Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dumb carnival shuts city traffic down today

• 15-03-2004 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Custom House Quay. madness.

I think the person who approved this should be made account
    for their stupidity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

here here!!

i second that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's what it is.....

N4 inbound and Chapelizod were both backed up to Palmerstown on my way in this morning. All other routes were moving more freely than normal.

Absolutely no warning whatsoever. Still "jobs for the lads" in Dublin City Council I see... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think the person responsible for the decision was Owen Keegan. He was on Newstalk this morning, 'explaining' the decision. TBH he came across a little bit foolish. He said:

- They advertised the proposed closure, and received no objections
    - They have closed the same section for a number of years now
    - They had hoped more people would take a couple of days off before StPD
    - Things had not turned out 'as they hoped'
    - They will look in to moving it before tomorrow o avoid further disruption

The funfair in question is a commercial operation, though one that contributes to the overall coffers of the St Patricks Festival.

I can't see them being able to move it or in any other way avoid the congestion tomorrow.

This is going to be one fun week for commuters - Mon, Tues - disruption on North Quays gridlocking the entire city centre, Wed - bank holiday / though anyone travelling to work / parade will face disruption everywhere, Thursday - public transport strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

it's lunchtime and from where I sit, I can see the city backed up still since the morning rush.

Owen Keegan doesn't solve the traffic problem. He is the problem.

Dublin would be better off without a traffic section !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Can't understand what the fuss is about. St. Patricks Day Festival is a week long street festival so one would expect some level of traffic delays and disruption. Traffic was heavy this morning because of these closures and I noticed that my journey was about 15 minutes longer than normal. No doubt the roadworks around Beresford Place contributed to the extra delay.

I have to laugh when I hear mcwilliams giving Keegan a grilling (and keegan did come over badly) on this issue when at most people were facing a 15-30 minute delay over their normal commute. Yet on Thursday we will have a high rate of absenteeism amongst workers who over indulged the day before and not forgetting company directors who decided to make a long weekend of it.

Now that people have remembered the week that is in it, the simplist way to avoid a repetition of today is to get up earlier! Owen Keegan is not the nub of this problem. If we are going to have stret festivals in a living city, you have to live with the side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

whgat's phantomfm ?

is that a pirate radio station ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by BrianD
    I have to laugh when I hear mcwilliams giving Keegan a grilling (and keegan did come over badly) on this issue when at most people were facing a 15-30 minute delay over their normal commute.

That show has a very strong 'anti-congestion' agenda, the slightest inkling of a delay and they are off!

Listening to McWilliams, I get the impression that they are just waiting to report the next catastrophe. I often think it would be fun to manufacture traffic situations - get say 4 or 5 people to text in that a loose bull is causing problems on Stephens Green (or some such ridiculous story), all within a couple of minutes of each other, and I betcha they'd read it out unverified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Due to Owen Keegan's The Mis-Director of Traffic incompetence / amateurism the emergency services were for no good reason, dangerously slowed down in town.

With heart attack victims seconds save live. Ambulances were delayed thru' town. DCC's traffic engineers appear to have a fundamental lack of joined up thinking by creating traffic jams not only do they hit the economy they cost lives. Of course these amateurs put speed ramps along Nutley lane (ST.Vincent's hospital)

Can you imagine if we had a terrorist incident vis-a-vis Spain and the city centre needed to be cleared pronto!

It's about time he resigned, too many blunders have happened due to the lack of management skills and professionalism. Amateur civil servants should not be in charge of major issues like Dublin's traffic control. In fact he gives hard working civil servants a bad name.

Bee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

hard working civil servants
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Carnival on Custom House Quay disapeared overnight. A pity, it really demonstrated how small minded Dubliners are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

It's been put back up tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

For some reason I am reminded of a comment from one of the Wood Quay protestors in the 1970s - I'm paraphrasing..

"Why don't they drop a one megaton atomic bomb over the city to clear a one mile square area to tarmac over, and then they (car advocates and house demolishers) will be happy"

Advertisement