Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i think you need a 1.2 ghz 256meg ram geforce 3 pc

Mine should just about play it

2600xp
    512meg
    geforce 5900 (well 5200 right now my other card needs to be replaced/repaired)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i still think more ram would be nice we'll see how it runs XP is a bit of a ram hog anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I've got an Athlon 1800, 512 RAM and I've no idea what graphics card I've got, but it stands up to call of duty as I say... Bugger, hope it works ok, otherwise upgrades will be needed... I'm not missing out on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

This is from the readme file :

Minimum:
    933 Mhz CPU
    Directx 9.0b
    3D accelerated GeForce3 64 MB or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
    256 Megabytes of RAM
    2 GB free hard drive space
    (additional space required for Windows swap-file and
    DirectX 9.0b installation)
    16x CD-ROM drive
    Directx 9.0b Compatible Sound Card
    MS compatible mouse
    Keyboard

Recommended:
    1.2 Ghz CPU
    Directx 9.0b
    3D accelerated GeForce3 64 MB or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
    512 Megabytes of RAM
    16x CD-ROM drive
    MS compatible mouse
    Keyboard

Recommended for optimum performance:
    2.0 Ghz CPU
    Directx 9.0b
    Geforce 4 128 MB (Not MX) or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
    512 Megabytes of RAM
    16x CD-ROM drive
    MS compatible mouse
    Keyboard

Required Operating Systems:
    Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP or Windows 2000

Not Supported:
    Windows 95
    Directx9.0a and previous versions.

Iv been playing it since the weekend and i find the maps take a while to get used to, but other than that it's still the battlefield we all know and love.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

How did you get your hands on it?
    I'm wetting myself trying to wait till Friday.

I really need to get money together to upgrade my graphics card. Its the only downside to this here box of mine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

How did you get your hands on it? I'm wetting myself trying to wait till Friday. I really need to get money together to upgrade my graphics card. Its the only downside to this here box of mine,

Ahem, eh, well lets just say i know someone who knows someone , actually me and Shinzon played it , he loved the the same things as myself, but im sorry i HATE the new chopper controls, or how they act in the air its like flying a bus with wings. But your probably going to create salty cream between your legs when you use the anti aircraft missles.

SPOILER !!!!!! ALERT DONT LOOK DOWN AND READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO !!!

The Vietcong Troops have booby (boobies! :D ) traps in the form of pikes which are deadly! plant them in the ground and watch the Poor Enemy get impailed on em!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by magick
    . But your probably going to create salty cream between your legs

(boobies! :D )

Watch it mate, or there'll be bannings ;)
    (esp for those who have played vietnam before me)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Im pretty much a Battlefield noob but after playing Vietnam im hooked! Cruiseing up the river in a gun boat blazing away at anything that moves rocks ;)

The chopper is a bitch to fly. I took off and got a few hundred meters before planting it firmly in to the jungle in a nice fireball....

Cant wait to play a big LAN match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 [fi]Gremlin

I have to agree with magick on this one, desert combat is legendarily know for its chopper controls absolute genius. Dont get me wrong but theres kinda a console feeling to the flight in vietnam although i have to compliment the makers on the realistic feel when you are plowing down people in the battlefield either with a gun or a crazy little scooter :D. All in all i give it the thumbs up and im sure lots of ppl will

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

nah
    chopper controls in dc are really great, Vietnam is a dissapointment, the choppers fly far to easily and because of this they lose a lot of their joy. Also heatseaking stingers mean yet more of the skill is out the window. This makes the game easier to pick up and play and forget about. Time to play dc again me thinks. Oh an once again the AI is as stupid as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Keyser Soze

Why has no one commented on probably the best part of the game, THE MUSIC.
    Really makes the game with 70's classics all the way through, especially White Rabbit.
    The Khe Sanh level is pretty mad with a Good Morning Vietnam commentry running all the time as you are trying to defend the base.
    Oh yeah, game is pretty good too....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

20040317l.jpg

70's classics all the way through, especially White Rabbit

Hmm, wrong decade methinks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

very nice game. Love the music. Smaug refuses to get into a chopper with ya until the music has been turned on :) 0+o is a favourite.

One thing tho. If you're having load problems, turn of your firewall ;) Mine went completely tits up yesterday and hadn't a clue what was goin on til there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Out if interest how do the choppers fly as in what are the controls? Same as EOD or the choppers in SWOW? I knew the choppers would be a dissapointment after DC...

