

As for Keano, he scares the **** out of people and motivates them, but he just doesn't have the tactical ability of a proper manager yet.

When that guys name who I can't spelll left for Madrid my friend thought that he's gone off to real for a couple of years, and once Fergie retires he'll return to take the reigns at Man United with Keane becoming a Assisant Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

tbh i think the Keane factor - is the main reason for ManU demise.. no matter what the ManU fans say he isnt as good as he used to be... and you cant expect him to be either, he cant perform the same way week in/week out, as he doesnt have the legs...

ManU are like westlife.. great success over the years, but after Keane <mcfadden> goes they have no leader.. and i doubt they will have the same success.

just a wee joke: why can't you get a coffee at manchester united? cause all the mugs are on the pitch, and all the cups are at highbury..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think fergie will be around for another season, the only way i can see him leave in the summer is due to health grounds with his heart, however there would have to be a marked improvement next season or he may be forced out by the plc if they go through the season trophyless again, thats a big if though!
    they are still in with a good shout with the fa cup and if they can raise thier game for 90 minutes then the fa cup is all but theirs so its not as bad as people make out to be
    one thing is obvious though that the board have to release funds and not interfere with future transfers and let him buy who he wants for what he wants

Hmm maybe thats why the Duff rumour is flying out?

Duff is considered the heart and soul of Chelsea, maybe Fergie knows that Keano is going to be gone in the next couple of seasons and wants to replace him?
    Maybe he's willing to give up Ferdinand for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    tbh i think the Keane factor - is the main reason for ManU demise.. no matter what the ManU fans say he isnt as good as he used to be... and you cant expect him to be either, he cant perform the same way week in/week out, as he doesnt have the legs...

ManU are like westlife.. great success over the years, but after Keane <mcfadden> goes they have no leader.. and i doubt they will have the same success.

just a wee joke: why can't you get a coffee at manchester united? cause all the mugs are on the pitch, and all the cups are at highbury..

Ah, come on. Keane is one of the ManU players who can't be blamed for underperforming. Sure, he mightn't play the same sort of game he did when he was 25, instead he has adapted his role to be just as effective. He is still the only player you can rely on to make the difference between success and failure on the pitch.

I think Ferguson will be around until next season. Considering his success over 14 years with the club, it would be ashame if he couldn't leave on a high. The question is whether the 'transistional team' everyone talks about can make it next season. Also remember that in another 2-4 years a further transistion needs to happen - goodbye Keane, Giggs, G. Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Solskjaer.

Fair comment on the Keane Situation he is going to be difficult to replace. Keane on form brings steel to the Spine of the team and Djemba Djemba was purchased as a possible replacement but the jury is out on him. Duff would not be the solution to keanes demise as he is a totally different type of player. Miller has the engine but is a cross between Keane and Scholes and is not the answer either IMO. I expect united is on the lookout for a replacement but players like Keane are few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Genghis
    Ah, come on. Keane is one of the ManU players who can't be blamed for underperforming. Sure, he mightn't play the same sort of game he did when he was 25, instead he has adapted his role to be just as effective. He is still the only player you can rely on to make the difference between success and failure on the pitch.

I wasnt blaming him on the teams performance.. I was just stating that due to his *injury* ... he cant perform as well as ManU want and need him.

I think the whole "replace Keane" argument is flawed.

Players are not "replaceable". For example, Cantona was never "replaced". Sure, a player can come in, and do a different job, to make the departure of the player who has left seem less of a burden to carry. Sheringham is the example I am talking about. People said he would come in and play in the "Cantona Role", but he didn't. He played in the "Sheringham Role".

Just as the departure of Beckham is being blamed for the demise of the current United team performances, but I defy anyone to come up with an example of someone with the same ball distribution skills of David Beckham.

I think we can accept that every team needs a midfield tough tackler in the Keane/Vieira/Gerrard role, but each of these players brings a different aspect to the whole team, and therefore to look to replicate these attributes in another player is simple folly.

We cannot clone players, and I don't think anyone wants to. The true challenge of a great manager is his ability not to replace former greats in his team, but to build a team around the strengths of his current squad, and if needs be, to buy in players who can enhance the team in some way, and get rid of players who do not.

Alex Ferguson is a good man for this job, as I outlined previously in this thread, he let go three players in the early nineties, and was pilloried from all angles for this. The players he brought in were said to be "too young", he had lost the plot we were told. Not so, as time proved.

Once again, he has brought in new players, he is a good judge of a good player, of that their is no doubt, and time should once again show that he has made the right decisions.

Edit: This is without doubt the best thread I have ever been involved in on this forum..well done people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I can't believe people (Man U fans or not) are even thinking about getting rid of Fergie. His record speaks for itself.

Man U still have the basis of a very good side at the moment. Yes they are low on confidence, and certainly carrying some dead weight, but nothing a couple of good summer signings and some old-fashioned Fergie mind games can't fix.

Whether its been Fergie's fault or the boards, I think Man U's greatest flaw has been making do with journeymen to fill specifc roles. For example, why is Fortune played a left back? What is O'Brien's position? And who's idea was it to make Phil Neville a midfielder? Don't get me wrong, it can work at times, but as a general strategy its always going to fail at a crucial point.

