Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Arrived this morning. I shall be frequenting the server this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

no sign of mine yet!

not a happy bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Arrived this morning. I shall be frequenting the server this evening

No Vietnam in the post for me this morning.. FFS! and a postal strike looming to boot....

Next time I'll just shell out and buy in Game methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

there wasn't much shelling out though in game as it was only €45, which is about the same as what play.com where charging

about the same as what play.com where charging

Which makes it all the more galling. Didn't they used to charge about E60 for games? I'm sure there used to be a good reason for getting stuff from play.com...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'm sure in some cases play.com are cheaper, perhaps for ps2 games and stuff like that, but even if game where charging €50 like gamestop and play.com where charging €45, i'd still rather just pick it up on my way thru town and pay the extra fiver then this will it won't it come thing.

i'd still rather just pick it up on my way thru town and pay the extra fiver then this will it won't it come thing.

Indeed.

Arrived in the post this morning... phew.

Unlike the Mini DV Camcorder that I ordered from the UK... was supposed to be delivered by the courier company, phoned them up and they said, no can't find it. They asked what it was, on being told it was a camcorder the guy went "ah, well that'll be gone so... I'll fill inthe claim forms for you and you should get a new one in the post"... in other words he knew what thieving knacks the guys who work for him are. Unbe-f@cking-lievable.

If anyone wants the name of the courier, so as not to use them, PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Originally posted by magpie
    Arrived in the post this morning... phew.

welcome to the 'nam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

The sooner EA get off their asses and patch this bad boy the better. Choppers handle terribly, i dont know if its worse using the mouse or the keys to fly the damn things, either way sucks!(And don't tell me its "REALISTIC" that b.s)
    You cant toggle crouch(pain inthe ass), bots are rediculously stupid, tanks blow up after like 3 bullets being shot at it! Shal I go on..?
    Apart from all the patchable crap, the gameplay rocks on mulitplay, although I seem to die with far fewer bullets than anybody else. If EA fix the bugs, 10/10 for B.F Vietnam.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is anything wrong with the chopper dynamics..maybe its because you are using keys and mouse...I flew like that with the planes in bf but I upgraded to a stick for bfv and I have to say works a dream, much better than the DC choppers.

a tip for the crouch thing..if you have a mouse with a few extra buttons bind one..probably easiest the left one to be crouch ...I find this helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

ok, admittidly the toggleing of crouch might be very useful. Possibly a option that should be introduced in the controls menu. Turn off and on toggleing. Although the one thing is you arnt crouching for very long, your usually crouching to shoot off a few rounds then back up on your feet and running around. Thats probably the reason for not introducing it. So much moving and running involved in the levels.

On the Chopper Controls, they are a dream with a stick as Instant Karma pointed out. I find it easier to control choppers with the stick over the keyboard/mouse for the pure reason of it actually feels like your holding it and controlling it more. Invest in a good stick if you want to get handy with the controls. I have myself a Microsoft Sidewinder Percision 2, very nice stick.

Also the Chopper controls are perfect if a bit sluggish. I dont see how they could get better. I was reading a thread on the Official BFV boards where a guy wanted the ability to look out the chopper window when lowering the chain so you can see below properly. He himself is an actual chopper piolt and was complementing on the controls being just as they actually are, if even as I said a bit sluggish. One i increase the sensitivity of my flight controls I should be even more of a badmofo on the choppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

courier turned up with 2 shiny copies of it there, installed it on a work machine and were having a right larf. Will be back home later and give it a go online.

I feel all weird having bought a game!

Well I haven't tried flying with a stick yet, so ill give that a go! Do i need to change any settings or just pick it up and get flying?

Originally posted by TheGreatOne
    Well I haven't tried flying with a stick yet, so ill give that a go! Do i need to change any settings or just pick it up and get flying?

you will have to set up your 'air' controls using the joystick. just highlight in the menu and move the joystick ie. pitch up/down - forward back, roll left/right - left and right...you may want to bind other keys for the rudder and if you plan on buying a stick go for one with a throttle.

Thanks 4 dat! Dunno if u can help me wit another Q. Im pretty new to online gaming (got BB bout 2 months ago) so i dunno wot any of the irish servers are called and how to get on to them. What name do i look for in the select server window in Vietnam. Id prefer to play wit irish gamers instead of these bent yanks ive been stuck wit, better craic!(prob get better ping too)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Get The All Seeing Eye and use it to connect to servers. Much easier to organise your games when you connect to online games :)

Started installing the game at about 8.00.. it's now 10.15 and only 69% Was it this painfully slow for anyone else, or is my CD drive shagged?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

took me a few min's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just been playing it there all evening and I have to say I FORKING LOVE IT! Some minor things that are a tad annoying but aaprt from them it runs like a dream. So nice to be listening to some great songs whilst hurtling along in a jet or in a jeep.

• Advertisement

Right, I've tried to install this mother about 6 times now, the furthest I've got is about 80%

Things that happen:

1) It says 'unable to find file X. Disc in drive D is wrong media' halway through loading files from one of the 3 discs.

2) It randomly pops up a box saying 'are you sure you want to quit this installation?'

3) It randomly pops up a bix saying 'Wrong Disc: Please insert disc 1' and when you do it restarts the install from scratch.

Any ideas? It's driving me farging nuts.

I will try the 'disc cleanup' as suggested in the manual tonight and see if that works.

Poxy computers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Right, I've tried to install this mother about 6 times now, the furthest I've got is about 80%

Things that happen:

1) It says 'unable to find file X. Disc in drive D is wrong media' halway through loading files from one of the 3 discs.

2) It randomly pops up a box saying 'are you sure you want to quit this installation?'

3) It randomly pops up a bix saying 'Wrong Disc: Please insert disc 1' and when you do it restarts the install from scratch.

Any ideas? It's driving me farging nuts.

I will try the 'disc cleanup' as suggested in the manual tonight and see if that works.

Poxy computers...

i say one of your disks is corrupt return it to the shop ye bought it from and get a replacement

shin

i say one of your disks is corrupt return it to the shop ye bought it from and get a replacement

FFS, that would be play.com. Unless anyone would be kind enough to provide me with a "Game" receipt for BFV in which case I can swapsy it there...

Never had these problems with other BF games, though I have to admit COD was a dog to install, took several goes.

///edit

Just did some trawling on the web and found a guy who had simialr probs with BF1942. The solution put forward was a bad install. They advised doing scandisk, defrag etc and removing all references on C drive and Registry then trying again.... I'll try that later then we'll see...

Magpie, In case you haven't done this, diable all ur virus scan software and open up taskmanager and disable all unnecessary background programs like ALG.EXE and SPOOLSV.EXE. If it doesn't install now, its deffo a bogey disc. Hope all works out

Cool, thanks for the tip. I haven't disabled Norton Antivirus, so this may be the prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

FFS, that would be play.com. Unless anyone would be kind enough to provide me with a "Game" receipt for BFV in which case I can swapsy it there...

Never had these problems with other BF games, though I have to admit COD was a dog to install, took several goes.

///edit

Just did some trawling on the web and found a guy who had simialr probs with BF1942. The solution put forward was a bad install. They advised doing scandisk, defrag etc and removing all references on C drive and Registry then trying again.... I'll try that later then we'll see...

Jaysus calm down magpie how the **** did i know you got it at play.com, perils of buying online and all that

Youve tried everything else if anti virus doesnt work and scandisk and defrag doesnt work what do you think your left with

No regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If it is indeed a faulty disc you can contact EA directly. There should be a thread below somewhere with their details and how to contact them.

Or alternativly you can actually just contact play and return it sighting a faulty disc. They will send you out a new copy. They are very good at soing so. For information on the Play.com returns policy take a look at their website here

Try a full scandisc, defrag etc. and install again though.

Thanks winters, shin & greatone. We'll see how I get on tonite, otherwise back to play it is.

TheGreatOne you beauty! It was Norton that was funking up the install... I'll see y'all later in the jungle...

• Advertisement

Anythng i can do to help out the troops, well by troops i mean people i dont even know who post stuff on 'boards'.....! Glab to help

Advertisement