Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam

Options
  • 15-03-2004 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure of the extact release date but play.com have it instock now for €45. Where are you getting your copy from? Have to say i haven't bought myself a pc game in a while but i'm going to pick this up

€45 didn't seem that cheap to me i thought it would be in town for €50 or so anyone have any definite figures on this?

data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'm gonna install tonight and give it a go (single player - no broadband). Have to wait for a lan party for some good multiplayer. Let you know 2moro what I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

my friend has it ordered in smyths which i might add are great for games
    also try the game stores around the country they're great 2
    im sure it'd be about 40 - 45
    is it a new game or just an add on

either way im sure it'll be great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Senor_Fudge
    also try the game stores around the country they're great 2
    Dont go near Game with a pointy stick, was in there a while ago and SOul Caliber 2 is STILL £40 (sterling, not euro), decided to look on gameplay and saved myself a nice £5.

its whole new standalone game. reviews suggest it'll be very cool, more of the same from bf1942, improved graphics (higher system requirements etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

so its out now in stores - I thought it wouldnt hit the shelves until thur or fri even! no probs I'm headin to Belfast the morra night for a 2 day bender for ST. Paddys day so I think I'll wander drunkenly into a PC store and pick this puppy up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm pretty definate its not out till Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

any reviews banging around the net ?

i'd say it isn't for sale till Friday alright. America tommorrow. Already on sale in brazil and probably other places.

Originally posted by bizmark

http://www.gamespy.com/pc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

See this thread on Battlefield Vietnam for a stupid amount of Pictures, Interviews, Videos' and Reviews.

As for the release date. Battlefield Vietnam is Officially scheduled for release THIS Friday [19.03.04]. See the sig. The US Version is being released on the 16th.

I will be heading into Gamestop at 9am Friday morning in order to get mine. Gamestop are one of the few retailers who will be selling the 'special edition' which features a CD of the music tracks featured ingame. Yea im a BF addict.

So, officially its out on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

from that review i've read the soundtrack is real good might pick up the special edition myself. don't think i'll be getting it at 9 in the morning though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Play posted out my pre-ordered copy yesterday (monday) morning. Should be here thursday or friday \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Play posted out my pre-ordered copy yesterday (monday) morning. Should be here thursday or friday \o/

likewise.....lets see who gets it first Moriarty...altough IM OOTO thurs and fri so mine will be there monday.I hope! play used to take about 2 weeks but thwey have been so brilliant over the last lil while...that the time of delivery has been cut down to about 4 days.

Right so - I played some single player missions last night. First impressions were that it didn't grab me in the same way 1942 initially did - but that was probably to be expected. I was playing at 1152x864 on full details - it looked really nice. The models for the people have improved - smoother. The gun models are very nice. Although the vehicle models are good - maybe they could've been better. Soundtrack is wonderful - as I'm sure you've heard - really sets the tone. Load times are similar to 1942 - so no complaints. The jet fighters are very hard to pilot. Oh - one noticeable bug - sometimes enemies get into a jeep or something and just sit there and do nothing. Can't think of anything else right now. Looking forward to lanning it up a notch..... now onto farc cry ;-)

hey dav hows the heilos ?

do you mean the helicopters? (i'll assume yes). They're cool - easier to fly than the jets. But more easily shot down too. It's really cool taking a ride with someone else in a helicopter - taking the side machine gun and tearing through charlie! :-) There's a couple of different helicopters - haven't played with them all - just the one with the teeth painted on the front.

Another thing I remembered - when you're on the ground and a plane drops a bomb on something it just looks awesome - napalm bomb.

i want this game now :(

i want this game now :(

i want a room with about 16 mates in it playing this now. You can pick up jeeps and tanks with a tow rope on the helicopters (haven't triedx this yet). How much fun would that be at a lan party. Fire a few missiles from the helicopter into a vietnamese camp, side gunner in the helicopterpicks of a few strays, then you drop the jeep with a passenger and tailgunner. Who burst on in for clean-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

*rings up the supply company and demands arrival of his ordered goods :D*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

I got a copy from a friend yesterday and I have to say I loved it at first, then I found it a little boring - the menu's and music etc are really good, and set the tone nicely. The grass and tree's are really well done, you can be lying down in the grass and someone could walk right past you and not know you were there. There are some great new weapons which were needed to change the close combat a bit - great bouncing betty bombs, stick bombs, timers etc slightly better sniper rifles and not if you pick the guy with the rockets\stingers he also gets an m60! and i love the helicopters watching the lads stand on the side is class.

I still think DC wins, but I'll not leave Vietnam just yet - have to give it a fair shot. The DC version of it should be good...

I hope the MP has a better felling to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Apperantly the Pattons can fire when they are attatched to the huey. So you're flying along with a 105mm gun hanging from the bottom of a helicoptor. Sounds like a poor man's AC-130 :-)

Play.com shipped mine last night, hopefully it'll arrive by Friday, though I somehow doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I could swear there was a thread somewhere around here that had verged into talking about landing quickly... but i can't for the life of me find it. It seems like I've finally lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Where have you guys got a copy from? I was in Game last friday and they still didnt know when they were getting copies.

Originally posted by TheGreatOne
    Where have you guys got a copy from? I was in Game last friday and they still didnt know when they were getting copies.

Officially it is not going to be released till Friday the 19th. It was launched in the states today 16th and Brazil/Sount America last week or so [12th I think]. There may be illegal copies already floating aorund by now which some people may have got their hands on. Although more then likly if you know someone working in a game shop such as GAME or GAMESTOP etc. you might be able to get them give you a copy early.

Eitherway, its out here in the shops on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

GreatOne - as the saying goes "I know some people, who know some people, who rob some people...." -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

GreatOne - as the saying goes "I know some people, who know some people, who rob some people...." -

yup played it too, and................. Its over all brillant the AI is the most impressive aspect its soo hard and it actually has a mind , as a opposed to the mindless bots in bf. Levels are huge, the new menu system takes a little getting used to, and for some reason the American Forces dont use the American flag,the use the South Viet Forces flag. but all in all very good, the music is brillant !!!

But......................

this is one of my gripes the chopper controls are terrible, really designed for someone who has no clue, the choppers are way slower and completely unresponsive, the Anti Aircraft Missles that the VC use end chopper domination VERY quickly!

All in all very good game, one, people will enjoy, (besides from the crappy chopper controls)

wtf is it released in places like south america first and not the massively richer EU (or just uk/ireland)

Reason being possible the more localisation that has to be done.

For America [north and South] there is three main languages. English, Spanish and Portugeese.

For places like Europe there are many more languages to have to translate. English, Spanish, Portugeese, German, French, Italian, Swedish ... etc. Takes a bit longer I suppose. Although I still dont understand why it came out in Brazil first before the US/EU. It might just be an EA thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I could DL it, but I want it for the multiplayer mainly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

How much higher specs do you need to run this than BF9142. Call of Duty runs ok on my machine, so should this be ok for Vietnam?

Advertisement