In addition, Fergie has bought for the future (Bellion, Ronaldo, Djemba Djemba and Kleberson), but they are players who are totally new to the set-up at Old Trafford (and with the exception of Bellion, new to the English game), and so need time to settle in. A Man U team which has just lost the best crosser in the English game and is captained by a talisman who unfortunately needs to rest for significant periods of the season is not the place to bed those guys in, unless you are prepared to accept a defeat or two along the way.

Again returning an earlier point, I think the problem Utd have faced has been a failure to identify key positions which require strenghtening at the right time. Utd needed a striker during the last close season, but waited until the transfer window before moving for Saha. They needed a defender as cover for Ferdinand in the transfer window, but none appeared. This has gone on for a while at Utd, but Fergie has managed to make do up until now.

I suspect the board have a lot to answer for in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I am not a ManU fan but I do want to raise the point that it is possible as a manger to stay on too long!

E.g. Peter Reid at Sunderland,
    Mick McCarthy as Ireland boss.

Both of those guys could have retired 1/2 a season earlier, with their reputations stil intact.

Peter Reid decided to stay to 'turn thngs around' [/i} instad of leaving with his head held high. He stayed too long and lost a lot of the goodwill that he had genuinely earned!

Mick should have retired after the world cup, and had his choice of posts. Instead he stayed on till he was pushed, and the best job he could get was the mess Howard Wilkenson had made.

If Alex stays on till he is pushed, his reputation will be tarnished.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I can't believe people (Man U fans or not) are even thinking about getting rid of Fergie. His record speaks for itself.

i second that. i always think this talk is just aimed at firing up utd fans. utd sacking fergie is like celtic sacking o'neill, arsenal sacking arsenge wenger, it just aint gonna happen.

plus, on the off chance they did, who would replace him? who is a greater manager than fergie and can take man utd to even higher levels?

Utd are poor at the minute but a few wins and fa cup glory will quickly change people's minds. i dont believe the squad is as poor or weak as people make it out to be. one big defender and midfielder would make is stronger than arsenal imo, ie nesta/balde and vieira/zidane (not that we've a hope in hell of geting them, just examples).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

How many man united fans out there do you think will be happy with only the FA cup (if even that). Not too many that I know will be. Anybody knopw when Fergies rolling contract begins ?

BTW the most important thing we all have to remember about records is that they are in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Xterminator
    I am not a ManU fan but I do want to raise the point that it is possible as a manger to stay on too long!

E.g. Peter Reid at Sunderland,
    Mick McCarthy as Ireland boss.

A much better example is Clough at forest. Old Brian was even more succesfull than fergie (on the european stage anyway) and was a legend at forest. 2 european cups and yet he was allowed to stay on WELL past his sell by date to try and fulfill his ambition of winning the league and got the team relegated.

Personally I dont think that fergie will go unless its for health reasons but i think he must take his fair share of blame for this season. He was naive in the transfer market (the board would be involved in that tho) and his team selections have been a little curious.

I doubt his ability to create another great team and even if he does, the possibility is that it might pale slightly in comparison to the other big two in england currently.

The dream for us ABUs of course is that this ISNT just a blip and it is the start of a slide and with a bit of luck he'll go totally nuts and be let stay on chasing a treble that will never happen and get them relegated :) That may be a little too much to hope for though (It would be a distinct possibility though if he were allowed to stay on upstairs - History has shown that is a disaster waiting to happen)

But records are the only real way you can judge a managers ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What David Gill has to say

Interesting the bit where he says
    On the decision not to bring in another defender, he continued: "There was no point bringing in a player as a stop-gap measure, we would have wanted someone good enough to play in the Champions League and they are few and far between.

I mean come on they could have signed someone better than Brown!!

He also said:
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time we felt it was the right decision

When I see that, I'm more inclined to think he means "we've got away with making do until now, so why change the habit of a lifetime?"

• Advertisement

Its wierd the board have had their ups and downs, they've stood faithfully by Rio paying his astronomical wages but won't take out the chequebook for players.

The board had no option but to continue to pay Rio's wages, had they not a £30 million pound player would have been untitled to walk away for free from the club under FIFA regulations.

I would also blame the board for not securing Uniteds targets last summer and indeed lately as well, my understanding of the setup at united is that fergie tells the board who he wants and they do the negotiations so to blame fergie if they fail to get the player to sign is wide of the mark.

Of course the board is under contract to pay Ferdinands wages, if they didn't he could have them on a breach of contract and go to Chelsea for nothing right now, rather than have romour and intrigue for the duration of next summer :-)

I think Muppet has it right about the transfer policy at united. Good Sir Knight identifies the targets, and the board negotiate the terms and conditions.

It is time that the board stopped being so miserly when it comes to paying for players though, because with Chelsea being the major players now, United have to compete, or they will be a team in transition for a great many more years.

It will become harder to attract players to Manchester now too, with a London club prepared to break the bank for fees and wages now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Not to mention the implication of any such disiplinary actions for the chance (however slim) of Ferdinand's appeal being sucessful to any extent.

As I understand it United could have been stingy and disciplined the player if they had wanted, Rio would have been understandably upset and handed in a transfer request but still that is not to say that wages could not have been deducted.

They have to keep paying his wages as they have given him their full support. They can hardly say 'oh yes we are 100% behind him' and then deduct his wages as that implies that they aren't 100% behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I could have sworn when I read Aertel this morning, one of the soccer headlines said "Man U Board sack Fergie".

almost choked on my cereal.

turned out it said BACK Fergie.

silly me.

Ah, the dreaded vote of confidence then? ;)

Advertisement