Arse... not in the post today. It'd better arrive tomorrow or there'll be trouble. Or sulking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    Out if interest how do the choppers fly as in what are the controls? Same as EOD or the choppers in SWOW? I knew the choppers would be a dissapointment after DC...

It's not as hard as those sob's make it out ,basically i use w,s,a,d w= rise / s= lower / a=rotate left / d=rotate right, and the mouse is used to change the pitch of the helli.I was playing a few multiplayer games last night and i was giving charles a good beating in the assault chopper.

CombatCow

Its not that the controls are silly. Its that they are correct.

The controls used in DesertCombat are just modified plane controls. They are not in any way helicopter controls. Hence the reason people find it so hard. You cannot actually make moves with choppers in DC like yo can in real life. It is a pure skil to master. It is near impossible to hover and if you do even hover you cannot slide left and right as you can in a real chopper.

I belive the controls in BF:V allow you to do all this, and thus creating real chopper controls. Although I cannot say too much as i still dont have the game until tomorrow. People just are saying its easy as its flying using more realistic helicopter controls then just moodified plane controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

i called a game store today and they told me they have it in stock but arent releasing it until tommorow...why the feck is that...it seems other places are sellin it a day or 2 early...

Originally posted by Instant Karma
    i called a game store today and they told me they have it in stock but arent releasing it until tommorow...why the feck is that...it seems other places are sellin it a day or 2 early...

Yeah, I remember this happening with a couple of other games, that they were on sale a day ofr two early.

Gonna go in after work and chance my arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

no you see everybody downloaded it off the internet before it was out. tut tut tut

I know, just my 56k Dial up doesn't support large-a-downloading. Even if it did as a mod of this board which doesn't support the illegal downloading of games I'd wait till tomorrow like a good little chap and purchase it for the full price.

My search tonight proved fruitless.

I very nearly got it in game, I walked right by all the shelve copies which all had a big sticker saying "Out This Friday!" and up to the counter. Asked the guy did they have it in stock, he looked confused and rummaged around in a box behind the couter. "Ah, here it is, €45 please". Gleefully I hand over my cash and he hands me the game, I'm about to do a legger when the dude working the other till said "Oh Steve wait, that game isn't on sale till tomorrow". With that the game was snatched from my hand.

Went to GameStop with a similar strategy. Was seved by a guy who looked ;ike he was on transition year work experience. He looked bewildered and checked the computer. "No sorry" he said "We wont have any in stock for about 2 or 3 weeks" :confused: "Try Dixons, they should have it". Since when the hell have dixons been known for their excellent pc selection.

*sigh* Tomorrow morning so, with the rest of the plebs :)

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    "Ah, here it is, €45 please"

thats a good sign if it only €45 in game thats the same as play.com. i wonder how much that special edition one winters mentioned that game stop have will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

well game were nice enough to reserve a copy for me so off I go on an eighty odd mile round trip tommorow morning to get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

well game were nice enough to reserve a copy for me so off I go on an eighty odd mile round trip tommorow morning to get it.

LOL same here Karma :)

I must say a little doubt has been cast in my mind ,ive just come from a few servers [dod,cod,BF,] and a few guys said they have it and are telling me not to waste my money.
    I been really looking forward to this game ,i hope they are wrong.

btw Thanks a lot Karma i got FH disc today ,much appreciated.

well i can't be any worse could it? so even if there is a few improvements and it looks real nice that would do me and if they real a dc mod based on it then happy days

I was the same, considering every game I've been looking forward to for the past 4 years has ben a huge disappointment :(

But this will be different :)

Was going to make a new thread of this but insted am going to throw it in here. This is a fix that will help any lag issues in lower spec machines. It seems that in machines with low spec sound cards a bit og lag can be caused with the amount of sounds being loaded/run. All this patch does is add the line "Game.soundbuffersize 400", inside the /settings/default.com file, which will buffer the amount of sounds being run and increase performance. For anyone who is having lag problems and has a low spec soundcard/rig it might be worth an install.

» Unofficial BF: Vietnam Sound Lag Fix (500kb) [ FPScentral ]

Also a last interview for Battlefield: Vietnam, this one a postmortem from Gamespy. Take a read of it here if you are bored in work and waiting to go home and play ... this means you Jim ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If someone has that fix cud they host it somewhere. The link on that site seems to be dead...

[edit]
    nm. worked after a long wait. Thanks Winters.
    [\edit]

• Advertisement

F@ck it, no BF Vietnam in the post for me today. Sigh, was looking forward to a good weekend's mayhem.

Advertisement