Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes PAL

Options
  • 15-03-2004 10:57am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Got it on Friday and have to say I'm loving it as much as I loved the original 6 years ago.

The game has exactly the same story as the first game with minor changes to the dialogue to de-cheese it (the first encounter with sniper wolf is far less cringeworthy). The game structure is very similar also. All the environments are exactly the same with some small changes that are hardly noticable. However the gameplay is much closer to MGS2 than the first game. The enemies are far smarterand call in an assault squad when you get caught. The only problem I have with it is that the z button is used for first person mode and it can be a bit fiddly since it needs to be pressed quite hard. Some of the boss fights have been changed slightly. Psycho mantis's fight is now more interesting, the tank is a lot harder and Vulcan Raven is no longer a complete pushover. However I was very disappointed in the ninja fight which is a bit of a joke since its so easy.

The graphics are absolutely gorgeous. It even has shaders. The environments now look a lot more realistic now. However the framerate is not constant which annoys a little.

The biggest change is the cinematics. They are much more stylish now but I have mixed feelings about them. Some of the cinematics are really over the top and rediculous while some are far better. My friend commented that snake is like a super soldier in the cutscenes, dodging bullets and everything, but in the game he is a real weed and gets beat up regularly by assault squads. I prefer the old cinematics (however the ninja is infinitely cooler).

So should you buy this game considering you probably paid for it 6 years ago. Well if you haven't played MGS before then definitely get this game. If you have played it then you have to ask yourself how much money you have to waste and if you want to play the game again. Remember it is one of the best games ever. In my opinion if you have the money buy it. Its worth playing again even if it is extremely short.

The PAL version has no 60hz mode or widescreen mode but the 50 hz mode has no PAL lines. So a perfect PAL conversion :D but no widescreen :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

sounds cool, but i'm still dying to play snake eater :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Where did you manage to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Whats this? Is this the new one? or something different

Remake of ps1 metal gear on gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Whered ye get it from

Shin

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Id love to know too, he must have imported, earliest i can find it is 26th march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

One of retro's friends works for konami so he usually gets games before release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What clownboy said. I get the Konami PAL games early since I know someone from Konami. I usually get the games when the review copies are sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

thats a cool contact to have retr0

so why is it called twin snakes...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

RobertFoster, there's no way to explain that withou spoiling some of the story...
    your nemesis in the game is solid snake's twin, liquid snake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ah, I knew that but didn't think of it... :D

Advertisement