Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thursday March 18th - SIPTU calls off bus and rail stoppage

• 15-03-2004 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

SO what's the latest on this?....will I be able to get to work thurday morning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

looks like the strike is going ahead :(

i commute from laois everyday so.......trying to decide what to do.....my boss is off for the week....so too is her boss......the guys in the group told me to go for it.....take the day off and say nothing.....work wise i am up to date......morally.....i would be inconsolable for 5 mins but i would get over it......what do you think?

--laoisfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lowlands

Excuse my ignorance, but reading the Independent I understand that the fire-service is the cause of the Dublin Airport closure on Thursday?
    But Mr O'Leary added that the government was looking at "the wrong option", and called for the fire brigade or the army to be drafted in to operate Dublin Airport's fire tenders, enabling it to stay open for flights.

What has the fire brigade to do with Transportation issues? Or if not what is the strike all about?

I am lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the airport has its own fire service...

the airport fire crews must be part of SIPTU, hence they are going on strike on Thursday to protest at the proposed breakup of Aer Rianta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

is it true that one of the reasons....i am sure there are several.....that CIE are going on strike is "They want their jobs for life" ?

does not not see so ****e?

--laoisfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lowlands

So 99% of Aer Rianta does want to work on Thursday, but a few fire fighters are gonna prevent us from flying from Dublin? Stupid Unions.

What do they do all day anyway? Wait for a fire? Wash the trucks with union approved soap?
    Maybe RyanAir can take over the service, let them do something useful while waiting for a fire. Like do the catering for the planes, so they can at least see a plane up close. (ok I'm being silly again, but this really annoys me)

Back on topic: I still don't know if I'll be able to fly out of Dublin on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Actually all Siptu employees of Aer Rianta will be going on strike it's simply that the airport cannot function for obvious safety reasons without fire cover. This effectively shuts the airport down as takeoffs/landings cannot be permitted without this cover.

You can still be checked in etc. etc. etc. by whatever airline but while the fire brigade et all are out no planes are going anywhere :(

You'll find out for certain in the morning if O'Learys high court action is succesfull and if not you should call the airline to see if you change to another flight before/after the strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

SIPTU has confirmed that strike action planned for Thursday at Dublin, Shannon and Cork Airports has been suspended following assurances received from the Taoiseach.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0316/siptu.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Fingers crossed now that the bus and rail strike is similarly averted ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Here it is again:
    SIPTU calls off planned strike
    16/03/2004 - 10:52:41 AM

SIPTU has called off its planned six-hour airport stoppage after the intervention of the Taoiseach, it was reported today.

The union’s members at Aer Rianta were due to down tools for six hours on Thursday in protest at the lack of meaningful talks on the Government’s plan to break the company into three, competing entities.

However, SIPTU president Jack O’Connor received assurances from the Taoiseach in a letter last night and the union apparently decided this morning to call off the planned stoppage.

The cancellation came as the High Court prepared to hear an action taken by Ryanair in an effort to prevent the strike from going ahead.

SIPTU’s solicitors told the court that the stoppage would be called off on foot of a letter received late last night from the Taoiseach’s department.

Despite the cancellation of the airport stoppage, SIPTU members at CIE are expected to press ahead with their planned 24-hour stoppage on Thursday in protest at the slow pace of talks on the Government’s plan to also break that company into three, competing firms.

From BreakingNews.ie

Im quite happy they have decided not to stike at the airport now. It would have been a disaster. City is bad enough with the bus and rail strike as it is. Hopefully that will be averted but i strongly doubt it will be. There are still Nightlinks Sunday night though isint there? I remeber RTE saying on the news last week that Nightlink services wouldnt be affected. Not too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Perhaps you mean nightlinks on Paddys Night, not Sunday? If you do, I don't know, though I did hear there is a full nightlink service tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0317/siptu.html
    SIPTU calls off bus and rail stoppage
    March 17, 2004

(20:19) SIPTU general officers have directed that tomorrow's planned one-day stoppage to bus and rail services be called off, after lengthy debate at a meeting of the union's strike committee at Liberty Hall.

The committee's view was that the letter from the Taoiseach that the union received on Monday night was not a meaningful intervention.

However, the general officers took a different view and directed that the actions be called off under the union's rule 169.

The planned stoppage at Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus and Iarnród Éireann was due to begin at midnight.

The Minister for Transport, Séamus Brennan, had earlier called for a quick decision by SIPTU on the stoppage.

Speaking earlier today on RTÉ Radio, Mr Brennan said if the union decided to proceed with the action, the public needed to know as soon as possible in order to make alternative transport arrangements.

Mr Brennan said progress was being made in talks between the Government and unions and that there was no justification for a bus and rail strike.

Mr Brennan welcomed SIPTU's decision yesterday not to proceed with a planned six-hour stoppage tomorrow at Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports.

The minister also said most of the financial information being sought by the unions would probably be made available in the next fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Hmmm
    had the day off and was looking forward to it

now it looks like I'll have to go in

wish those guys would have the courage of their convictions and strike when they say they are going to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm conviently going to have to be late for my educational start because how would i know that the strike was called off ;)

Advertisement