Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ethernet installation question.

• 15-03-2004 1:43pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Stupid question time---Rather than a USB slot on a BB connection how would you go about using an ethernet card.I
    s it a matter of installing a 10/100 card in a spare pci slot and connect the supplied modem to that instead of a USB slot????
    Which protocols have to be installed in "networking" to use a 10/100 card with Eircom BB.All thats there at the minute is Dial up adapter-Tcp/ip and microsoft family logon.
    When I install the card will the protocols automatically be installed with it?

Thanks
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Is it a matter of installing a 10/100 card in a spare pci slot and connect the supplied modem to that instead of a USB slot????
    Yup, that's all you gotta do
    Which protocols have to be installed in "networking" to use a 10/100 card with Eircom BB.All thats there at the minute is Dial up adapter-Tcp/ip and microsoft family logon
    It just needs TCP/IP. If you got your OS within the last 20 years you should already have this set up. You can set it to automatically detect the settings, and then you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ethernet cards slot into a spear pci slot its as simple as changing a graphic card they use the normal tcp/ip protocol the modem connects to the Ethernet card using a Rj-45 cable (Ethernet cable)

notting hard about it m8
    some cards

Eircom supply's every thing else with the self install pack i think
    modem
    Installation CD
    ADSL filter.
    RJ-45 ethernet cables.
    Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

is it possible to have the dsl on two seperate PCs one using the usb and one using the ethernet slot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by Metallicababe
    is it possible to have the dsl on two seperate PCs one using the usb and one using the ethernet slot?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i would suppose it would be easy stuff for someone who sets up networks for a living but i dunno why they dont make it 10 times easier and give everyone the same usb modems i mean the thing i got is like a router grand and easy for me to install but not to easy for a starter and the other thing my exchange is so slow at updating the line i have been waiting for ever waiting for my dsl sync to be lit up ...... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My Modem wont work with my PC (win98se) so I'm now awaiting an ethernet connection...so glad I read this thread. Sounds a lot easier as far as potential OS probs are concerned.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Your not wrong there Mike...

The ethernet is just standard windows software with a network driver for the card.

The USB option is generally a software driver that emulates a network connection on the USB port.

Lots less to go wrong with the ethernet option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 XcellorV2

Yeah kick the USB ;P it's a loada problems. Even though I got it installed on occasions it would just cut off... I thought it was a problem with DSL line but when I couldnt ping the router I got suspicious....

Go with 10/100mbs all the way!!!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...all of which provokes the obvious question...why use a USB modem if ethernet is idiot OS proof?

Maybe the ISPs should specify ethernet as standard hardware and USB as an option.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by mike65
    ...all of which provokes the obvious question...why use a USB modem if ethernet is idiot OS proof?
    Because 99.9% of all PCs built in the last 4 or 5 years have a USB port. Ethernet ports aren't "standard" on your average home PC (unfortunately).
    Maybe the ISPs should specify ethernet as standard hardware and USB as an option.
    ISPs are increasingly offering hardware that supports both USB and Ethernet, at least in part because the market for conncting an X-Box or PS-2 as well as a PC is looking increasinly attractive. If you get connected with either IOL or eircom, you are provided with a "modem" that allows you to use either USB or ethernet, whichever suits you best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement