Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Played for an hour or two last night (couldn't get onto Vietnavan tho'.. full of foreigners!). Initial reactions are:

1) Much more cinematic than BF1942, more detailed scenery, more places to hide!
    2) Feels a little more arcade-y in some respects, reminds me of Quake 2 for some strange reason...
    3) Sound is classic, it's great to hear the music coming towards you as a VC and you start to ****e yourself. Having said that Hanoi Hannah gets seriously annoying with the "GI, you have lost this war". You should be able to turn her off!

I had some great full metal jacket moments in the top of a ruined factory in Quang Tri (sp?) with an AK-47 picking off ARVN troops as they came down the street, looking out over a giant mural of Uncle Ho. Class! And I seem to be the only one playing as 'Didi Mau', which is amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah some very good games last night, not sure of the map but it might be that one you mentioned where your woman was lashing out the propaganda.

its the one anyway where you can climb up on the wall and there is lots of connecting bridges. there was some great fights going on between the two spawn points there.

also the la drang valley i think it was, was good also last night, trouble was though with about 8 people on the team and we where doing alright against the NVA, but i look at the map and there is only three of us running around on foot, might have been me dark and koola at the time, rest of them hanging round the base for choppers and the like, and while we where taking loads of flags we we losing them as quick and i was getting well pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    rest of them hanging round the base for choppers and the like, and while we where taking loads of flags we we losing them as quick and i was getting well pissed off
    It was the same when Battlefield 1942 came out. Half the team would be haning around the planes waiting for them to spawn. Then once they spawned there would be a mass of running and team killing as everyone rushed to get to them. After a while though, people got used to it and it doesnt really happen as much anymore.
    In a week or so as people settle down with the game it probably will not happen as much. Although, constantly shouting at them on the old team messages also help. You cant do too much else until they get over the big shiney new veichle syndrome that always exists in Battlefield.

Although I hate it when a chopper spawns and one person jumps in it and flys it away. Its always a shame to see a big huey made for 4 passengers thats empty. Or a massive Chinook leaving with nobody haning out the back. Brings a tear to the eye...

Originally posted by Winters
    Brings a tear to the eye...

there there winters, there there

well i send some not so polite team messages to them last night :), stupid male macho ego coming out when i'm playing

Hmm, almost as annoying as when the entire teams runs from flag to flag like an under 11s football team chasing the ball leaving the flags in their rear undefended, thus repeating the process ad infinitum. Defend those flags people!

On the subject of vehicles nobody seemed to want the Phantom, so I had a few goes on it. Easy enough to fly, but bloody hard to hit anything. I tried to strafe an NVA base with rockets and ended up shooting down one of our hueys in mid-air. oops!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I hate the jets, but only because I can't fly them :) they are nifty for taking down the hinds tho with those heatseekers.

but your right about defending the main base...I was more or less trying to save our main base on a map the other night and it was a nightmare..VC were raining down on me left right and centre..if they get the transport hind or a tunnel up its goodnight Irene!

yeah that can be annoying as well alright, i have to say the concept of flag defending doesn't appeal to me as much as going after them, you really need a good position i think and the line people take into bases means there is always a chance they will just come in from behind you and slaughter your ass. i find this happens more in vietnam then dc i think that the flags are harder to defend imo

my heatseekers seem to have a great tendancy to take out friendly aircraft but when put to the test against the enemy seem to fail miserabley

The Phantom jet is itself vichious in mid air dog fights. If you get one of those behind you you will not survive, unless your a good pilot. The heat seakers on it make it perfect for taking down enemy whirly birds and planes, or even tanks on the ground if your close enough.

The Napalm is its second major feature. It is very much a powerful tool when used correctly. Catch an enemy soilder in your Napalm and they are more or less dead or very badly injoured [sp?]. Napalm is best used out in the open against enemy troops. Catch them out on the jungle fields and thet have little or no place to hide from it. Similarly, if your loosing a flag, call in a Napalm strike and burn them out. "Broken Arrow!". Also, it can be used effectly to scare off enemy troops out of an LZ before the choppers come in, will get those pesky stingers out of your hair for a moment or two.

Also, the smoke! Listen, smoke grenades are for calling in choppers. If I remember correctly, yellow smoke [as what the Snipers have] was used to call down choppers and indicate wounded. Smoke grenades should be used better ingame I think. They should backup a Airlift request with an indication of where you are etc. I think the light assault [M16, CAR-15] should also have a couple of smoke grenades with them.

another thing, when in in the gunship i call out to 'request a target' but no one ever seems to respond, even with the sheer amount of classes who have the binoks...same when im in an arty position or have set up a mortar..I'm relegated at taking pot shots with the arty/mortar or finding my own targets in the gunship, which in fairness isn't too hard but I'm up for supporting attacks/defence when called for.

Man, there's a lot that isn't covered in the manual...

1) aha! what I thought were rockets were heatseeking missiles, hence friendly fire incident with chopper.... Is napalm right click onthe phantom then?

2) How do you call in a napalm strike?

3) What key is smoke grenade?

I need to put in some hours, only tried out the basic assault classes last night.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by magpie
    1) aha! what I thought were rockets were heatseeking missiles, hence friendly fire incident with chopper.... Is napalm right click onthe phantom then?

Yes, Napalm is right click on the Phantom. It drops a bomb so as with planes in Battlefield 1942 you must drop before your over the targert to catch it with the run on.
    2) How do you call in a napalm strike?

You cant really "Call it in". Its just a case of using the Benoc's and request a target for artilary, or even just to say it on the team chat.

3) What key is smoke grenade?

The NVA dont have any smoke, only the US/South. And also only the twi snipers have it. Click on the Sniper class and both the M20 and M16 w/scope have smoke grenades. I would very much like to see the infantry M16/CAR-15 guys to have at least one or two. When used correctly they are useful to choppers.

Yes, must admit A LOT was left out of the Manual. I would go so far as to say it was nearly rushed. However, the only time I read the manuals was on the DART/Bus home waiting the play :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Winters
    The NVA dont have any smoke, only the US/South. And also only the twi snipers have it. Click on the Sniper class and both the M20 and M16 w/scope have smoke grenades. I would very much like to see the infantry M16/CAR-15 guys to have at least one or two. When used correctly they are useful to choppers.

I use the M16 w/scope a lot, the smoke can be brilliant for confusing people, haven’t used them with the choppers, normally around a flag point or when trying to get away from a tank or something.

there is one way of beating the heatseekers - but it doesn't work all the time and in fairness you have to see it comming straing at you. But they wont lock on to a chopper with no pilot, I have only done it once, i saw it jumped to the copilot seat and sure enough it flew straight by..still good to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hmm...flying low in a chopper..."AH ****..stinger!! I'll just hopp into the passenger seat..wait for to go by and hope i dont crash!!"

*might* just work..I'll try it on a lan next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Played it on lan over the weekend. I like it. The maps have a much more realistic feel to them, loads of nice little touches. Graphics are excellent, particularly the foliage. Weapons are good, and the gameplay is generally a little bit of an improvement over bf1942.
    Also, to my shock, the game runs very smoothly on my geforce2 gts 32mb. According to the readme it shouldn't even work :) I'm using medium detail, 800 x 600 x 16.

However, I don't like the choppers very much. The improvements for choppers are welcome, such as heat seekers, artificial horizon and winches, but there are major flaws. The chinook is far, far too easy to fly, and far too quick to turn ( it turns quicker than the black hawk in dc ). The cobra is a bit more realistic, but I still don't feel nearly as much in control as with a hind or apache in dc. I think too much of an effort has been made to appease those who moaned about choppers being difficult to fly. Well, if you can't manage choppers, don't try to fly them. Hitch a lift and help out by manning a gun. Or shoot them down, whatever. I also despise the auto-hover functionality, actually makes it tougher to put a chopper down in a hurry. Because of the flawed choppers, I'll still be playing a lot of dc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 J K Partridge

Yeap - Im hooked - Do you know if its possible to get on the ropes dangling from the helicopters ? Or do they have to be firmly on the ground before boarding ??

I have to say I attempted to fly one of the jets - took off fine - after a brief warning about leaving the battle zone - I redirected my jet into a upsidedown loop and hit the sea at mach 1 !!
    Who needs the enemy !

They seem to have addressed some of the problems with the other battlefields in that your never too far away from the action - and you dont spend your who time running trying to find out where the action is.
    Also the waepons are awesome too.

We have a liberation server - I can see it changing to a battlefield one real soon !!!

Originally posted by J K Partridge
    Yeap - Im hooked - Do you know if its possible to get on the ropes dangling from the helicopters ? Or do they have to be firmly on the ground before boarding ??

When flying the chopper press the Alternate Fire button,this will lower a chain from your chopper. Move it over most of the US veichles [will not work with NVA ones] and hover over the middle. On the bottom right of the screen the green light will come on if its hooked and a red one if it isint hooked/missed the hook.

Once you hook it, which can take a bit of time [as you all know with me :) ] you can let go of the Alternate Fire button and fly away. Bear in mind however, you need to fly a bit higher, if you have something dangleing from below and you hit a tree it will just fall off. And also its like flying a brick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I think he means infantry gettin into the choppers via the ropes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Is anybody else constantly gettin disconnected from the server after only about 15 seconds of play? It kept happening to me today, i tried about 20 different servers but the same thing kept happening. its not my connection, im using DSL. Anybody have any clues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Make sure you have punkbuster enabled in the multiplayer options.someone else might have a better idea :confused:

CombatCow

• Advertisement

Also make sure your Punkbuster client is updated to the most recent. It should update automaticly but if it doesnt you can manually update it too. See the Patches and Mods thread for info on updating it.

Nah, I've enabled punkbuster and ive shutdown and reconnected about five times. thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

MY CD or 3 has arrived ...finally...

hope to see ye on server soon....itll prolly take me a while to configure.

J

I think I've sussed the problem. I changed the connection setting at the server screen to 56K and it seems to have done the trick even tho I'm on DSL. Hope this helps others if the same problem occurs.

No, ****in started again tonight. Man this **** sucks.

Give us full details on what you have running etc.

If you have a firewall running disable it while you play. That might work as some firewalls dont work too good with games.

Also make sure you have nothing running in the background that could be causing a timeout to the server etc.

And, if all else fails, try a reinstall :)

Running XP@3.0Ghz P4 w/HDD tech, 512mb SDRAM, Integrated digital 5.1 audio Max(CRAP!!), GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB DDR and using DSL connection.
    I'll give it another shot tomorrow evening with firewall disabled and see what happens. Such a kick in the nuts tho, the game rocks.
    Cheers .Win

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Gerry, you said in one of your post's that you have vietnam running on medium detail 800x600 on a 32mb geforce2 ? how in gods name can that be smooth?

i cannot get my pc or laptop to play above 800x600 on low detail :(

anyone else got any suggestions, first off the pc, athlon xp 2400, 1Gb Ram and a 64Mb Geforce 3 Ti500. if i leave if on 800x600 but put details to medium buildings don't appear, i just see right through tents and wooden cabins and stuff, i can see ammo and health restocks inside and when i try walk to them i can coz there is a wall there but i can't see it, so for that reason i've been forced to keep the pc running on low detail.

the laptop is a p4 2.66, 512Mb ram and a 64Mb ati radeon mobility 9000, again i'm stuck with 800x600 and low detail any increase in either details or res and it gets too jumpy to play :(

it's a total bummer coz the game itself is quiet good and well worth the €15, i was just hoping i might be able to get some sort of half decent resoloution and detail going in the game :mad:

anyone got any suggestions for either laptop or pc?

oh and before anyone suggests updating graphics card drivers, laptop cannot be updated coz it came with drivers more up to date than the manufactures website has to download, and the pc i cant update the nvidia drivers passed the current set which is 40.41 any later drivers conflict with and make my dxr3 decoder card useless :-\

all other suggestions welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Well after installing the game yesterday evening and giving it a good hour which isnt enough time but the weekend is ahead of me I have the following comments.

I think I am going to love this game.

The chop[per controls are sooo differant to DC that its almost wierdness...Its kind of designed like a 3-d chopper game for arcades i.e. too easy but i can fly now :) Well almost.

The graphics are excellent (it did remind me a bit of vietcong) . After updating to proper drivers for my 9700 radeon it was running extremly smoothly with graphics set to medium level...I dare not set to high.

I hate the user interface...I found it difficult to find the buttons at the start...think they cluttered everything to the left which i hate. but hopefully ppl will start to mod and release differant UI designs.

They gonna have to do something about the US m60 gun its way too powerful.

Apart from that i enjoyed my first hour. with many more hours of fin to come

• Advertisement

has someone got a link for updating graphics drivers? I'm sure this has been posted already, but I'm too lazy to look. Thanks.

Advertisement